Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 03:12 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,808,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
1/2 of those cost money or don't take more than 20 minutes lol

and no friends to spend time with

I do do some things. I'm just bored is all

But seriously I can't imagine any human being liking nothing to do for more than a week straight. Our advanced brains require us to constantly be doing something. If that wasn't true we wouldn't have civilization and all the technical gadgets we see nowadays. We're not an "idle" species.
Exactly. The first month was great. I got all kinds of things done. Now I need adult interaction, and like you have no friends around here. My job was an offsite arrangement so all my friends are 120 miles away.
You aren't in the Inland Empire (So Cal) are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 04:21 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times
Speaking for myself, I work out nearly every day. As far as college, I have 2 degrees and no more money to pay for loans.

There are a lot of online things you can learn, for free, though.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:25 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
i personally feel that if you are unemployed, there should never be a such thing as being bored because it will always be something to do

Old 01-23-2009, 04:14 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,700,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
i personally feel that if you are unemployed, there should never be a such thing as being bored because it will always be something to do
You can be doing something and still be bored doing it. Or want something else to do besides that one thing all the time. Not to mention how demoralizing it can get after awhile.

Go ahead and fill in the same personal information over and over and over, day after day after day, and get no responses ever and see if you get that warm fuzzy feeling of accomplishment. Personally I often find I've wasted my time and its all very unfullfilling, hence the boredom.

Once I get a job, I'll be fine. Life is just very "ho-hum" in the meanwhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
Exactly. The first month was great. I got all kinds of things done. Now I need adult interaction, and like you have no friends around here. My job was an offsite arrangement so all my friends are 120 miles away.
You aren't in the Inland Empire (So Cal) are you?
Yeah, I'm from LA.

And work was my source of adult interaction, too. I was told that is very common for many adults.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:53 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
You can be doing something and still be bored doing it. Or want something else to do besides that one thing all the time. Not to mention how demoralizing it can get after awhile.

Go ahead and fill in the same personal information over and over and over, day after day after day, and get no responses ever and see if you get that warm fuzzy feeling of accomplishment. Personally I often find I've wasted my time and its all very unfullfilling, hence the boredom.

Once I get a job, I'll be fine. Life is just very "ho-hum" in the meanwhile.

Yeah, I'm from LA.

And work was my source of adult interaction, too. I was told that is very common for many adults.

I will continue to work toward getting a job even if there are no responses

Old 01-23-2009, 11:28 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,700,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I will continue to work toward getting a job even if there are no responses

so will I. Just saying that its boring and doesn't count as something to do as much as something that "needs" to be done. Sorta like grocery shopping and paying bills really aren't things to do, as much as something you just have to do.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:45 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
Good idea.

Cleaning and organizing anything.

Lifting weights.

Volunteer work at a near by place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebdj View Post
That sucks, I'm sorry to hear it. Have you cleaned the house top to bottom, yet? That's what I've done in the past and felt like I accomplished something.

But, it sounds like you are looking for stimulation. Maybe taking up running? Or look up volunteer opportunities? Where do you live?

Old 01-26-2009, 06:11 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,558,418 times
Unemployed and bored do NOT go together... looking for work should be your primary JOB and that should consume more than 40 hours of your day.

Developing your LinkedIn network instead of surfing the internet.

Calling someone at a company to set-up a time to visit with them about their company instead of calling a friend to just chat (and I mean companies that don't have any formal postings) - this is called networking - don't do it with HR, do it with the real people in the company.

Meeting old friends to see who they know that you can call and work thru to uncover possibilities - intestead of just meeting an old friend for a beer and nothing else.

Actively work CareerBuilder, Monster.com, CareerLink, Indeed.com, and Ladders instead of playing Guitar Hero.

Attend church and meet people - funny thing that a lot of people of influence that do hiring have a strong faith. Instead of sleeping in on Sun morn.

Volunteer - instead of laying on the couch - amazing who else volunteers sometimes its a company event and those people are in hiring positions - even if you don't get a job lead it helps you mentally and also builds the resume.

Lots and lots of things to do other than just email an application to a company and then sit and wait. Only 25% of jobs are actually posted in the newspaper, etc... I bet less than 50% of jobs are actually listed on a company website or a job search engine... the balance of them are created through networking and that can be more than a full-time job in itself.

Every morning, get dressed and walk out of the house with a plan to return at 5pm... if you have no clue where to go then just go to the public library and start researching a company in your area... learn about it, find out who the owners are, who the management is, find out who you know there - or who you know that may know someone there.. work on setting up INFORMATIONAL interviews with some of those people - just asking them about the company and who they may know... never know what your interviewing them to learn about them may lead to... never leave an information interview without asking for a lead of who else they think you should visit with in your quest to learn.

Always have a 30 second response to who you are, what your skills are, and what you are looking for - its called an "elevator speech"... practice/practice/practice it so its natural and not scripted. Pretend you walked into the elevator with the president of the company and you have 3 floors to give that intro... heck, you could spend your down-time just going to a quite place (library) and working on this for a day.

Think of yourself as a product... Think of yourself as a salesman... Think of yourself as a business owner... Your #1 job as a business owner is to sell your product and you have your #1 salesman hired to represent that product for you... step away and let your #1 salesman sell your #1 product... The resume is just a marketing slick for the product.... Your LinkedIn is your powerpoint for that executive overview of the product... People don't always know they want to buy a product until they are presented with the product and its benefits (same reason not all jobs are posted).

Get to work your small business depends on it. Looking for work is the hardest job I have ever had - and the most rewarding as I learned tons!

Old 01-26-2009, 06:21 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,558,418 times
Great statement by Paul Harvey...
Quote:
You can always tell when you are on the road to success; it’s uphill all the way.
...keep in mind when you thinking looking for a job is hard... or worse, when things are boring...

Old 01-26-2009, 07:12 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times
What makes me laugh is people who think they have the right to lecture others.

Moms who also work are in a totally different category than dads who are free to take any job, spend their whole day job hunting (mom will be home to handle the kids, the dog, the housework, the bills, whatever). They are free to take the job they want, do the hours expected, while the other parent has to 'work around them' while being the homemaker, too.

I'd love to be out there in 4 different charities helping out, meeting people and using 40 hours a week to network. However, my primary obligation is being home for my child. Although my husband works nights and he has taken up the the slack (when I did work from March-August), I would walk in at 4:10 pm, have to listen to how he only got 1 maybe 2 things done all day...and I did the rest of it, including cooking dinner, homework, the childcare and so on..

Jacky is probably in the same boat as I am. She wants a job, and is willing to work but has to be home by a certain time because of childcare needs.

Employers today, even for **** jobs expect you to be willing to do any and all hours. I was lucky at my last job to be 5 minutes from home, so the low pay was outweighed by the fact I could leave on time and be home in a few minutes. Even then I heard a lot of crap from my coworkers (many who started after 9, though I was in at 7:30 and my department HAD NOTHING to do with them), "Are you leaving already..?" Way to make a career soar!

Try looking for a job while you have a kid demanding this, a dog ripping up that, a husband who says 'you have to do something' yet expects the clothes to be clean, the house quiet so he can get his 8 hours sleep....meanwhile you get maybe 6 hours sleep.

Job boards are USELESS. I don't know how anyone gets a job from Monster or Careerbuilder. The only job board remotely helpful is Simplyhired. As for networking, I talk to people all the time but this area is on a hiring lock down! No one is interested in 'hooking up' anyone for a job or even talking about it. They clam up if you discuss your job situation.

Yeah, it's a picnic being unemployed. Doing chore after chore is boring. So is trying to find a job when there aren't any! As for sitting on the couch and sleeping in, I have probably done more housework in 2 hours by 8:30 am than some 'working people' do in a week. I am always the first one up in my house, any day of the week. It's alright for some to lecture about 'getting out there' but if you are responsible for other people and things, you can't just drop those 'and hang out' meeting people.

PS I am not 'crying for myself' just letting people know that I always worked up until being a parent and since being out of the job market, the rules for what I can and can't do (time constraints) limits opportunities. People really have no clue what it is like to be a working mom unless you do it.

Last edited by GypsySoul22; 01-26-2009 at 07:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment