Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 05:56 AM

76 posts, read 29,146 times

Advertisements

Time to give it another try in 5 minutes
I bet that I'll get the same automated phone system from all three reemployment centers though. I'm getting really desperate over here. The water fountains aren't even running at the job I'm returning to.

Edit: Yep, same story. I wonder if I call the U.S. DOL's customer service number and stay on hold for over an hour or two until someone picks up if it'll be a waste of time or if they can somehow fix my problem. I'm assuming only the NJ reemployment call centers have access to my claim information. I'm feeling so much angst and anguish right now. This whole thing isn't fair. I'm never gonna be able to reach the people who can fix this and I'm gonna be stuck working at that job for the next months at the least. =/

Last edited by RinNJ; 06-09-2020 at 06:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 06:51 AM

290 posts, read 185,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinNJ View Post
Time to give it another try in 5 minutes
I bet that I'll get the same automated phone system from all three reemployment centers though. I'm getting really desperate over here. The water fountains aren't even running at the job I'm returning to.

Edit: Yep, same story. I wonder if I call the U.S. DOL's customer service number and stay on hold for over an hour or two until someone picks up if it'll be a waste of time or if they can somehow fix my problem. I'm assuming only the NJ reemployment call centers have access to my claim information. I'm feeling so much angst and anguish right now. This whole thing isn't fair. I'm never gonna be able to reach the people who can fix this and I'm gonna be stuck working at that job for the next months at the least. =/
Hopefully the lawyers get back to you today. And you can come up with another plan of attack.

On the bright side. At least you have a job to go back to, even if it's only temporarily. This will get money in your pocket, that you so desperately need at the moment. I'm sure most of the country is working a job they hate or they feel that's beneath them. Unfortunately life is far from fair. At least you got your health.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Companygreed33 View Post
Hopefully the lawyers get back to you today. And you can come up with another plan of attack.

On the bright side. At least you have a job to go back to, even if it's only temporarily. This will get money in your pocket, that you so desperately need at the moment. I'm sure most of the country is working a job they hate or they feel that's beneath them. Unfortunately life is far from fair. At least you got your health.

I can make it to August without going back to the job, but you and scraps have already pointed out how risky it is considering that they can't get my UI situation straightened out as is and quitting would likely only cause more confusion on their end.

If they can pay out 1.1 million claims in my state, there's no reason why I should be cheated out of the CARES Act money, a mere $6,600 relative to what they've already paid up. I don't want to hear any nonsense from them about how there "are no more funds" or anything like that whenever I do get in contact with them, but I have a really bad feeling that they are going to try to do whatever it takes to not pay me my money, at which point I'll have to fight for it in court.

Life may not be fair, but this is an extreme case of that because this is the DOL failing people who desperately need the money they're owed in a time of crisis and altering their lives and credit scores and I sense a bit of apathy on their end because they're not hurting financially. These are the kinds of situations that lead extremists to overthrow the government.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I can make it to August without going back to the job, but you and scraps have already pointed out how risky it is considering that they can't get my UI situation straightened out as is and quitting would likely only cause more confusion on their end.

If they can pay out 1.1 million claims in my state, there's no reason why I should be cheated out of the CARES Act money, a mere $6,600 relative to what they've already paid up. I don't want to hear any nonsense from them about how there "are no more funds" or anything like that whenever I do get in contact with them, but I have a really bad feeling that they are going to try to do whatever it takes to not pay me my money, at which point I'll have to fight for it in court.

Life may not be fair, but this is an extreme case of that because this is the DOL failing people who desperately need the money they're owed in a time of crisis and altering their lives and credit scores and I sense a bit of apathy on their end because they're not hurting financially. These are the kinds of situations that lead extremists to overthrow the government.
Yeah, a quit would look really bad and may come down as the difference whether or not you get paid in the end. It shouldn't be, but it could be.

The labor union is back logged in almost every state. As another poster pointed out on a different thread. They are probably just pushing the easy/clean breaks through first, then going back to the more complex ones like yours for last. I live in PA, and mine got put through in a week and a half. This is my 4th time I been on unemployment, and that was by far the fastest I got it. However, it was the cleanest break I had from a company. The other ones were me getting fired, which took time to investigate. The longest I had to wait was a month and a half.

I do understand your pain man. Especially the working a job beneath you part. I wish my dad knew someone like some of my friends, who got a job they weren't qualified for because daddy pulled some strings to get them it. Others, they just were at the right place at the right time. Unfortunately I never got a break job wise, and I had to use angles and cut corners to stay a float in life. I try to be thankful for other things I have that my friends dont, like being in good shape and that i could still get young attractive women to have sex with me. I use that as my coping mechanism, to stay from getting too depressed about how unfair life truly is. So find things you have to be thankful for, that will allow you to cope with your situation.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Yeah, a quit would look really bad and may come down as the difference whether or not you get paid in the end. It shouldn't be, but it could be.

The labor union is back logged in almost every state. As another poster pointed out on a different thread. They are probably just pushing the easy/clean breaks through first, then going back to the more complex ones like yours for last. I live in PA, and mine got put through in a week and a half. This is my 4th time I been on unemployment, and that was by far the fastest I got it. However, it was the cleanest break I had from a company. The other ones were me getting fired, which took time to investigate. The longest I had to wait was a month and a half.

I do understand your pain man. Especially the working a job beneath you part. I wish my dad knew someone like some of my friends, who got a job they weren't qualified for because daddy pulled some strings to get them it. Others, they just were at the right place at the right time. Unfortunately I never got a break job wise, and I had to use angles and cut corners to stay a float in life. I try to be thankful for other things I have that my friends dont, like being in good shape and that i could still get young attractive women to have sex with me. I use that as my coping mechanism, to stay from getting too depressed about how unfair life truly is. So find things you have to be thankful for, that will allow you to cope with your situation.

So after tomorrow, don't certify again, right? The DOL is going to mess this up, they don't know I'm returning to work on Friday and they've been impossible to get in contact with. The day that they reopen the unemployment office, I'm calling out and waiting outside to be one of the first people to get my problem fixed. I just hope they reopen within the next few weeks, but it seems doubtful.

Old 06-10-2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
So after tomorrow, don't certify again, right? The DOL is going to mess this up, they don't know I'm returning to work on Friday and they've been impossible to get in contact with. The day that they reopen the unemployment office, I'm calling out and waiting outside to be one of the first people to get my problem fixed. I just hope they reopen within the next few weeks, but it seems doubtful.
You would probably still certify one last time. Any week you didn't work. Hopefully you get a day off where you can sit infront of the unemployment office and get this thing figured out. Did any of those lawyers call you back yet?

Old 06-10-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
You would probably still certify one last time. Any week you didn't work. Hopefully you get a day off where you can sit infront of the unemployment office and get this thing figured out. Did any of those lawyers call you back yet?
No one has contacted me back by phone or email. I don't expect that lawyer to call back at this point because the consensus seems to be that unemployment lawyers can't really do anything about this and/or will not take unemployment legal claims because they can't get in touch with people at the DOL either. I've seen people on this forum get through to the NJ DOL, and I'm wondering HOW they did it.

It doesn't look like the unemployment offices will reopen any time soon. I would assume they'll be part of phase 3 of reopening the state, which could take all the way until September even. I am so distraught over this whole situation. This is not only unfair, but it's straight up robbery. So what am I to do if I can't contact anyone? File new claim for this job on August 11th and only get the measly back payments and not get the $6,600 in CARES Act payments? Because that's what it appears is going to happen. It seems I am going to end up having to work there for the next two months, the hottest months of the year historically in NJ, with poor air conditioning, no water fountains, so maybe the bathrooms won't even be functional, and I NEVER intended to come back to this job, but the NJ DOL has really screwed me over and altered my life plans. I was going to put this summer on cruise control, use a portion of the government money to lease a very cheap, efficient, economy size car, and work like an animal to get an entry level job, and look at what they've done to my life. We're going to court if I never see that CARES money and I'm gonna go OFF on them.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:22 AM

8 posts, read 20,106 times
Quote:
Hopefully, I get a response from one of the assemblymen and they pressure the unemployment people into doing their jobs, but if nobody replies to my e-mails, I am going to cause a scene and bring attention to my case. Nothing illegal of course, but this is plain ridiculous. I've been getting screwed over since graduating from college, and I'm not about to allow them to get over on me like this and cheat me out of my money while so many people who don't need the money as badly as I do and were throwing hissy fits have been collecting for several weeks. I don't want any of their apologies, just want to get my cash and go back to living in obscurity, but if this is how it is they're forcing me to come out and raise my voice over this.
IDK your exact situation and I hope things get better for you, but you sound a bit entitled TBH. While you're at it, please tell them to look out for citizens stuck abroad. Thx

Old 06-10-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
No one has contacted me back by phone or email. I don't expect that lawyer to call back at this point because the consensus seems to be that unemployment lawyers can't really do anything about this and/or will not take unemployment legal claims because they can't get in touch with people at the DOL either. I've seen people on this forum get through to the NJ DOL, and I'm wondering HOW they did it.

It doesn't look like the unemployment offices will reopen any time soon. I would assume they'll be part of phase 3 of reopening the state, which could take all the way until September even. I am so distraught over this whole situation. This is not only unfair, but it's straight up robbery. So what am I to do if I can't contact anyone? File new claim for this job on August 11th and only get the measly back payments and not get the $6,600 in CARES Act payments? Because that's what it appears is going to happen. It seems I am going to end up having to work there for the next two months, the hottest months of the year historically in NJ, with poor air conditioning, no water fountains, so maybe the bathrooms won't even be functional, and I NEVER intended to come back to this job, but the NJ DOL has really screwed me over and altered my life plans. I was going to put this summer on cruise control, use a portion of the government money to lease a very cheap, efficient, economy size car, and work like an animal to get an entry level job, and look at what they've done to my life. We're going to court if I never see that CARES money and I'm gonna go OFF on them.
I understand man. Here's the only thing you wont be able to do. Once you start back on Friday, you wont be able to file for the weeks you're working full time. So you will be fighting for the pay between April 1st and this week. After that, you wont be able to open a new claim unless you get fired or laid off again. A quit will deny your claims automatically, almost under all the cases.

My suggestion is to tough this job out as long as you can, at least until you get your back pay. If you go to work Friday and quit by Monday, you will just muddy up the waters even worse. And make it that much harder to get the money you deserve.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I understand man. Here's the only thing you wont be able to do. Once you start back on Friday, you wont be able to file for the weeks you're working full time. So you will be fighting for the pay between April 1st and this week. After that, you wont be able to open a new claim unless you get fired or laid off again. A quit will deny your claims automatically, almost under all the cases.

My suggestion is to tough this job out as long as you can, at least until you get your back pay. If you go to work Friday and quit by Monday, you will just muddy up the waters even worse. And make it that much harder to get the money you deserve.
Ah I never thought about. So then maybe DON'T file a new claim on August 11th then if I can't get in touch with unemployment. I thought that one cynical guy in this thread said they dispose of claims once the base period runs out, and that certainly frightens me, but I do have enough evidence through e-mails sent and e-mail confirmations that I did certify on my current claim every week that I was supposed to. I was only going to file a new claim on August 11th to wake them up so that they realize that they didn't pay me the CARES Act money and unemployment benefits from April 4th through June 5th and then when they call my employer, it would all make sense to them without the confusion of the circumstances under which I was discharged from my previous job or without someone needing to sit down with me to verify that the WBR from my old job that I reported is accurate. However, that would cost me some money because my WBR would be lower under this job.

I spoke to three lawyers today and all of them think that in my situation the only resolution is to talk to someone who can get in direct contact with unemployment. One thought that the issue might be that I reopened a claim instead of filing a new one (I believe I did reopen that August 11th claim back in September during the DQ period, but that period has long since been served), and at any rate I was never able to file a "new claim" as several people in this thread have pointed out that my current job is just an additional claim to the old one.

There's one more lawyer I was referred to, and I gave her a call but she wasn't there, but I'll call her again later on. All I can hope is that she can get in contact with someone from unemployment, because right now things look very bad and I can only hope that the offices reopen as soon as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment