Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 08:10 PM

2 posts, read 9,438 times

Advertisements

I've been receiving UE for almost a year now (began Jan2013) I was using paper forms for a few months and for a while I was always staring at the [X] box for recording your work search history. After a while i stopped looking at it as it was never checked, then switched to webcert which was way easier. So i've been searching for work on craigslist, online, dropping by local stores and word of mouth. I get EDD letters like clockwork every two weeks and "file" them. In other words never opened them after I started using webcert.

My wife is going back to work (was a stay at home mom and I'm gonna start being the stay at home dad if i don't find something by the end of this year (as I got a letter stating that benefits will be cut then). Basically If nothing happens by end of year. I'm giving up the job search after 12 months of failure. We're moving to a smaller place. Selling a car, etc. My wife is much more able to find work (though much lower paying). But if i took over the kids sooner then i would no longer be available for work and couldn't collect UE...

Well a few days ago i get two different looking letters from the EDD. One states "Notice of Determination", the other is "Notice of Overpayment". Apparently someone did a random audit of a week in october and i didn't have work search on file? I never was asked to submit it. Actually I didn't even know i was supposed to be collecting it! So now i have no history of work search for the entire year. since whenever they started checking that box and the part that really really worries me is this " You are not eligible to receive benefits Beginning 10/13/13 and ending when the disqualifying conditions no longer exist and you contact the above office to reopen your claim."

in my overpayment letter they are saying the overpayment amount is only 1 weeks worth.

So are they gonna eventually ask for all the weeks from 10/13 forward? or is this just a single week issue? i certainly have no problem paying for my lack of work search record keeping by giving up a single week of pay, hell i don't care if they completely cut me off as I'm basically quiting my search in a few weeks anyway, but if they want all the UE i've collected since they started checking the box (since i have no records of any weeks) i'll be completely unable to pay. hell will this raise a flag and they'll do an audit for the entire year?

Anyone have any idea of what i should expect? I don't want to call and ask cause that'll just bring to light that i have no search history for the whole year and i don't want to open up that can. I've worked non-stop since I graduated HS, worked through college and have never ever collected UE before. I've never been unemployed before. I don't feel bad about collecting UE for a year while looking for work as i feel i've put way more money into the system through Taxes, UE insurance, disability, etc and i've never taken a dime from the gov't before. Now this happens a two weeks from when i'm scheduled to stop collecting and something like this could completely devastate us.

Can i just accept the 1 week of overpayment and move on, stop collecting now and forget about the whole thing or is this can of worms just starting to open. I'd like to sleep tonight so any advice is appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 08:34 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
CA will eventually send you a dunning notice for 10/13, possibly to present. Not sure about that, with their new computer software. They may just restrict this "overpayment" to one week.

That said, let sleeping dogs lie. Don't call to reopen the claim.

CA won't chase you down for the money - but will keep that overpayment on record in the event you open another claim.

Further, CA participates in the Federal Offset Program - so if you have tax refunds coming from the IRS and/or the State of CA, or both, they will be attached to cover the overpayment.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:55 PM

2 posts, read 9,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
CA will eventually send you a dunning notice for 10/13, possibly to present. Not sure about that, with their new computer software. They may just restrict this "overpayment" to one week.

That said, let sleeping dogs lie. Don't call to reopen the claim.

CA won't chase you down for the money - but will keep that overpayment on record in the event you open another claim.

Further, CA participates in the Federal Offset Program - so if you have tax refunds coming from the IRS and/or the State of CA, or both, they will be attached to cover the overpayment.
Present what? What's a dunning notice? I did a webcert claim yesterday as well (got the letters today) so i normally would get paid to the EDD card tonight. Maybe they'll just take out the week's pay out of that? The letter says to mail a check to the field office at the top of the paper (it's an Elk Grove, CA address). I guess i'll see what happens. If they don't deposit anything then I'll keep my mouth shut and send a check, if they deposit only one week's worth then I'll keep my mouth shut and move on. Either way I won't be filing any more claims and just quit this a few weeks earlier than we anticipated....

Old 12-17-2013, 01:10 AM

15 posts, read 20,982 times
"Present" as in "right now".

Old 12-17-2013, 09:41 AM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyelguapo View Post
Present what? What's a dunning notice?
Heh - an old-fashioned word for collection notice:
Quote:
dun 1 (dn)tr.v. dunned, dun·ning, duns To importune (a debtor) for payment: a dunning letter.

n.1. One that duns.
2. An importunate demand for payment.

dun - definition of dun by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
"Present" - means payments from 10/13 to now.

Let us know if you get paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment