Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 04:04 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,154,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post
Also am I right in thinking that it's voluntary to disclose whether one is pursuing UI when applying for jobs? I think so but asking to make sure.
You don't have to tell anyone that you're on UI, but they're not stupid. If you're out of work, then there is a high probability that you're on UI.

There are some employers that prey on those on UI. They count on your ignorance of what "refusal of work" really means, and they try to lowball you.

Looking for a job on UI is done differently than when you have a job currently, and when the UI has run out.

My rule while on UI is get as much information about the job BEFORE applying, and only apply for jobs you really really want especially the ones that are BETTER than you've had before: stretch. If in doubt, skip it. It's usually crap. Like the jobs that say, "competitive salary." Which I translate to competitive for someone that works in India.

You might be the main income and can't do it this way. I was also the second income so I didn't want to go back to work unless I was in a BETTER position doing so. I got to take the kids out of daycare, cut costs on the second car, sleep in, go on nice trips with the kids during summer time, and our standard of living was about the same with me working vs UI because I was home and could do stuff that I had to pay someone else to do. I never fought getting fired or laid off.

When you have a job, then once you know that a job isn't a step up or improves your quality of life, it's really easy to just walk away.

When you don't have any UI anymore or you just don't care about the UI, then you can do whatever you want.

Quote:
So one could have a job offer (proper offer of employment with promise of future start date), when that future comes, claimant can decide if he doesn't want that job? I thought you were implying that it's not safe approach. Just trying to understand various repercussions.

Also informing the state about a job offer and then having to ask for a waiver also brings the claimant into UI department's focus. Is it a hard requirement?

Couldn't one say that I'm evaluating multiple offers which I think would normally be ok but while pursuing UI this may not be advisable? I think the issue at hand is rejecting suitable work meaning if I apply for a job, must I accept that job of offered?

This I need to understand more. While on UI, one is not free to apply AND then reject if a job is offered?
Are you facing this situation now? Some of this stuff is kind of unlikely to happen, so I don't like typing about stuff and then have it not happen.

In really simple terms, a lot of times when you apply for a job, you don't know if it's suitable. You don't find out until later that it's not, but you still have an out.

The best example would be a fast food restaurant MANAGER. They apply and then get duped, and are told, "we'll start you as a team member, and if you prove yourself, we'll quickly promote you to assistant manager and then manager." Well, I'd tell that employer to take a hike. You just know they're going to work you like a dog doing manager work plus crap work for minimum wage, and once you take the job, it's yours. Those future promotions don't rise to the level of a "promise" because they said "if you prove yourself."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 11:14 PM

514 posts, read 441,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Are you facing this situation now? Some of this stuff is kind of unlikely to happen, so I don't like typing about stuff and then have it not happen.

In really simple terms, a lot of times when you apply for a job, you don't know if it's suitable. You don't find out until later that it's not, but you still have an out.

The best example would be a fast food restaurant MANAGER. They apply and then get duped, and are told, "we'll start you as a team member, and if you prove yourself, we'll quickly promote you to assistant manager and then manager." Well, I'd tell that employer to take a hike. You just know they're going to work you like a dog doing manager work plus crap work for minimum wage, and once you take the job, it's yours. Those future promotions don't rise to the level of a "promise" because they said "if you prove yourself."
I've been looking online and applying online, not getting much response if anything. That's been my job requisite search activity to satisfy the UI requirements. A job opportunity fell into my lap (an interview to be exact), don't know if I will get it, only can tell after I go to the interview. The salary is decent and I could accept it if I could stretch the salary a tiny bit than what's being offered. Just to give you an idea, based on recruiter's feedback, they have placed candidates from low (hypothetically speaking say $100k per year) to high range ($115), I'm being submitted at $107K but all of this is talk between claimant and recruiter. One interview and will find out. I may ask for the maximum they have offered for that position if I want to push it.

So this hasn't transpired yet but will soon so wanted to prepare myself on how to handle the acceptance of the eventual job or go all out and ask for the moon and see what happens.

At what point, claimant gets to determine the suitability of a job or job offer? Asking all this, knowing that one would act one way when on UI vs off UI.

Old 05-19-2019, 01:25 AM

Quote:
I'm being submitted at $107K but all of this is talk between claimant and recruiter. One interview and will find out. I may ask for the maximum they have offered for that position if I want to push it.
It's too late to stretch for the max on this one if that means you want $115K after letting the recruiter submit at $107K. If you get what you asked for, you don't get to ask for more.

Quote:
At what point, claimant gets to determine the suitability of a job or job offer?
I prefer people do it BEFORE the offer is even made.

If you want full-time, and the employer says, "the job will start part-time for now, and then become full-time." Get up and say, "when it's full-time, give me a call," and walk out.

If are ok with $107, and the employer says, "we're only willing to pay $100K," get up and walk out.

At the first sign you don't like something, LEAVE.

You're not the one that gets to say an offer is suitable or not, that's up to the DUA. Just remember, you can refuse an offer, and only be suspended for 8 weeks, and lose 8 weeks of your 30 week of UI.

You can push the envelop at least once.

Just think in terms of your highest skill set, and your most recent salary. While you can negotiate for more, you really can't expect to the UI people to endorse that. It trends down the longer you've been on UI, and the floor would be "substantially less favorable than prevailing for similar work in the locality."

https://www.masslegalservices.org/sy...brary/1100.pdf

Study this to find out how DUA is supposed to adjudicate the various issues regarding what's suitable.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:24 PM

Update: Received a call from the other rep's office (rep. # 2) late in the evening after 5 pm after I posted the message below who took down my name and DOB and asked for address in MA and would send email to UI dept. liason and someone from UI Will get in touch with me tomorrow either via email or phone. The lady in the message below is from rep. 1's office and don't know if she would have any updates from me, will find out tomorrow by calling her. In any case, reached out to two rep's via email and heard back from both in some form. I'm somewhat hesitant to talk to UI on the phone in case it goes into adjudicating on the phone which I wouldn't want. I asked for email contact as well so let see will get some sort of update tomorrow!
----
Contacted State representative's office, person from the office reached out on email asking which address I lived in MA, gave my old address. Apparently, rep's office covered more than one towns and she probably wanted to make sure if I was one of their constituent. I didn't mention any of the MA address in my initial email and simply provided the claimant ID, claim number and how long the UI has been pending etc. After another day, I missed her call, her voicemail simply asked me to call her State rep.'s office regarding the UI matter. Will do that tomorrow.

Not sure what to expect, not thinking of winning the case on the phone call but want to be prepared if I'm called about living in NY at the moment. Let see what she has to say.

In the meantime, no movement in the online UI system or any contact from the MA UI office.

Quote:
Oh ok! yeah I had heard about quick turn around time and was wondering! Will contact the proper entity!

Last edited by iamanewuser; 05-21-2019 at 05:06 PM..

Old 05-22-2019, 09:37 PM

No call back from UI office. This apparently even after email from rep's office. Let see, UI folks must be swamped (half joking ..NOT!).

Old 05-22-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
No call back from UI office.
Maybe too many people figured it out, and now they just ignore it. What week are you on?

Old 05-23-2019, 12:58 AM

Fourteen!

Also is it a good idea to back to original employer at some point let say as a contractor instead of FTE (Full Time Employee) maybe when UI runs out? By go back I mean ask if they are opening to contract position.

Quote:
Maybe too many people figured it out, and now they just ignore it. What week are you on?

Old 05-23-2019, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Fourteen!

Also is it a good idea to back to original employer at some point let say as a contractor instead of FTE (Full Time Employee) maybe when UI runs out? By go back I mean ask if they are opening to contract position.
When the UI runs out, then anything that pays money is better than no money at all. I don't see anything wrong with it.

If you want to go back before the UI runs out, then I'd have a lot to say, but you could easily shut me up if you said, "we need the money."

Old 05-23-2019, 02:31 AM

Hear ya loud and clear :-)
Quote:
When the UI runs out, then anything that pays money is better than no money at all. I don't see anything wrong with it.

If you want to go back before the UI runs out, then I'd have a lot to say, but you could easily shut me up if you said, "we need the money."

Old 05-23-2019, 03:05 PM

Chyvan,
Got callback from the UI office , case assigned to adjuster and was sent a new questionnaire in my UI account. I sent you DM, I would appreciate it if you could take a look and see how to address those questions? Thank you!
Quote:
No call back from UI office. This apparently even after email from rep's office. Let see, UI folks must be swamped (half joking ..NOT!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment