Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 02:30 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,218,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemocha View Post
Ca EDD should have some more info on this soon as stated here yesterday:

https://abc7news.com/ca-edd-coronavi...efits/6265603/
Good to know, thanks.

So we might have not have much of a lag between PEUC and Fed-ED after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 02:36 PM

31 posts, read 17,193 times
No problem. Hot off the press. It still lacking in details but seems like EDD is on it.

https://www.edd.ca.gov/About_EDD/pdf/news-20-28.pdf

"Additional Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits soon available
for long term unemployed.
The EDD is finalizing the details of a separate extension of regular UI benefits that
will soon become available for those who are struggling to return to a job in the
midst of this coronavirus pandemic. The Federal-State Extended Duration benefits
program, known in California as FED-ED, only becomes available during times of
high or prolonged periods of unemployment. It will offer up to at least 13 weeks of
additional benefits for those who run out of their initial benefits on their regular
state UI claim, as well as any benefits they are eligible for on the current 13-week
federal Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) extension.
The first week a claimant could be exhausting a current PEUC claim is next week.
The EDD is sweeping our systems and will be automatically filing a new FED-ED
claim for those potentially eligible. More details will become available next week."

Old 06-25-2020, 02:45 PM

Wow! Great news.

I'm actually surprised they are on top of it already.

Old 06-27-2020, 05:25 AM

142 posts, read 83,973 times
How will this be added to our current claims? What if our Claim End Date comes prior to the 20 week extension end date?

Those who are in my situation (PEUC exhaust tomorrow) and I start receiving EB starting July 5

Old 06-27-2020, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCNYC212 View Post
How will this be added to our current claims? What if our Claim End Date comes prior to the 20 week extension end date?

Those who are in my situation (PEUC exhaust tomorrow) and I start receiving EB starting July 5
What I meant was:

If my Benefit Year End Date is in August 30, 2020 and I start collecting the 20 Weeks of EB starting July 5...
I will have claimed 7/5, 7/12, 7/19, 7/26, 8/2, 8/9, 8/16, 8/23, 8/30.. which is 9 weeks into EB then my Benefit Year End Date is expired.

How will I continue to collect the remainder of the 20 weeks of EB, granted that I am still unemployed?

Old 06-27-2020, 07:50 PM

164 posts, read 141,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scal2010 View Post
Good to know, thanks.

So we might have not have much of a lag between PEUC and Fed-ED after all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemocha View Post
No problem. Hot off the press. It still lacking in details but seems like EDD is on it.

https://www.edd.ca.gov/About_EDD/pdf/news-20-28.pdf

"Additional Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits soon available
for long term unemployed.
The EDD is finalizing the details of a separate extension of regular UI benefits that
will soon become available for those who are struggling to return to a job in the
midst of this coronavirus pandemic. The Federal-State Extended Duration benefits
program, known in California as FED-ED, only becomes available during times of
high or prolonged periods of unemployment. It will offer up to at least 13 weeks of
additional benefits for those who run out of their initial benefits on their regular
state UI claim, as well as any benefits they are eligible for on the current 13-week
federal Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) extension.
The first week a claimant could be exhausting a current PEUC claim is next week.
The EDD is sweeping our systems and will be automatically filing a new FED-ED
claim for those potentially eligible. More details will become available next week."
Quote:
Wow! Great news.

I'm actually surprised they are on top of it already.
Quote:

Quote:
What I meant was:

If my Benefit Year End Date is in August 30, 2020 and I start collecting the 20 Weeks of EB starting July 5...
I will have claimed 7/5, 7/12, 7/19, 7/26, 8/2, 8/9, 8/16, 8/23, 8/30.. which is 9 weeks into EB then my Benefit Year End Date is expired.

How will I continue to collect the remainder of the 20 weeks of EB, granted that I am still unemployed?
As much grief as the EDD gets, California was always more pro-active on this than many would believe, but guys, for goodness sake, $450 a week?? Who can survive on that in SFO or LA alone when even Modesto Rent is $1500. Can someone please start emailing the State Legislature to do something about these Weekly Benefit Rates from the 90s ?? For such an otherwise progressive State to have such low Weekly Benefit Rates despite a cacophony of an entire spectrum of diverse BOOMING Industries is absolutely shameful and ridiculous!
Anyhow I digress as usual.

From what I can recall, the way this worked the last time around post-2008 Recession with the EDD was that the EUC/EB would kick in after you exhausted -- until your Benefit Year expired. Then you would file a new Claim with a Brand New Benefit Year in succession -- after which when you expired that new Claim after 26 Weeks, then your previous "left-over" EUC/EB Benefits from the previous claim would get tagged on.... This went on in a strange tandem fashion one after another for quite a while.

Per moi, this situation is much much worse to be honest; and should be getting handled with an even more urgent concern because people can't even find work if they would/could because there really isn't any work to be found out there and you can hardly be "hitting the pavement going door to door" as they used to say.

Old 06-27-2020, 08:11 PM

If that will be the case now, I wouldnt have sufficient wages as Q2 18', Q3 18', Q4 18', Q1 19' were used... As Ive moved out of state for the remaining of 2019 wages...

When my benefit year ends Aug 30 and I file a new claim, there would be no sufficient wages for a new claim to certify for remainder of EB, right ?

Old 06-27-2020, 09:37 PM

343 posts, read 186,656 times
Where is this coming from? This 20 weeks EB starting July 5????

Old 06-28-2020, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstorm00 View Post
From what I can recall, the way this worked the last time around post-2008 Recession with the EDD was that the EUC/EB would kick in after you exhausted -- until your Benefit Year expired. Then you would file a new Claim with a Brand New Benefit Year in succession -- after which when you expired that new Claim after 26 Weeks, then your previous "left-over" EUC/EB Benefits from the previous claim would get tagged on.... This went on in a strange tandem fashion one after another for quite a while.
I don't know if it will be the same this time. My claim year already ended and now it just says "on extension" (I'm on PEUC). I think when they add EB on, it will be for 13 weeks and not list a claim year. Not sure though.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:38 AM

11 posts, read 7,097 times
Quote:
I don't know if it will be the same this time. My claim year already ended and now it just says "on extension" (I'm on PEUC). I think when they add EB on, it will be for 13 weeks and not list a claim year. Not sure though.
When did it end? In CT claims with benefit year ending before 5/1/2020 are not eligible for EB
https://www.ctdol.state.ct.us/extendedbenefits.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment