Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 10:07 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,154,156 times

Advertisements

Do NOT report it. It was required to be reported on the UI application, OR the employer had a chance to report it on the paper work they received concerning why you were separated.

This wasn't some surprise thing. DUA KNOWS about this either because YOU reported it, or the employer did.

Claim forms are about "earnings" because of WORK that you did for MONEY during the dates listed. YOU did NO WORK.

Nothing you have posted where you think it might need to be reported has changed my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 10:23 AM

https://www.masslegalservices.org/sy...brary/1400.pdf

1415 S "This*is*payment*at*the*time*of*separation*for*ear ned*but*not*used*cumulative*vacation*or*sick* leave.*This*payment*is*received*not*in*a*period*of *regular*employment*because*the*employment* relationship*has*been*severed.*Such*payments*are*non‐disqualifying."

This is why DUA needs to know on the UI application, not on the claim form. Claim forms are about offsets to UI benefits. The application is so that the straggling payment can't create 2nd-year claim eligibility.

Old 03-11-2019, 02:23 PM

514 posts, read 441,389 times
Got it Chyvan! Thank you for your continued help and time, much appreciated!

Just so that I can sleep better, my payment for unused vacation was paid few weeks after the last day of employment. In other words, I received the income in a week when I'm unemployed but it was for services (in this case unused vacation when employed). I don't think that makes any difference. Right?

Yes, I'm clear now that I don't need to change anything on the weekly claim request and this was already reported at the beginning of the process when filing the UI claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
https://www.masslegalservices.org/sy...brary/1400.pdf

1415 S "This*is*payment*at*the*time*of*separation*for*ear ned*but*not*used*cumulative*vacation*or*sick* leave.*This*payment*is*received*not*in*a*period*of *regular*employment*because*the*employment* relationship*has*been*severed.*Such*payments*are*non‐disqualifying."

This is why DUA needs to know on the UI application, not on the claim form. Claim forms are about offsets to UI benefits. The application is so that the straggling payment can't create 2nd-year claim eligibility.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post
In other words, I received the income in a week when I'm unemployed but it was for services (in this case unused vacation when employed). I don't think that makes any difference. Right?
I'm not sure what you're asking here.

It was money you earned PRIOR to becoming unemployed. Had the employer not paid you vacation pay, they'd have paid you 50 cents more an hour and given you unpaid time off when you wanted it, and it would have been for work PRIOR to even filing the claim.

While not all states do it this way, it's clear that MA does. Vacation paid when you don't have a job to go back to, is NO vacation. They are just cashing you out what you were owed for the "deferred" work that you'd already done.

The payment will be reported via the quarterly employer reporting. It will look like you received money while on UI, BUT DUA will then look at the UI application and employer response, see that vacation was part of the final pay, and then move on with something else.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:48 PM

Sorry for any confusion. I'm thinking out loud to see if there're any issues with it. I don't think there're any. It's about the timing of getting paid for unused vacation. Employees separates from employment, normally employer would have paid the terminated employee anything owed to him at the time of termination. In this case, the payment for unused vacation was made few weeks after the termination date due to employer's payment/payroll cycle. I don't think this impacts the employee's UI reporting in any way but sharing it just in case there's any potential issue.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're asking here.

It was money you earned PRIOR to becoming unemployed. Had the employer not paid you vacation pay, they'd have paid you 50 cents more an hour and given you unpaid time off when you wanted it, and it would have been for work PRIOR to even filing the claim.

While not all states do it this way, it's clear that MA does. Vacation paid when you don't have a job to go back to, is NO vacation. They are just cashing you out what you were owed for the "deferred" work that you'd already done.

The payment will be reported via the quarterly employer reporting. It will look like you received money while on UI, BUT DUA will then look at the UI application and employer response, see that vacation was part of the final pay, and then move on with something else.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post
In this case, the payment for unused vacation was made few weeks after the termination date due to employer's payment/payroll cycle.
Doesn't matter. The payment is for something in the past. The employer and you were both asked about it. The information was collected. It doesn't matter if they paid it a year later because you had to sue to get your money. It doesn't change the character of the payment.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:42 PM

Got it.. thanks for the response! I went back and checked the original UI (available through DUA account as PDF) and it does record the Yes to "expecting to receive vacation pay" question so it should be sufficient record that claimant reported the expected vacation pay. As far as not reporting it as part of the weekly benefit request, the language on the question mentions Holiday pay but is not definitive on whether vacation pay is covered by the question so one should be OK in this case answering No.

Bear with me, I'm not asking any question, simply thinking out loud for anyone who may be looking at it later and may have same concerns or confusion as me!

Quote:
Doesn't matter. The payment is for something in the past. The employer and you were both asked about it. The information was collected. It doesn't matter if they paid it a year later because you had to sue to get your money. It doesn't change the character of the payment.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:13 AM

That link from my earlier post is under the definitions.

(F)*Holiday*Pay* * A*payment*from*an*employer*for*a*holiday*(Labor*Da y,*July*4th,*etc.,)*which*occurs*during*a* week*when*the*employees*are*otherwise*on*unpaid*la yoff.*This*type*of*payment*is*treated*as* earnings*and*is*disqualifying.

Vacation and Holiday have very distinct means, and the question you are being asked is silent regarding "vacation." You're on firm ground.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:33 PM

Yeah! Makes me feel better and I agree. Let's wait and watch. Thanks as always!
Quote:
That link from my earlier post is under the definitions.

(F)*Holiday*Pay* * A*payment*from*an*employer*for*a*holiday*(Labor*Da y,*July*4th,*etc.,)*which*occurs*during*a* week*when*the*employees*are*otherwise*on*unpaid*la yoff.*This*type*of*payment*is*treated*as* earnings*and*is*disqualifying.

Vacation and Holiday have very distinct means, and the question you are being asked is silent regarding "vacation." You're on firm ground.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:28 AM

25 posts, read 19,994 times
Hi I was wondering if you heard anything about your claim yet? I’m also waiting and was told everything looks good and it is with an adjuster!! Stressful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment