Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 10:59 PM

514 posts, read 443,281 times

Advertisements

For anyone looking to file UI claims in MA, please keep in mind that the max. number of weeks was reduced from 30 to 26.

"
Per Massachusetts law, when the twelve-month average unemployment rate for each of the Commonwealth’s measured metropolitan areas is equal to or below 5.1%, the maximum number of weeks for which a claimant may receive unemployment benefits is reduced from 30 to 26 weeks.

When the twelve-month average unemployment rate in any of the state’s measured metropolitan areas is greater than 5.1%, the maximum number of weeks for which a claimant may receive unemployment benefits is 30 weeks.

Under the statute, if the monthly unemployment rate rises above 5.1% in any of the Massachusetts measured metropolitan areas, all claimants, regardless of initial filing date, will once again be eligible for a maximum 30 weeks of benefits.
"

Source: https://www.mass.gov/news/reduction-...llect-benefits

FAQs: https://www.mass.gov/doc/faqs-change...weeks/download
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
The safest is to make your spouse do the move, so that you leave in the evening by plane or car and arrive in the new location before morning.

Now, in CA, it's safe to move late on a Friday and arrive before Monday at 8 am if you have that kind of occupation because you wouldn't be working on the weekend anyway. However, NY is a real stickler, and would deny the whole week. I don't know what MA will do.
I'm in IT and typical hours are M-F, 9-5 PM but there're cases where a person might be needed to work weekends but I would say, one could argue that Sat and Sunday are not considered work days in most of the IT programming jobs.

So the mechanics of it, do I update the address in my online profile to the new address before I started on Friday night or maybe change the address to new when claiming on Sunday? Does this serve as the notification to MA that claimant has moved to another state?

I was reading online what if a claimant moving out of state from MA (not similar to mine as I'm already out of MA) while collecting UI benefits, the advice was to call a number in Boston (inter state claims) and maybe file new paperwork in the new state, is this required or simply changing the address in the profile should suffice?

I think I may have asked the same question worded slightly differently.

Quote:
Yes, and some states aren't like NY, and you can "look for work" if you have the right kind of connection to the country you're travelling to and collect.
I'm not entirely sure if I understand this correctly. Please feel free to PM if you prefer. I meant to ask, if claimant needs to travel overseas for a week or two but has the ability to search for jobs online and can work remotely while traveling (staying overseas for brief period), would it be acceptable? Also is one required to inform proactively to UI department in case of such travel. This is a hypothetical question at this point.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:13 PM

That's 17 pages long.. we are just on page 11
Quote:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...-i-quit-2.html

This is the thread that took the ultimate in patience.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:53 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,216,092 times
Yeah, but your questions are good and situation complex. She was just a pain that was being her own worst enemy.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:57 PM

I take that as a compliment! I find the intelligent responses from you instructive and well thought out!
Quote:
Yeah, but your questions are good and situation complex. She was just a pain that was being her own worst enemy.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:10 PM

So UI claim is still pending. No updates on the online system except "due to volume of claims, it may take longer" (the gist of it). Have written to Congressman at the old address in MA, haven't heard back after two day except the automated email acknowledgement. May follow up with his office again to see what's going on.

Have few question on how to approach job search and possibly accepting an offer during the UI process is going on (waiting or even if it's approved and claimant is receiving the money in the bank).

If the claimant goes for a job interview, is offered a job but negotiations break down and claimant doesn't accept the job. Does this have any negative impact on the ongoing UI? How does the UI department know that claimant refused a job offer or didn't accept it at the final stages due to salary or benefits being offered.

If the claimant is offered a job but the start date is out in the future, can claimant still claim UI between now and say when the job starts?

Old 05-16-2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post
So UI claim is still pending. No updates on the online system except "due to volume of claims, it may take longer" (the gist of it). Have written to Congressman at the old address in MA, haven't heard back after two day except the automated email acknowledgement. May follow up with his office again to see what's going on.
Did you really mean congressman or state representative in the state legislature?

Quote:
If the claimant goes for a job interview, is offered a job but negotiations break down and claimant doesn't accept the job. Does this have any negative impact on the ongoing UI?
I don't think you mean it this way. If negotiations breakdown, then usually, no offer is forthcoming.

You: "I want $150K/yr"
ER: "We only wanted to pay $140K."
You: "AHHH, I don't know."
ER: "We'll let you know if we change our minds."

It's very rare that an employer says, "you can have this job. You can start tomorrow. All you have to do is settle for $140k."

However, if you get an offer that meets the requirements to be considered an offer (even that has its own set of requirements), and you refuse it, it can be a problem.

https://oui.doleta.gov/unemploy/pdf/...onmonetary.pdf starting on page 5-36

MA suspends your benefits for 8 weeks. I can tell that because the abbreviating is the same as NJ, and NJ at W+3 is a 4 week suspension. However, I think that "up to 8 weeks," means that your 30 week claim just got cut down to 22. However, it's only for a refusal of SUITABLE work. If you get the job declared UNsuitable, then lucky you. (FYI. I've have TWO jobs declared unsuitable. It can be done, and it was really easy.)

You avoid these problems be SCREENING the company. At the first sign of trouble, get up and walk out. Better yet, don't even apply, or let an interview be scheduled.

When not on UI, you do things one way, but while on UI, your actions pretty much mean that you won't be considered for the job because you just come off as really pushy and demanding.

Quote:
How does the UI department know that claimant refused a job offer or didn't accept it at the final stages due to salary or benefits being offered.
You self report, or people rat you out, or you get away with keeping quiet.

Quote:
If the claimant is offered a job but the start date is out in the future, can claimant still claim UI between now and say when the job starts?
Yes, but the claimant also needs to keep looking for work, OR if the state allows (like CO), you have to call, tell them you have a job offer starting in less than 4 weeks, and they'll grant you a waiver.

It's easier to just keep submitting the required number of online applications for jobs you won't get than to deal with DUA if they even allow it.

Last edited by Chyvan; 05-16-2019 at 11:49 PM..

Old 05-18-2019, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Did you really mean congressman or state representative in the state legislature?
The member of US House of Representative from MA (from the zip code of claimant's previous residence in MA)

Quote:
I don't think you mean it this way. If negotiations breakdown, then usually, no offer is forthcoming.

You: "I want $150K/yr"
ER: "We only wanted to pay $140K."
You: "AHHH, I don't know."
ER: "We'll let you know if we change our minds."

It's very rare that an employer says, "you can have this job. You can start tomorrow. All you have to do is settle for $140k."

However, if you get an offer that meets the requirements to be considered an offer (even that has its own set of requirements), and you refuse it, it can be a problem.

https://oui.doleta.gov/unemploy/pdf/...onmonetary.pdf starting on page 5-36

MA suspends your benefits for 8 weeks. I can tell that because the abbreviating is the same as NJ, and NJ at W+3 is a 4 week suspension. However, I think that "up to 8 weeks," means that your 30 week claim just got cut down to 22. However, it's only for a refusal of SUITABLE work. If you get the job declared UNsuitable, then lucky you. (FYI. I've have TWO jobs declared unsuitable. It can be done, and it was really easy.)

You avoid these problems be SCREENING the company. At the first sign of trouble, get up and walk out. Better yet, don't even apply, or let an interview be scheduled.
I meant the resume submitted by placement agency for a minimum salary number (say $100k and up) and depending on how the interview goes, if the employer likes the candidate, one could negotiate at that point. If one is really interested in the job, be reasonable otherwise go all out and see how far can you stretch. If the employer likes the candidate enough and accepts the unreasonable offer then it's good deal otherwise they may balk at it anyway and you got interview practice.

Quote:
When not on UI, you do things one way, but while on UI, your actions pretty much mean that you won't be considered for the job because you just come off as really pushy and demanding.

You self report, or people rat you out, or you get away with keeping quiet.
On how UI dept., finds out, if claimant is not reporting and no one at the new potential employer is going to inform, I think it's pretty safe bet that it won't be found out. Unless I'm missing something? Will placement agency do anything fishy?

Quote:
Yes, but the claimant also needs to keep looking for work, OR if the state allows (like CO), you have to call, tell them you have a job offer starting in less than 4 weeks, and they'll grant you a waiver.

It's easier to just keep submitting the required number of online applications for jobs you won't get than to deal with DUA if they even allow it.
Ideally claimant would want to have job lined up in anticipation of UI running out but not jeopardize the UI while doing so. I think it's tricky to give the new employer a starting date far out in future for whatever madeup reason. Let say employers buys it, there's the risk of UI folks finding out which seems less likely. It's not clear cut as the moment one accepts a job with a start date, you are technically not available for another job at least after the proposed start date. You could argue that claimant is available to work up until the start date but it may not fly in court.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:07 AM

Quote:
The member of US House of Representative from MA (from the zip code of claimant's previous residence in MA)
You need to contact the STATE rep in the legislature, not the Feds. UI is administered by the state. I thought it odd that you didn't get a near instant response, and now I know why. Yeah, posters here that contact the state reps, they quite often get calls from the UI people within 24 hours.

Quote:
I meant the resume submitted by placement agency for a minimum salary number (say $100k and up) and depending on how the interview goes, if the employer likes the candidate, one could negotiate at that point. If one is really interested in the job, be reasonable otherwise go all out and see how far can you stretch. If the employer likes the candidate enough and accepts the unreasonable offer then it's good deal otherwise they may balk at it anyway and you got interview practice.
This is beyond me. In your profession, you might use a placement agency. I was never that kind of employee.

However, I do NOT recommend that you use a placement agency while on UI. There's rules. When you look for a job on your own, only the UI people can tell you where to apply, and they quit doing that in the 1970s. When you voluntarily use the services of a recruiter, you then give them the power to tell you where to apply for work, and if you say, "I don't want to work there," the recruiter can jack you up.

You can read about the concept here: https://www.edd.ca.gov/UIBDG/Suitabl...eferralProcess

"Another method of seeking work is registration with a private fee agency. Title 22, Section 1253(c)-1, provides:
"No claimant . . . shall be denied benefits solely on the ground that he has failed or refused to register with a private employment agency or any other placement facility which charges the job seeker a fee for its services."
However, when a claimant voluntarily registers for work with such an agency, the claimant accepts this condition."

Quote:
On how UI dept., finds out, if claimant is not reporting and no one at the new potential employer is going to inform, I think it's pretty safe bet that it won't be found out. Unless I'm missing something? Will placement agency do anything fishy?
You can't count on this. If you get a divorce, your wife could turn you in. A neighbor, a "friend," your in-laws because they think you're a bum, anyone that knows you've been sleeping in, your former employer after they get a call from the potential employer for a reference, the state UI people if they audit your work search. All these people are fair game.

Also, and maybe Rabrrita can confirm. There's a tax credit for the long-term unemployed. While you aren't in that category, an employer I think can run your info to see if you're tax credit eligible, and that might trip a flag even if it returns a noneligible response.

If it were just you, then yeah, you could lie and get away with it, but there are so many others that you can't control that are in the mix.

Quote:
Ideally claimant would want to have job lined up in anticipation of UI running out but not jeopardize the UI while doing so. I think it's tricky to give the new employer a starting date far out in future for whatever madeup reason. Let say employers buys it, there's the risk of UI folks finding out which seems less likely. It's not clear cut as the moment one accepts a job with a start date, you are technically not available for another job at least after the proposed start date. You could argue that claimant is available to work up until the start date but it may not fly in court.
I'm not sure where you're going with this. You ARE eligible. You are available for work. Posters here have had job offers rescinded before starting. You might get offered a better job. You might decide you don't want the job in the future when the future gets here.

Lot's can happen. That's why you keep looking for work, and claim until you actually start a job.

Old 05-18-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
You need to contact the STATE rep in the legislature, not the Feds. UI is administered by the state. I thought it odd that you didn't get a near instant response, and now I know why. Yeah, posters here that contact the state reps, they quite often get calls from the UI people within 24 hours.
Oh ok! yeah I had heard about quick turn around time and was wondering! Will contact the proper entity!

Quote:

This is beyond me. In your profession, you might use a placement agency. I was never that kind of employee.

However, I do NOT recommend that you use a placement agency while on UI. There's rules. When you look for a job on your own, only the UI people can tell you where to apply, and they quit doing that in the 1970s. When you voluntarily use the services of a recruiter, you then give them the power to tell you where to apply for work, and if you say, "I don't want to work there," the recruiter can jack you up.

You can read about the concept here: https://www.edd.ca.gov/UIBDG/Suitabl...eferralProcess

"Another method of seeking work is registration with a private fee agency. Title 22, Section 1253(c)-1, provides:
"No claimant . . . shall be denied benefits solely on the ground that he has failed or refused to register with a private employment agency or any other placement facility which charges the job seeker a fee for its services."
However, when a claimant voluntarily registers for work with such an agency, the claimant accepts this condition."
In the IT field, it's fairly common to post resume on job search sites and then either apply to open jobs by choosing what appeals to you or recruiter (placement agencies/staffing firms) contact you if your profile matches with one of the open positions at their contacts/clients who retain them. Applicant doesn't pay these agencies a penny and neither they ask for it. Their compensation is tied to successfully placing a candidate and usually a fixed amount or percentage equal to candidate's monthly salary paid by the new employer. It may be different but placement agencies in the IT field don't tell/dictate the applicants what to do and how to apply.

Applicants don't typically "register" with IT recruitment firms but make themselves available for work by posting the resume on job search sites, the act of recruiter contacting the applicant, submitting his resume to client for a range of salary and if the applicant accepts the job, IT recruiter gets paid. I never thought they would have any say in UI matters or would reach out to UI department to inform them of applicant's job hunting activity especially when they don't know if the applicant is pursuing UI to begin with.

Also am I right in thinking that it's voluntary to disclose whether one is pursuing UI when applying for jobs? I think so but asking to make sure.

Quote:
You can't count on this. If you get a divorce, your wife could turn you in. A neighbor, a "friend," your in-laws because they think you're a bum, anyone that knows you've been sleeping in, your former employer after they get a call from the potential employer for a reference, the state UI people if they audit your work search. All these people are fair game.
Some of those can be managed but not all (if no future employer reaches the stage of checking references, having guaranteed marital bliss :-) etc). Point taken!

Quote:
Also, and maybe Rabrrita can confirm. There's a tax credit for the long-term unemployed. While you aren't in that category, an employer I think can run your info to see if you're tax credit eligible, and that might trip a flag even if it returns a noneligible response.
Don't know, will wait for response from Rabrrita even though it doesn't seem to apply for now.

Quote:
If it were just you, then yeah, you could lie and get away with it, but there are so many others that you can't control that are in the mix.
Got it!

Quote:
I'm not sure where you're going with this. You ARE eligible. You are available for work. Posters here have had job offers rescinded before starting. You might get offered a better job. You might decide you don't want the job in the future when the future gets here.

Lot's can happen. That's why you keep looking for work, and claim until you actually start a job.
So one could have a job offer (proper offer of employment with promise of future start date), when that future comes, claimant can decide if he doesn't want that job? I thought you were implying that it's not safe approach. Just trying to understand various repercussions.

Also informing the state about a job offer and then having to ask for a waiver also brings the claimant into UI department's focus. Is it a hard requirement?

Couldn't one say that I'm evaluating multiple offers which I think would normally be ok but while pursuing UI this may not be advisable? I think the issue at hand is rejecting suitable work meaning if I apply for a job, must I accept that job of offered?

This I need to understand more. While on UI, one is not free to apply AND then reject if a job is offered?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment