Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 06:45 AM

76 posts, read 29,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Companygreed33 View Post
Yeah, I think you definitely should. Too much money is on the table at this point. What time are you calling the lawyer? I think this needs settled once and for all. That way you can sleep easy and hopefully the back pay and the money will begin ruling in for you.
I'm going to wait for them to open at 9am and call three different unemployment law offices with free consultation in my area. I'd prefer over the phone consultation only because I had to sell my car a few years back because it was starting to shut down and living paycheck to paycheck has forced me to rely on public transportation for the past three years.

I called the North, Central, and South Jersey reemployment numbers at exactly 8am and, predictably, they all gave me the same "call back on the next business day because there are too many calls waiting" automated response.

I wonder how quickly this whole thing is going to get settled. This is a complete nightmare. I'm still not quite clear on why I have to return to work on Friday because I don't see how a voluntary quit would impact my back pay and CARES money when I already meet the hours and money requirement for unemployment, have served the 6 weeks DQ for the old job that I was discharged from, and was unemployed through no fault of my own for the past two months, but I'll see if scraps is right about needing to go back until I get my money when I call the law offices in fifteen minutes, because obviously I do not want to go back under these conditions and having to walk a few blocks to take a bus to my job and needing to spend $15 on an Uber to get back home whenever I'm scheduled late enough that the buses stop running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 07:13 AM

290 posts, read 184,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinNJ View Post
I'm going to wait for them to open at 9am and call three different unemployment law offices with free consultation in my area. I'd prefer over the phone consultation only because I had to sell my car a few years back because it was starting to shut down and living paycheck to paycheck has forced me to rely on public transportation for the past three years.

I called the North, Central, and South Jersey reemployment numbers at exactly 8am and, predictably, they all gave me the same "call back on the next business day because there are too many calls waiting" automated response.

I wonder how quickly this whole thing is going to get settled. This is a complete nightmare. I'm still not quite clear on why I have to return to work on Friday because I don't see how a voluntary quit would impact my back pay and CARES money when I already meet the hours and money requirement for unemployment, have served the 6 weeks DQ for the old job that I was discharged from, and was unemployed through no fault of my own for the past two months, but I'll see if scraps is right about needing to go back until I get my money when I call the law offices in fifteen minutes, because obviously I do not want to go back under these conditions and having to walk a few blocks to take a bus to my job and needing to spend $15 on an Uber to get back home whenever I'm scheduled late enough that the buses stop running.
Please keep us updated on any developments. Your case really peaked my interest. I cant wait to hear what the hold up is, or at least what UI says it is.

I think you going back to your old job does a few things. For one, it shows you went back after the furlough. So unemployment cant say "He didnt return when work was available". At least from what you have been saying, you're basically out of money and need some form of income. While this job isnt ideal, it's at least a paycheck coming in while you wait for you back pay for unemployment to kick in. Which could days, weeks, possibly months.

Old 06-08-2020, 02:12 PM

Well I'm waiting for one lawyer to call me back, and I called two law offices that said that they only deal with legal claims from employers and businesses. The one lawyer I could talk to so far suggested that I wait it out, but I don't see how that will resolve anything. He heard the whole story and said that he thought it'd be difficult to bring suit against the NJ DOL because it rarely happens and there are a lot of other people with problems claiming, and that my best bet is to keep contacting any unemployment lawyer I can who can possibly get in contact with the NJ DOL. He was optimistic that I'd eventually get paid my money if I waited it out, but he also didn't seem to fully understand that I've been seeing the same "claim is not payable" at this time message since Day 1 whenever I've certified. Add to that the fact that a claims examiner has never contacted me and this Wednesday will be my last week certifying, it seems clear to me that I absolutely NEED that other lawyer to call me back or to get in contact with anyone who specializes in unemployment law, as he suggested.

I'm in serious trouble here. My only hope is to either get in contact with the right lawyer or pray that the NJ Unemployment offices reopen by early July or else I'm going to be stuck at a dead end job and possibly lose out on $7k-$8k that so many other people received with ease. And to think that if I had never filed that original claim at my old job, none of this would have happened.

Old 06-08-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Well I'm waiting for one lawyer to call me back, and I called two law offices that said that they only deal with legal claims from employers and businesses. The one lawyer I could talk to so far suggested that I wait it out, but I don't see how that will resolve anything. He heard the whole story and said that he thought it'd be difficult to bring suit against the NJ DOL because it rarely happens and there are a lot of other people with problems claiming, and that my best bet is to keep contacting any unemployment lawyer I can who can possibly get in contact with the NJ DOL. He was optimistic that I'd eventually get paid my money if I waited it out, but he also didn't seem to fully understand that I've been seeing the same "claim is not payable" at this time message since Day 1 whenever I've certified. Add to that the fact that a claims examiner has never contacted me and this Wednesday will be my last week certifying, it seems clear to me that I absolutely NEED that other lawyer to call me back or to get in contact with anyone who specializes in unemployment law, as he suggested.

I'm in serious trouble here. My only hope is to either get in contact with the right lawyer or pray that the NJ Unemployment offices reopen by early July or else I'm going to be stuck at a dead end job and possibly lose out on $7k-$8k that so many other people received with ease. And to think that if I had never filed that original claim at my old job, none of this would have happened.
Thanks for the update. As I said, suing the labor union and winning would be a near impossible victory, as well as a costly and time wasting fight.

Yeah, going back to work Friday is your best move for now. That's guaranteed money, and you need that at the moment. At least until this all gets settled and your back pay comes in. Are you planning on waiting it out or do you think you will try paying for the services of the one lawyer?

Old 06-08-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the update. As I said, suing the labor union and winning would be a near impossible victory, as well as a costly and time wasting fight.

Yeah, going back to work Friday is your best move for now. That's guaranteed money, and you need that at the moment. At least until this all gets settled and your back pay comes in. Are you planning on waiting it out or do you think you will try paying for the services of the one lawyer?

I'm being forced to go back when I shouldn't have to be, but as it stands I'll definitely pay any lawyer who can get me that $6600 and my unemployment back pay as soon as possible. I'm in serious trouble because I know that in my case the only way I'm resolving this is spelling it out face to face for one of these unreachable unemployment people or having an unemployment lawyer do that. The first lawyer who responded to me said that my CARES Act money should be ok, but the 2nd one said she wasn't sure.

The other guy never called me back. If I don't get that CARES Act money, we are going to court. I always feared that I'd be the one cheated out of that money the first time I logged back into the unemployment website back in March, and everything that I feared would happen is happening and I can't reach anybody to fix it and it's altering my life. If I wait it out, and things stay the same I am going to absolutely hire an unemployment lawyer if I never see that CARES Act money.

I'm gonna contact a few more lawyers who are still open and wait on that one guy who never called me back, but the general consensus seems to be that my only chance with lawyers is that one of them has direct contact with someone at the DOL to get this fixed, and that's ridiculous, but it sure does seem to be the only chance.

Old 06-08-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I'm being forced to go back when I shouldn't have to be, but as it stands I'll definitely pay any lawyer who can get me that $6600 and my unemployment back pay as soon as possible. I'm in serious trouble because I know that in my case the only way I'm resolving this is spelling it out face to face for one of these unreachable unemployment people or having an unemployment lawyer do that. The first lawyer who responded to me said that my CARES Act money should be ok, but the 2nd one said she wasn't sure.

The other guy never called me back. If I don't get that CARES Act money, we are going to court. I always feared that I'd be the one cheated out of that money the first time I logged back into the unemployment website back in March, and everything that I feared would happen is happening and I can't reach anybody to fix it and it's altering my life. If I wait it out, and things stay the same I am going to absolutely hire an unemployment lawyer if I never see that CARES Act money.

I'm gonna contact a few more lawyers who are still open and wait on that one guy who never called me back, but the general consensus seems to be that my only chance with lawyers is that one of them has direct contact with someone at the DOL to get this fixed, and that's ridiculous, but it sure does seem to be the only chance.
Yeah man, please keep fighting. You have so much to gain monetarily. I would dedicate these next couple days off to calling UI non stop, as well as calling every lawyer in your area. Obviously they aren't free, but they may and hopefully will get you your money faster.

You are going back to work on friday, right? Unless by some strange miracle, the funds magically show up in your account between now and then.

Old 06-08-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Yeah man, please keep fighting. You have so much to gain monetarily. I would dedicate these next couple days off to calling UI non stop, as well as calling every lawyer in your area. Obviously they aren't free, but they may and hopefully will get you your money faster.

You are going back to work on friday, right? Unless by some strange miracle, the funds magically show up in your account between now and then.

Seems like I don't have much of a choice at this point

I'll try my hardest like you said, but I can see this playing out to the point that I'm stuck working at my current job throughout the summer and will need to file again on August 11th and will get my money immediately for the back payments, but won't see a penny of the $6600 in CARES Act money. I like to stay optimistic, but that's what I fear could happen, and it's not fair whatsoever.

I do have plenty of vacation hours that I've never used at my job, and I'll use them during August if I'm still there. This is definitely a dark time in my life and I always try to stay optimistic, but I see where this is all headed unless I can get help.

Old 06-08-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Seems like I don't have much of a choice at this point

I'll try my hardest like you said, but I can see this playing out to the point that I'm stuck working at my current job throughout the summer and will need to file again on August 11th and will get my money immediately for the back payments, but won't see a penny of the $6600 in CARES Act money. I like to stay optimistic, but that's what I fear could happen, and it's not fair whatsoever.

I do have plenty of vacation hours that I've never used at my job, and I'll use them during August if I'm still there. This is definitely a dark time in my life and I always try to stay optimistic, but I see where this is all headed unless I can get help.
Its definitely a dark time for you and a good portion of the country. I pray it gets better as well. The only problem with filing again in August, you will be back to work. If you quit your current job, then you wont be able to get unemployment benefits. The back pay part, that's another story. I really do hope you get the opportunity to sit down with someone and you can explain to him the situation and what your trying to do.

Yeah, the cares act 600.00 backpay for all those weeks is the golden ticket. If you can get it. Keep me posted man, I wanna know how this story ends.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:21 PM

874 posts, read 729,359 times
Quote:

you wont get the money you will have to find a job, and when you do find a job your claim will just get lost or terminated because you are working. so the state pockets all your money, and nobody can do anything about it. your not going to get your money this week,or next week. your never going to get your money, its been stolen is what you dont understand. you keep giving them excuses, no they stole your money and your not going to get 1 red cent. and go ahead call your representative, they wont do anything because they probably know the person stealing your money

Old 06-08-2020, 11:22 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,771,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
you wont get the money you will have to find a job, and when you do find a job your claim will just get lost or terminated because you are working. so the state pockets all your money, and nobody can do anything about it. your not going to get your money this week,or next week. your never going to get your money, its been stolen is what you dont understand. you keep giving them excuses, no they stole your money and your not going to get 1 red cent. and go ahead call your representative, they wont do anything because they probably know the person stealing your money
That's incorrect. Claimant will be entitled to those back weeks and federal payment back payments. When you certify the back weeks you're certifying for each of those weeks you were unemployed, not present tense, so being back to work shouldn't negate your entitlement to those retro weeks. Stealing??? SMH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment