Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 11:31 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,092,967 times

Advertisements

I just found out someone got a job after less than 2 interviews...hardly trying (less than a few weeks). I am so frustrated.

I just broke down and cried and had a bit fight w/my husband...

I really can't stand everyone else getting jobs but me. I usually get pretty upset...stupid...I mean I am happy for this person (I wrote her a wonderful reference letter) but still....

How do you guys handle the 'rejection?'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 11:36 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,134,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I just found out someone got a job after less than 2 interviews...hardly trying (less than a few weeks). I am so frustrated.

I really can't stand everyone else getting jobs but me. I usually get pretty upset...stupid...I mean I am happy for this person (I wrote her a wonderful reference letter) but still....

I think you are very courageous to be so honest! ;-)

Personally, I have known at least three people get jobs in the last month and three or four on this web site, who have reported that they got a job.

I am actually happy for them. I guess, because i feel pretty optimistic about my future as a paralegal. I also work as an intern everyday and received glowing references.

just a thought

Old 05-01-2009, 11:42 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,703,319 times
I'm happy for them.

I'd only feel jealous if it was a job I wanted and new I should have gotten, but so far those people your referring to are getting jobs I have no interest in, so I'm fine with it.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:52 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,299,533 times
I know how you feel. I have been looking for a job for the last month and a half and I haven't gotten a single call from ANYONE. And on the other hand, my friend who was also looking got a few different interviews and just accepted a job It sucks, but that is the way it is I guess.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:00 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,846,241 times
Ok, I won't say the first word in the sentence that everyone does.

I'll just answer, if you've been unemployed for any amount of time, say, over a month, and you have bills, obligations, that you are having a hard time meeting, and you want to work, then naturally you will feel some jealousy, or envy is a better word.
We all want to be successful, we all have it driven into us from day one of school, go to school, to college, get a job, be a success, without a job, you're not a success, more over for the male, the females are being pushed into that realm of belief, but it's still a half and half situation. (I know a lot of females are going to come back quickly, but please read the post, I stated, 50/50, be real and honest, I am. That's why I didn't start out the thread with the stupid word, "Honestly?")
I mean, who wants someone to tell them a lie in the first place?
I digress,
So, after the first twinge of envy, then if we are mature adults, we feel congratulations are in order for that person, and also then we start feeling more optimistic about our future, because we start comparing ourselves to them and we Know we have stronger skills, blah, blah blah, and before we know it, we convince ourself that we could have had that job if we would have applied for it, boy is he or she lucky that we didn't know about it. We wish them well and go on our way with more confidence than before.
Also knowing that there is one less "opponent" in the job market. Another benefit of someone finding a job.
Theres a silver lining in almost everything you look at, you can read the obituaries and see at least one person that died that was working, and say, hey, I wonder where they worked, maybe there's a job opening. I know its' morbid, but it's true. So smile, the weekend is here, we can all be just people for Saturday and Sunday. forget the titles, everybody else does.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:21 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,092,967 times
Thanks for the replies. I am actually quite happy for the person because she is very nice and does well at her job (she is one of my son's teachers).
She has been wonderful for him and I admire the works she does...special ed. teaching.

I have a Masters in Elementary Ed. but due to the lack of jobs in teaching when I got my degree, I sort of drifted out of teaching because the only jobs I could get were in preschools which pay very, very badly.

Eventually I went on to customer service and office work again because they were steady gigs...

However, I am rethinking going back into it if I can get certified in my current state or the one next to me. It's sort of scary because I have not taught in a long time but if I can get a job, even as an aide, it will be a start in the right direction.

Thanks again.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:33 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,100,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post

It was arkward for me since me and this girl were laid off the same week and she got a job in 3 weeks and I tried my best to be happy for her but it was tough. Just look at everyday as a NEW DAY and not stress about rejections. I still have all my rejections letters so I can look back at them in the future see how far I have come.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:34 PM

The Silver Lining! Your son benefits more than a few dollars could ever make you happier. Have a great weekend, and remember, next weekend is,
Mother's Day weekend, so, she is giving you a Mother's Day present, she'll be taking care of your son all next year.
(it's just how you look at it)

Old 05-01-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It was arkward for me since me and this girl were laid off the same week and she got a job in 3 weeks and I tried my best to be happy for her but it was tough. Just look at everyday as a NEW DAY and not stress about rejections. I still have all my rejections letters so I can look back at them in the future see how far I have come.
TV, file those Damn things! Man, that's like looking at pictures of old girlfriends and beating yourself up. I'd say trash em', but you might have to show them to the workforce commission for proof, but looking back at them, hell no. Put them in a box, move on, Say, what didn't I do to get that job, If you did everything possible, then there is nothing you can do. It's not like an equation, math or physics, you are dealing with other human beings, their likes, their dislikes, their quirks, their idiosyncrasies, today they like people wearing blue shirts and red ties, tomorrow the skirt has to be orange. You do your best, and if you are proud of it, you look yourself in the mirror, and can honestly tell,

"The man in the mirror, I didn't get the job, but it's not because I didn't do my best", then you have nothing to be ashamed of, and nothing to change, just keep on trying.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:52 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,100,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
TV, file those Damn things! Man, that's like looking at pictures of old girlfriends and beating yourself up. I'd say trash em', but you might have to show them to the workforce commission for proof, but looking back at them, hell no. Put them in a box, move on, Say, what didn't I do to get that job, If you did everything possible, then there is nothing you can do. It's not like an equation, math or physics, you are dealing with other human beings, their likes, their dislikes, their quirks, their idiosyncrasies, today they like people wearing blue shirts and red ties, tomorrow the skirt has to be orange. You do your best, and if you are proud of it, you look yourself in the mirror, and can honestly tell,

"The man in the mirror, I didn't get the job, but it's not because I didn't do my best", then you have nothing to be ashamed of, and nothing to change, just keep on trying.
I don't have them sitting out, they are put away in a box so I can just look at them again in the future along with the layoff letter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment