Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 01:00 PM

382 posts, read 1,922,360 times

Advertisements

NY is under 20 EB weeks. You will receive your 6 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 03:00 PM

6 posts, read 9,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
The job market is over-saturated, period.

I guess it depends on a realistic appraisal of the field you want to go into. But - many employers demand that BA whether or not it is of any value to the position. Many going to college in the past decade have had to look at it as the price of admission to the job market. Their MA in high school! Just another way many employers weed people out. I went to college. I know the spiel, but it seems so 1950's economically in view of today's situation. I think it was oversold. Heck - even my kids call it the 13th [thru 16th] grade.

Personally I would advise someone starting out to think about apprenticing to a trade that can't be outsourced. Can't send an electrician in from overseas to fix your burnt out circuit panel. I kind of resent the "unskilled" term. No sure what that means. You can be skilled in tons of marketable things that don't require college. People were told/sold that education [read college]is the key - and in certain specialized fields, yes. But to advise every kid to get a BA was nuts. They were also advised that "manual" labor was not something you could do well in financially -- but ask your friendly local HVAC guy how his income is.

Sure other countries push education too, but in many it doesn't cost so much. And truth be told we have many US grads going without jobs because of that. In general our education is so expensive that they can't compete with Visa workers & still pay off their loans.

There are fewer jobs for everyone. & in no way do I feel a BA guarantees you a job like it did 50 yrs ago. That UE figure for college grads is misleading in that it only covers people who are unemployed -- as opposed to grads who never got jobs in the 1st place. All it tells you is that if someone went to college & got a job ??? years ago, they are less likely to now be unemployed. Personal experience is, many new unemployed grads are now filling up grad schools in hope the economy turns around, or getting another BA. Hope it works, but have my doubts.
Thank You - perfect explanation of what's been going on for decades now!!!

It's finally catching up with us and unfortunately our kids who were taught by our public schools that manual labor is bad (remember Wood Shop, Metal Shop and Auto Mechanics)? So sit down and shut up because we (the Public School system) know what's better for you...got to keep loading that conveyor belt to college!

Old 03-28-2011, 06:47 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,226,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D A Madden View Post
I'm 52 and when I go in for a job interview and there is a 28 to 35 year olds --they look over me---I have experience and am gun ho but after over 2000+ faxes,resumes,applications with very few interviews--no cup of tea for us 99ers---I want to work if work is offered---what about us!!
I feel for you. I too am 52. Age discrination is gvery real, in the job market!

Old 03-28-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
What protests? I live in northern California.

I am still hoping to convince our elected representatives to government, to simply bear true witness to our own laws.
California is the worst state in the country, to find full-time, long-term employment in. Employers there, seem bent on limiting employment to part-time, temp, or other types of contingent employment. Employers also love to engage in exploitative, and even unlawful labor practices. You live there, so I KNOW that you must be having a rough time of it, regarding finding a full-time long-term job.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
That's what they do in Denmark - make work programs - with only a 4.2% unemployment rate and standard term for collecting unemployment of two years. Previously, it had been four years, but they can't afford it any more.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/17/bu...17denmark.html

Seems to me, that Denmark cares about their citizens. The US, only cares about those who are wealthy!

Old 03-28-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Spend America back into prosperity?

Why not just propose putting everyone on unemployment and the government give everyone $1000 a week and we can all go shopping all day, no job to get in the way.

Spending is putting us into debt. It's time to stop the big spending with money that doesn't exist.
Spending on the $800 BILLION dollar bailouts for the banks and Wall Street, and at least $600 BILLION dollars on the two wars, are what have caused our massive debt, NOT spending on UE benefits!

Last edited by artwomyn; 03-28-2011 at 08:41 AM..

Old 03-28-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
call it ignorance from me, but if you cant find a job in 99 weeks you just arn't trying.

i work full time and am looking for a second job. this past week ive had 3 interviews, 2 i declined because i wouldn't be able to attend, and i just got another call back today for a job ill inquire about on monday, while completing a phone interview this morning on my 15 min break.

the problem is people settle in one area and focus on that and dont bother looking at anything else.

i know the unemployed plight, i was one of them for awhile. i was on unemployment for about 3 months, so i know how it goes. and what i believe is the 99ers either 1. focus only on a specific area, 2. dont know how to conduct a job search, 3. dont look at other types of work like temp agencies, etc.

you cannot be that unlucky to go 99 weeks without getting a job unless you are doing something wrong.
Most of the 99ers, are over 45. So they face age discrimination. I'd be willing to bet that you're under 45. And probably don't need a real job, to support yourself. People can't live on temp jobs, that may disappear at any time. Same with minimum wage jobs.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
It is unfortunate, but people need to realize that the good times are over whether they are employed or not. I only make minimum wage now and still get by. At one time I made $5,000 a month. If I make do on less, so can everyone else.
You must not cre how you live, if you find minimum wage acceptable, as a means to support yourself. Most people just want a safe, clean place and neighborhood to live in, and be able to put food on their tables, and to pay their basic expenses.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:45 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,255,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
You must not cre how you live, if you find minimum wage acceptable, as a means to support yourself. Most people just want a safe, clean place and neighborhood to live in, and be able to put food on their tables, and to pay their basic expenses.
I pay all my bills on my minimum wage job, and have been doing it for the last 4 years. I have my own apartment (which is safe, I have the roaches to protect me) and car and also have more than enough to pay my basic living expenses since I am very frugal. You made a point to put a "roll eyes" emoticon at the end of your post. Why is that?

Old 03-28-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I pay all my bills on my minimum wage job, and have been doing it for the last 4 years. I have my own apartment (which is safe, I have the roaches to protect me) and car and also have more than enough to pay my basic living expenses since I am very frugal. You made a point to put a "roll eyes" emoticon at the end of your post. Why is that?
I won't quibble with you about an emoticon. Just because you survive on minimum wage, doesn't mean that everyone can afford to. Especially those with families to support!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment