Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 12:56 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,973,693 times

Advertisements

So I told myself last month if I didn't get a job by the end of next week, I'm going to look into temp work. I'm worried about say I work for 3 months at a temp job and it ends...is it easy to restart my UI benefits? I'm near the end of Tier 1 in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 01:48 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,083,682 times
I would never recommend temp work until you draw your last UI check.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:02 PM

18 posts, read 36,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
So I told myself last month if I didn't get a job by the end of next week, I'm going to look into temp work. I'm worried about say I work for 3 months at a temp job and it ends...is it easy to restart my UI benefits? I'm near the end of Tier 1 in CA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
I would never recommend temp work until you draw your last UI check.
Agreed with Chyvan. I wouldn't even recommend part-time work. The system is built to take advantage of you in those scenarios.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:21 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
I know you can still collect benefits if you are working part time because that's what I am doing.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:36 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I know you can still collect benefits if you are working part time because that's what I am doing.
Yes, you can but if you lose that part-time job your benefits will be reviewed and adjusted accordingly, likely down and if you should quit you'll lose all your benefits because you quit and the previous job doesn't matter anymore. You're taking a chance most shouldn't take.

OP don't do it! The temp agency will force you into a low wage job when that temp assignment ends and then your benefits will be readjusted. Temp agencies are vultures and they are not interested in your welfare.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:07 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
And, even if you survive all that, when you reopen the new claim next year on the BYE (or get a job and lose it after a time) you will be paid based on those part time earnings.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:38 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,973,693 times
Hmmm, the temp jobs I see are full time...pay more than the max UI benefits I'm getting. I'm really sick of being home and doing nothing. I've had interviews but things take time...

Old 07-30-2012, 06:53 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
Make sure they are long term temp jobs. And NEVER take one that is less than what you were making before, that can cause UI to reset the wage that you are expected to accept.

If you were making $25/hr before, you can reasonably not accept jobs for $12/hr. However, if you take a temp job at $12/hr, you are now very possibly obligated to accept a permanent job at that amount.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:27 AM

67 posts, read 229,578 times
I think you have to do what is best for you. I hve done temp work and have gained great experience out of my normal skills. my first temp job was as a mortgage helper/date entry at a large bank which led to great new skills and led me easily getting a year long temp job as a marketing coordinator for the Mortgage division at another large Hawaii bank. (Marketing being my background) I now am considered for a range of those type of jobs and I diid not have that experience 2 years ago. They look good on my resume too.

But I agree, pick what is the lowest wage you can live off of and don't go below that. I'm guessing the higher the wage you choose, the less jobs there may be. I guess it depends on where you live. When I signed for UI benefits, I listed what my min wage was and it was dependant on my last position (which was another one after the year long assignment I mentioned, $2 less to be honest). There are plusses and minuses to being a temp during an UI period. I can live off of the min amount I chose, but I cannot stretch it going below that because I am seeing temp wages getting lower in my city than previously for some reason (shockingly low), so no matter how good the job sounds, i wont take it if under my min amount because I will start getting down to clerical assistant temp wages. Granted, I do have to weight the potential of it being eventually permanent, and that certainly can happen. I've seen it often, just hasn't come my way yet. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment