Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 03:01 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,159,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post
It used to be shown on GovTrac however everything is on steroids now so it will probably be a while.

I believe the info provided here is correct, at least here in California.

There is no 12 wk extension of benefits for those who were not laid off due to Coronavirus. That makes sense as I've already received 7 weeks of benefits so it's understandable they don't want to extend it so I benefit more than the Coronavirus victim that was forced to be laid off.

However, this virus quarrantine and shut down does affect everyone. Thus it seems logical that all unemployed individuals receive the $600 extra per week.

ALL of the unemployed who pay into the system are forced to remain unemployed. Since this is technically insurance, not needs based, I can see this being a very plausible conclusion. They had to hurry it thru so nothing will be perfect. I feel fortunate to be able to get unemployment at this time no matter what. Some workers will not qualify, others are forced to attend jobs where they feel un-protected from the virus forced to work with the public yet they get no extra funds for that higher level of risk
You’re not paying into the system. Your employer did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 04:57 PM

1,142 posts, read 580,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
You’re not paying into the system. Your employer did.
thank you

Old 03-25-2020, 05:01 PM

3,955 posts, read 5,086,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
It’s economic stimulus. Those are the same people that will spend every dime of that money.
... so the hardworking grocery store clerks who are tirelessly throwing 40 hours a week in at 10.75 an hour are going to make almost 50% less than the unemployed?

That's stimulating spending?!

The 1200 checks are stimulus. You have money to pay bills or spend.
This unemployment change if given flatly across the board seems to break employment.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:01 PM

13,134 posts, read 21,045,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
... so the hardworking grocery store clerks who are tirelessly throwing 40 hours a week in at 10.75 an hour are going to make almost 50% less than the unemployed?
Don't know as this is a sticking point and is why the Bill is stalled and not yet enacted!

Currently there is a concern that the unemployment enhanced payment is penalizing those who are working while rewarding above and beyond those who are not working. It's possible the enhanced payments may be modified to get the Bill passed.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:41 PM

153 posts, read 73,625 times
The Treasury Secretary explained that the $600/week was used in the bill since calculating a pro rata amount was beyond the capability of most state UI computer systems. He stated he didn't believe it was going to be a sticking point in the end and didn't seem to think it would contribute substantially to voluntary unemployment.

I suspect the senators that objected to it might have been looking for some political cover on the issue. That's my thought, anyway.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:46 PM

153 posts, read 73,625 times
Here's a link to the house bill that seems to be getting scuttled; however, the language for UI sounds a whole like what has been reportedto be in the senate bill.

https://appropriations.house.gov/sit...DSUPP3_xml.pdf

Old 03-25-2020, 07:06 PM

1,142 posts, read 580,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Don't know as this is a sticking point and is why the Bill is stalled and not yet enacted!

Currently there is a concern that the unemployment enhanced payment is penalizing those who are working while rewarding above and beyond those who are not working. It's possible the enhanced payments may be modified to get the Bill passed.
This is true. Many will be working for much less than their equal unemployed counterparts.

I only earned $15 per hr when laid off. However if that $600 is added to the usual unemployment benefit, my monthly "earnings" will be more than what it was working full time. I no longer need to pay for gas, wear and tear on the vehicle, wear a uniform, and occasionally eat out due to stress and being too busy to pack a lunch. Now we are at home eating healthy cheap foods because I have time to make it.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:16 PM

3,955 posts, read 5,086,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post
This is true. Many will be working for much less than their equal unemployed counterparts.

I only earned $15 per hr when laid off. However if that $600 is added to the usual unemployment benefit, my monthly "earnings" will be more than what it was working full time. I no longer need to pay for gas, wear and tear on the vehicle, wear a uniform, and occasionally eat out due to stress and being too busy to pack a lunch. Now we are at home eating healthy cheap foods because I have time to make it.
It's crazy- without a max cap most unemployed service workers will see a pay increase without working.
Bad policy for sure.

Last time I was unemployed during the great recession it was a $30 dollar increase per week from the fed, and I wasn't even eligible.

Somehow 12 years later that number has increased 2000%.

Bad math. Anyone working in essential retail right now earning under $30 an hour should claim emotional distress from COVID-19 and walk away with the bigger payment.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:28 PM

20,766 posts, read 8,612,350 times
Why not wait until you have the facts? This is a work in progress and who knows what monkey wrenches might be thrown into the mix at the last minute?

Old 03-26-2020, 03:00 AM

186 posts, read 125,904 times
I think what will most likely happen is that the $600 per week will go mostly towards gig workers, free lancers and the self employed. I was notified from my employer several weeks ago that they will pay full salary and benefits for the duration of the pandemic which I thought was very strange but I will not complain about it and am very grateful. I suspect that many large companies will continue to keep everyone on payroll for the foreseeable future in order to not inundate the state unemployment offices, in return, the government will back them up or has already agreed to backup their payroll. This is something you usually never see, especially in the private sector, and something that didn’t happen during the 2001 and 2008 recessions. What I’d like to know is how they’re going to process these tens of millions of unemployment claims which will be ripe with fraud obviously everyone wants to cash in on it. They will need to hire 100,000 people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment