Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 06:43 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,742,040 times

Advertisements

Could't you get on welfare and food stamps just as your benefits ran out?

I got back on SSDI and Medicare A & B and state Medicaid before my benefits ran out. I also moved back into my parent's house to live rent free... So I'm sitting good and I don't have to work a minimum wage job to enjoy good food on $1095 monthly SSDI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 07:54 PM

117 posts, read 218,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Could't you get on welfare and food stamps just as your benefits ran out?

I got back on SSDI and Medicare A & B and state Medicaid before my benefits ran out. I also moved back into my parent's house to live rent free... So I'm sitting good and I don't have to work a minimum wage job to enjoy good food on $1095 monthly SSDI.
Who You Talkin Too?

This Sounds Great, Good For You!!!

Not All of Us are Disabled? That would be nice bennie, but many not applicable, or interested.

I'm Legal Guardian of My Mother, in Nursing Home!!
She's 94 yo & indigent!!

Welfare or Medicaid is only for Families with Children!!

No Children = No Help For Housing or Cash or Insurance!!

Just a "Good Luck"!!!!

Real World Here, Reality of Many!!

Old 06-22-2010, 08:21 PM

348 posts, read 706,901 times
You may be forced into doing what ever you have to to survive. That is a terrible thought. Unfortunately its not only a thought for some, it is a reality? Ever heard 3 square and a cot. Summer is doable but winter?

Old 06-22-2010, 09:24 PM

4 posts, read 8,137 times
Default I hope this is true

Note: This article has received so much traffic in a few short minutes, that we have had to move to a text-only version of the page.
Commentary: Best Chance For Unemployment Extension (Including Tier 5) Is A Standalone Bill

If America's long-term unemployed have learned one thing in the past few months, it's that given the chance, a number of Senate Republicans are likely to stand in the way of extending unemployment benefits.

Some of the reservations have to do with fiscal policy, some of it has to do with pure political calculations. But time and time again, a few Senate Republicans have continued to throw legislative roadblocks in front of any bill that hopes to extend unemployment benefits to the millions of Americans who have been unemployed for longer than six months.

The opponents of unemployment extensions have succeeded in part because the extensions have been rolled into "jobs" bills that include all sorts of tax breaks and other stimulus ideas. That mix of ideas not only increases the overall costs of the bill, but it makes it much easier to oppose the bill on grounds that have little to do with unemployment. Opponents have been able to block passage by arguing that they're not saying "no" to the unemployed. They are saying no to COBRA help, or Medicare rembursement changes or any other part of the bill that is politically easier to oppose.

I've spoken with a number of legislators and staffers over the past few weeks and an idea has been percolating in the Senate hallways that makes a lot of sense to me. Create a bill with nothing but an unemployment extension in it. Extend the filing deadlines through the end of the year, add an additional 13 weeks of benefits for those people who have exhausted their coverage and include a statement that "because the economy is improving, we believe this is the last extension we shall need."

While the plan would involve passing the bill through the House and the Senate, in some ways it is not just a helpful bill for the unemployed, but also for Democrats. The bill would force Republicans to vote yes or no on extending unemployment benefits. And many people I spoke with thought that prospect would encourage some Republicans facing difficult challenges in November to support the bill.

So this might be the time for a renewed effort by the unemployed to reach out to the media and their legislators. Citizen-organized efforts in the past few months have convinced many in the media and on The Hill that the need exists for extended unemployment benefits. Now is the time to show them a way to get the job done.

Rick Ellis>
rick@allyourtv.com

Old 06-23-2010, 08:00 AM

140 posts, read 373,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiomara103 View Post
Note: This article has received so much traffic in a few short minutes, that we have had to move to a text-only version of the page.
Commentary: Best Chance For Unemployment Extension (Including Tier 5) Is A Standalone Bill

If America's long-term unemployed have learned one thing in the past few months, it's that given the chance, a number of Senate Republicans are likely to stand in the way of extending unemployment benefits.

Some of the reservations have to do with fiscal policy, some of it has to do with pure political calculations. But time and time again, a few Senate Republicans have continued to throw legislative roadblocks in front of any bill that hopes to extend unemployment benefits to the millions of Americans who have been unemployed for longer than six months.

The opponents of unemployment extensions have succeeded in part because the extensions have been rolled into "jobs" bills that include all sorts of tax breaks and other stimulus ideas. That mix of ideas not only increases the overall costs of the bill, but it makes it much easier to oppose the bill on grounds that have little to do with unemployment. Opponents have been able to block passage by arguing that they're not saying "no" to the unemployed. They are saying no to COBRA help, or Medicare rembursement changes or any other part of the bill that is politically easier to oppose.

I've spoken with a number of legislators and staffers over the past few weeks and an idea has been percolating in the Senate hallways that makes a lot of sense to me. Create a bill with nothing but an unemployment extension in it. Extend the filing deadlines through the end of the year, add an additional 13 weeks of benefits for those people who have exhausted their coverage and include a statement that "because the economy is improving, we believe this is the last extension we shall need."

While the plan would involve passing the bill through the House and the Senate, in some ways it is not just a helpful bill for the unemployed, but also for Democrats. The bill would force Republicans to vote yes or no on extending unemployment benefits. And many people I spoke with thought that prospect would encourage some Republicans facing difficult challenges in November to support the bill.

So this might be the time for a renewed effort by the unemployed to reach out to the media and their legislators. Citizen-organized efforts in the past few months have convinced many in the media and on The Hill that the need exists for extended unemployment benefits. Now is the time to show them a way to get the job done.

Rick Ellis>
rick@allyourtv.com
Some of the people on our side to contact so they can sponsor a stand alone bill.

Senator Sheldon Whitehouse | Senator for Rhode Island: Contact

Senator Sherrod Brown | Senator for Ohio: Contact Senator Brown

Senator Charles E. Schumer (http://schumer.senate.gov/new_website/contact.cfm - broken link)

E-mail Senator Stabenow (http://stabenow.senate.gov/email.cfm - broken link)

U.S. Senator Richard J. Durbin (http://durbin.senate.gov/contact.cfm - broken link)

Contact Senator Sanders: U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders (Vermont)

Congressman Jim McDermott - Representing Washington State's 7th Congressional District

Old 07-08-2010, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,904 times
It is sad that so many people are in real trouble there are no jobs out there not even burger kind is hiring. Welfare even with kids doesnt pay the bills unless you get subsidised housing which guess what those are so overburdened that those lists dont open until at least 3-5 years. The welfare money you would get once your unemployment has ended is not enough to even pay the rent to keep a roof over your head. So as this crisis continues there will be more and more homeless people with no room in the shelters. No jobs not even min wage positions and there is openings you are now competing with many others In the united states there is a 1 job for every 6 people right now. And the fact is i am sure that is alot higher but that is what the government is agreeing to admit to. Whats going to happen when we all go to the streets. More tent cities and our kids will be put into fostercare because there are simply not enough jobs out there and discrimination for the middle age and pre retirement is running rampit. All unemployed issues needs to be address. Get the facts before you give advice of something you dont know too much about

Old 07-10-2010, 02:35 PM

43 posts, read 93,825 times
Default For All Of Us 99R's

As we all know, things don't look good for adding an additional Tier or a Tier 5. I guees that we need to look on the bright side should a 5th Tier not be established. What is the bright side you ask? Well, assuming that unemployment benefits are extended, and I'm confident that they will be, whatever jobs become available, put the 99R's in a better position to not only apply, but to be hired as well. How do I know this? Well, I don't for certain but I do know that those collecting unemployment can me more selective in thier job search, and others my not search at all as long as they're collecting. At least that's what the Feds are thinking will happen.
There is no question however, that a 5th.Tier is needed for there is still anywhere from 6 to 10 individuals applying for whatever job becomes available. If you're in your late 50's, it's more difficult for you to be hired over the current graduates, and those who are half our age. We need to do our best to remain positive, and that's all we can do at this point after having written our Senators and Congressman and by all means, don't forget the White House.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:47 AM

870 posts, read 1,405,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhondainrhodeilsland View Post
It is sad that so many people are in real trouble there are no jobs out there not even burger kind is hiring. Welfare even with kids doesnt pay the bills unless you get subsidised housing which guess what those are so overburdened that those lists dont open until at least 3-5 years. The welfare money you would get once your unemployment has ended is not enough to even pay the rent to keep a roof over your head. So as this crisis continues there will be more and more homeless people with no room in the shelters. No jobs not even min wage positions and there is openings you are now competing with many others In the united states there is a 1 job for every 6 people right now. And the fact is i am sure that is alot higher but that is what the government is agreeing to admit to. Whats going to happen when we all go to the streets. More tent cities and our kids will be put into fostercare because there are simply not enough jobs out there and discrimination for the middle age and pre retirement is running rampit. All unemployed issues needs to be address. Get the facts before you give advice of something you dont know too much about

You have said much in a relatively small space and I agree with the reality you have described. This is preferred to be a hidden truth by many and many even in our own communities are not aware of how the media and Congress in particular have kept the severity of this tragedy about the unemployed as low key as it has been. We need to continue to apply the pressure and inundate Congressional offices with our cries of outrage that the victim's of this systemic failure are being treated with such disdain by their own legislators. Let's continue to voice this especially THIS week since the tone NEEDS to be set before and during Congressmen's return to the senate floor. MAKE THOSE CALLS!

YouTube - Unemployment Extension Update Friday, July 9, 2010#!

YouTube - Unemployment Extension Saturday, July 10, 2010.

YouTube - Unemployment Benefits Extension June 30 2010 - C-span coverage, HR 5618 S3520 cloture vote

Last edited by South Jersey Man; 07-12-2010 at 09:37 AM..

Old 07-12-2010, 09:12 AM

2,794 posts, read 3,677,328 times
Here is a sample letter for redress of grievances for the State of California.

We could solve poverty for individual labor market participants in our time and secure the economic Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our posterity by simply bearing true witness to our own Ninth Amendment, a federal doctrine, and State at-will employment laws.

If we can't be "legal" to our own laws, why should we expect less fortunate illegals to be any more legal to our own laws? A market friendly work visa would solve the problem of illegals by requiring a fine for the privilege of providing labor input in US markets; and would generate revenue to pay for unemployment compensation that conforms to at-will employment laws in the several States.

This approach would let the several States provide for their own general welfare and reduce federal encroachment on States' rights. It could take awhile to work its way through the courts, but the law is clear on this topic.

The federal government is specifically delegated the power to pay the debts of the several United States in their provision of their general welfare in section 8, Article 1 of our federal Constitution.

A letter to EDD.

Dear Sir or Madam:

Please consider this a petition for redress of grievances concerning unemployment compensation in our at-will employment State. We have a Ninth Amendment, a federal doctrine, and our State at-will employment laws (CA labor code 2922).

While I understand that your department must follow laws enacted by our elected representatives to government, I find it somewhat astonishing that EDD requires for-cause criteria for unemployment compensation, without having to prove a for-cause employment relationship.

I don't claim to be an expert on conflict of laws or choice of law; but, it seems to me, that unemployment compensation in an at-will employment State should be on the same at-will basis as an employment relationship; and, that the entity claiming for-cause criteria must prove such an employment relationship existed. I am not claiming I was discharged from any for-cause employment.

I understand that this could infringe on State public policy decisions; but, States are specifically denied and disparaged in their “natural” States' right to impair in the obligation of Contracts, in Article 1, Section 10 of our federal Constitution. An at-will employment contract is a Contract.

Promoting and providing for the general welfare is, in my opinion, a States' right. Our federal Congress is specifically delegated the power to pay the debts of the several United States; and, the cost of this public policy decision should not be subject to political passions of the moment by our elected representatives to government.

In my view, eliminating poverty in our State is providing for the general welfare of our State. Unemployment compensation that meets or exceeds the official State poverty guidelines could also solve poverty for the individual labor market participant, in a much more market friendly manner than welfare currently does.

I look forward to any suggestions or advice on proceeding with this matter. I have already written (online) to our elected representatives to our federal and state governments concerning this petition.

Sincerely,

Old 07-12-2010, 09:26 AM

125 posts, read 280,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginej5q View Post
I do know that those collecting unemployment can me more selective in thier job search, and others my not search at all as long as they're collecting. At least that's what the Feds are thinking will happen.
(bolds mine)
Oh, heck, yeah. I'm being far more selective while I watch the clock tick away on my few remaining benefits. Sure I'm grateful for them, but "selective" assumes there is somehow a list of jobs that I can now select from at my leisure. Not so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment