Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 06:36 AM

25 posts, read 19,907 times

Advertisements

You should be nearing a decision very soon also! Hope it comes very soon for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 04:45 PM

514 posts, read 438,140 times
Couple questions while I'm waiting for MA DUA to make their next move, the online message still read "..due to extra volume..may take longer to determine if claimant qualifies for benefits.."

1. Does it matter if I search the same job search engine online? I do report other means related to job search (for example, review online job postings, research jobs etc).

2. I don't necessarily receive response for these jobs that I apply through the job search engine and that's how I report it in response to the question "what was the employer response?" .. I have remotely mostly "No Response" maybe occasionally "Follow up Requested" in the cases where the potential employer requests further contact.

3. I'm not maintaining paper records of job search since I report them every week online and save the confirmation of weekly benefit request and if I needed, I could go to the online job search engine (third party website different than MA DUA and look at my Apply history.

4. Does it matter where I apply? I'm applying at all kinds of locations but asking for remote work. I'm in IT and my type of work can be done completely remotely. Can I apply for a job that doesn't mention remote option and then say that I'm looking for remote only.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:30 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,066,943 times
You can't apply just for remote. Remote is NOT prevailing.

You have to apply for jobs that are within commuting distance of your house. If you don't have enough of these, you can be labelled as someone that has restricted themselves enough to be rendered not able and available.

If the job is TOO FAR, and you put on the application that you'll do remote, then fine.

If you apply for jobs that you could commute to that say remote, then fine.

But you can't apply to jobs down the street and preclude the offer because you don't want to put on clothes and shower and go into work.

Most online jobs send emails "we got your application."

I would save on paper. If you get called in for a reemployment meeting, it's going to be very inconvenient to deal with your electronic records. Use the form the UI people provide, that's what they are used to seeing.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:45 AM

Thank you Chyvan for your feedback, much appreciated. Could I apply to out of state jobs (or jobs that are clearly farther than what might be considered reasonable daily commute) that don't specify anything about remote but imply that remote is not being offered from the get go, by way of omitting the remote option in the description and explicitly mentioning the location?

Would that be looked at as having the intention of working remotely since the job is so far away, applicant wouldn't have commuted there short of moving there.

It's late so I hope I'm making sense..zzzZZ!!

Old 03-28-2019, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post
Thank you Chyvan for your feedback, much appreciated. Could I apply to out of state jobs (or jobs that are clearly farther than what might be considered reasonable daily commute) that don't specify anything about remote but imply that remote is not being offered from the get go, by way of omitting the remote option in the description and explicitly mentioning the location?
It's high risk.

If you apply, and KNEW where the job was and that there was going to be no remote, there comes a point that if you get offered the job, and don't take it that's a refusal of suitable work.

It's like if someone was a doctor and applying for jobs at retail stores thinking if offered work he could refuse it because it was unsuitable. Well, you can't, because you made of habit of looking for it.

If you want to do remote work, then you make dang sure that you only apply for remote work or that there's no question that when you apply for a job too far away, no is going to try to think that you were willing to relocate.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:48 AM

I'm getting there in my understanding of all this so please bear with me. So claimant should apply for jobs within his commuting distance (not sure if there's a litmus test for this) and if there're jobs that fall out of that distance requirement, it would be OK to apply to those as long as they offered remote option?

Most online job search sites send automated email confirmation of resume submission, would it be incorrect to classify that as "No Response" as I've done thinking that "response" would mean potential employer asking further questions or setting up a phone call or something. If there's silence after the initial resume submission except the automated email acknowledging the receipt of the resume, it would be considered "No response"?

Also wanted to clarify what "No Work" and "Follow up requested" mean fir a given resume submission? How would I know "No Work" unless the employer posting the job responds stating so? Unclear on who 's requesting follow up? Is it employer who's requesting something from the claimant or if I reach out second time to employer asking status on my application, would that be considered "Follow up requested" (by applicant)?

Old 03-28-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I'm getting there in my understanding of all this so please bear with me. So claimant should apply for jobs within his commuting distance (not sure if there's a litmus test for this) and if there're jobs that fall out of that distance requirement, it would be OK to apply to those as long as they offered remote option?
I think 30 miles is a safe guess until you find something definitive for MA, but that kind of stuff is hard to find.

As to the 2nd, just put in your resume or the online application, do NOT call me unless I'll be working remote because I'm not moving, and you're too far away and I'll reject your offer.

Quote:
Most online job search sites send automated email confirmation of resume submission, would it be incorrect to classify that as "No Response" as I've done thinking that "response" would mean potential employer asking further questions or setting up a phone call or something. If there's silence after the initial resume submission except the automated email acknowledging the receipt of the resume, it would be considered "No response"?
I always received two emails. The first was the receipt, the second was the "while your credentials were impressive, we're going in a different direction." I call them FOAD letters.

Quote:
Also wanted to clarify what "No Work" and "Follow up requested" mean fir a given resume submission? How would I know "No Work" unless the employer posting the job responds stating so? Unclear on who 's requesting follow up? Is it employer who's requesting something from the claimant or if I reach out second time to employer asking status on my application, would that be considered "Follow up requested" (by applicant)?
I think you're making this too hard. A "no response" was when you applied for a cherry job like at the power company or the phone company. They never advertised their jobs, and there were rarely openings. If you're applying to the right places, you won't hear back because they have a line of applicants out the door because everyone knows they are great places to work.

That is where you should be applying right now unless you are desperate.

Just keep this simply: It's usually applied, heard nothing, over and over and over.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:08 PM

Thank you for your replies, much appreciated! One thing I didn't think of, applying to companies that have the type of work one wants but they may not have any openings at the moment. This could make it easier to find places to apply to, less likely that one would find an actual job there but if one does then that's not a bad thing.

The online job postings start to run dry after a while so the above strategy could help in that case.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
less likely that one would find an actual job there but if one does then that's not a bad thing.
This is truly the correct strategy. If you're a union grocery store clerk, don't apply for 3rd shift convenience store jobs and Walmart, apply for union jobs.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:19 AM

Still waiting..about 8 weeks or so since initiating a new claim. From other threads related to MA, it seems 10 weeks is pretty normal. Don't know what's it looking like these days. My online message says the same.."due to volume of applications ..may need more time to decide.." pretty sure some sort of general statement to keep status update requests from claimants under control.

Anything I should be doing to follow up or to speed things up (if that's even possible from claimant's end)? Have been submitting weekly online claims regularly and continue to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment