Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 07:28 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,701,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
...Every morning, get dressed and walk out of the house with a plan to return at 5pm... if you have no clue where to go then just go to the public library and start researching a company in your area...
Don't have young kids at home do ya? lol

Those are great suggestions honestly. And I do as much as I can. My child is young and disabled and I have to be home for them. There's not a lot I can do except during school hours and even then I have to be on call in case he has an episode and has to come home early. That sort of issue is why I'm not a reliable employee for anyone. Why hire some person with issues when they can hire some 17-yr old with no obligations at all? I dont blame them for that.

Keep in mind the economy and unemployment rate are very bad right now.

Lastly, just because a job is available doesn't necessarily follow that any old unemployed person should take it. They may not be qualified for the work. There may be safety concerns, as well in just hiring anyone for certain jobs. Example: Why would I apply to be a Dental Hygenist when I have no training or interest in that area? It wouldn't benefit anyone for me to be there even if I did get the job.

Bottom line: Everyone's situation is different. And as good a set of rules may sound, its not going to fit the mold for everyone out there. Its very possible until my kids are adults, that I may be unemployed. In fact my job may be as an unpayed caregiver to my kids. At least I'm home to see them grow up (which is way too fast btw).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 08:33 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,720,684 times
Dave1215 had some good suggestions that responded directly to the original post in this thread. Bit unfair to call him out for lecturing when he was only offering what was asked. And plenty of what he said could apply to people looking for part-time work.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:46 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,559,236 times
Everyone has different circumstances and everyone has a hardship. My "lecture" was just a point that if you are "bored" as the OP indicated then you have a problem... it is your job to understand how to solve your problem... don't just ***** and moan about life circumstances - we all have them... get start thinking about selling yourself, however that works in your situation.

A person that once worked for me heard some folks complaining in a staff meeting about how they couldn't do some things... always remember a comment he made "guess what, work is hard"... well guess what getting a job is work and work is hard... that means overcoming tough times, tough circumstances.

The one thing I really like when I'm looking for work (in good or bad times) is when others sit back and become bored or can't think thru their circumstances (whatever those may be)... keeps them out of the active job pool and makes my job of finding work a lot harder.

Done with the "lecture"...

Old 01-26-2009, 08:47 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,559,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Its very possible until my kids are adults, that I may be unemployed. In fact my job may be as an unpayed caregiver to my kids. At least I'm home to see them grow up (which is way too fast btw).
In my opinion, this is the most important job - so best of luck!!

Old 01-26-2009, 10:24 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
It's no way that a person can be BORED if they are on their own when they are unemployed.

I'm thinking this thread was started by someone who is living with their parents

Old 01-26-2009, 11:14 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,077,860 times
I'm sorry, Dave, you guys are right.
I am just very oversensitive about this topic. I do apologize.

I am just fed up for really trying for 2 years and getting nothing but a brick wall.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:04 PM

1,577 posts, read 3,701,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It's no way that a person can be BORED if they are on their own when they are unemployed.

I'm thinking this thread was started by someone who is living with their parents
Actually I'm living with my very much employed spouse and 2 young children. We do make enough to get by, but it never hurts to make a little more. Plus I would get out of the house and that would help my mind . And sorry to burst your virtual bubble, but I'm afraid I've been away from my parents' home for a looong time now, as have all my siblings long since flown from the nest and have their own families as well. And as much as I wish it wasn't true, I'm sorry to say that: Yes, I am bored. So there is a "way"

Dontcha love how some people on the internet think they "know" everything about other complete strangers on the internet? lol

Old 01-27-2009, 12:59 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,571,477 times
Dave you have a point and I think most people see that but just because you are doing something does not mean you can't be bored! I agree though, that if there is a problem we all have to be active about changing things.

What if you are doing all those things and you are getting nowhere. I am trying to network more and still hitting brick walls. I decided to stay home when my son was born, never thinking I would be where I am now. My husband had a great job we were planning on having at least one more child so i didn't expect to have to join the workforce for a while. Then boom, my husband is killed unexpectedly. So not only am I a single mom, I am an ONLY parent of a very demanding six year old boy. Now I am thinking I never should have taken more than a year or two off. I am being hit with a double whammy. Six years later and in the worst job market in recent history, who the heck is going to hire me? I didn't even have that long of a career before he was born - four years.

I did work part time for two years while he was in school so it wasn't that I didn't do anything but that job ended last summer and isn't relevent to any sort of career path that I might take. So now I am in a panic because I am worried that this recession will last longer than I have savings for.

Sorry, this has really turned out to be a major vent. Maybe we are doing all those things but for everyone of me, there are 20 other people just like me that have been working the last six years. That isn't exactly helping our confidence much, which is probably more of a factor in a job hunt than anything.

Oh, and I wanted to ad that I am not looking for a dream job. Any old administrative assistant job would do. I am very willing to work with low pay and from the bottom up.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:48 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,077,860 times
Jenn,
Sorry about your husband, it's rough being a single mom with a kid...kuddos to you.
I also understand about the 'time off thing.' I was a SAHM for 10 years. We simply could not afford 2 cars to have the 2 jobs and afford childcare for our son so I stayed home. Before that, I worked a variety of jobs. I ALWAYS worked and it was NEVER this hard to get a job.

Last year after the 10 years, I finally hooked up with a temp company that works specifically with moms. Although my job only lasted a few months, the point is, I got something after 10 years.

You can, after a few. Just hang in there. Try to improve your skills every day.

I live in a small area (we moved in Sept. 07 from NY) and most of the people are extremely educated, yet underemployed. I am competing against them, too, with all my experience and degrees for admin. jobs, or anything with normal office hours.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:00 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,571,477 times
Thanks. I think I just needed to vent a little. I need to get out of this funk I am in, part of it I swear is due to the weather.

I have been in touch with, so far, two employment agencies. It just takes so long filling out everything, meeting with them and I spent all morning doing skills assessments for both companies, so now I have a headache from basically not moving all morning and just staring at the computer answering questions.

Edited to add: Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread I just could SO relate to the OPs post even though our situations are a little different. I am VERY bored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment