Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 06:56 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times

Advertisements

Again, you can be all these 'frumpy' things and get a job...

You guys have to see the people around here...I mean, in Vermont it's sort of the opposite. Everyone seems old!! If you are young, you are more likely not to be hired because everyone is middle aged.

I have never seen so many old (and I mean old) people working. It's the nature of our local 'economy'. Many of the baggers in the stores are over 65..Everyone in our local library has to be 50 plus at least...

I think that is also part of our economic problem. People cling on to their jobs (any job) and no one gets hired.

I just read the other day on Yahoo that there are 6 people circling one job right now...one has it and 5 want it...in some places the numbers have to be higher.

Hang in there. That's all we can do. It hit me this morning I lived a year in my last apartment and never worked one day...I mean, these things can make you miserable but what can you do? Life goes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 09:19 AM

8,956 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Illigal "discrimination" written ALL OVER the below!!! But, then again, it is ALL true what Annerk states! Good looks and dressing right gets the good paying jobs today! I sure wouldn't say that about most Wal Mart employees though! Wife and I both use hair dye and are "trying" to lose those "older age" pounds, but sure isn't much can be done about facial wrinkles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I agree with this so much! People who look old and tired aren't going to get hired. A bit of dye (a few shades lighter than your natural color!!), a chic haircut for women, and get rid of the Brill Cream for men. Get some stylish clothing--if it's more than five years old, it's probably not what you want to wear to an interview. If you are overweight, get on a diet and excercise program--dropping a few pounds and some daily excercise will give you a lot of energy.

I can remember many years ago, my boss was looking for a secretary, and most of the women he was interviewing were in their 40's and 50's. he never came out and said it, but the ones who looked "old" didn't stand a chance. The woman he hired was in her late 50's, but she was trim, stylish, and energetic. She actually appeared to be much more energetic than some of the frumpy women 10-15 years younger.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:54 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Illigal "discrimination" written ALL OVER the below!!! But, then again, it is ALL true what Annerk states! Good looks and dressing right gets the good paying jobs today! I sure wouldn't say that about most Wal Mart employees though! Wife and I both use hair dye and are "trying" to lose those "older age" pounds, but sure isn't much can be done about facial wrinkles!
Hair dyed too dark will make wrinkles more noticable, as will certain hairstyles.

And it's not illegal to discriminate against someone who appears to have less energy or doesn't present a good appearance (ie dressing unfashionably or having a bad haircut.) in favor of someone who seems energetic and stylish.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:26 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,421,375 times
Hello everybody. Just last week I told a friend that all of our job experts are running out of things to say. At this point I would rather hear, "folks, we are short x number of jobs. It's dog eat dog so get out there and scratch the best you can". I'd describe the folks at our library, but I'm using the library computer today!

Old 09-09-2009, 12:18 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times
I'm going to be the negative person in the thread and answer the OP head on. Some people over 50 are SOL. My brother was a successful exec with an MBA and put out to pasture at 53. He is now 60 and hasn't worked since, despite going back to school to learn investor type consulting stuff. Meanwhile, my SIL with a high school diploma has her own marketing company and is around 54.

Difference? Well, I think many people who can get the jobs have tremendous attitudes with respect to themselves (IOW - very high self esteem and no doesn't bug them). One is much better off being a narcissist in this current economy than a nice person.

I'll be 50 soon. I may be SOL. My negative attitude doesn't help much. Then again, maybe I'm just a realist. Ageism is alive and well. Younger people do have or are perceived as having more energy and trainable. A lot of hiring managers would probably prefer to have someone younger reporting to them rather than someone with years of experience. Sorry, but I think this is the truth.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:29 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,638,776 times
Can't hide your age anymore because of background checks.
Businesses know that older people, (on the average), will have more health issues than a younger person, miss more work, and cost the company more. Why do you think older people pay more for health and life insurance? You want a new employee that shows up everyday, or is at the doctors office? And not to mention, being close to retirement. That alone scares employers. But these hiring managers will be older someday too. What comes around goes around.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:55 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest09 View Post
Can't hide your age anymore because of background checks.Businesses know that older people, (on the average), will have more health issues than a younger person, miss more work, and cost the company more. Why do you think older people pay more for health and life insurance? You want a new employee that shows up everyday, or is at the doctors office? And not to mention, being close to retirement. That alone scares employers. But these hiring managers will be older someday too. What comes around goes around.
But don't they have to offer you a job before doing the background check? Oops, I guess not. They probably do this before offering the job. In my last job I think I was offered the job and then they did the check and my starting was contingent on passing the background check. Or maybe they didn't do it since I am fingerprint clearanced already.

While older people will cost more in terms of insurance premiums and retirement age is an issue and I agree with you, I don't think older people miss work anymore than anyone else and I think the opposite is true.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:04 PM

8,956 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Yea, I remember when I told my last supervisor that I was going to have a hip replacement done and I'd be on Medical Leave w/Rehab up to 6 weeks (which it was 6 weeks). He was just "ok" with it! I was 56. Then, in the winter of 2006, I fell on my right shoulder in ice/snow and completely torn three tendons.......rotary cuff surgery (age 58)! Another 6 week Medical Leave w/Rehab! Only thought I'd be out a couple of weeks, but surgeon said "no way!" Supervisor again "ok" with the Leave, but could tell he wasn't that "ok" with it. I worked for this company for 4 1/2 years and was a BIG help to my supervisor when he was at meetings or on vacations, to that helped me keep my job after each surgery. But, yes, older age and health issues are always concerns of employers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest09 View Post
Can't hide your age anymore because of background checks.
Businesses know that older people, (on the average), will have more health issues than a younger person, miss more work, and cost the company more. Why do you think older people pay more for health and life insurance? You want a new employee that shows up everyday, or is at the doctors office? And not to mention, being close to retirement. That alone scares employers. But these hiring managers will be older someday too. What comes around goes around.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:55 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
At my job, I'd say that the younger people (I mean well under 30) often leave at 11:30 at night looking fine, and call in sick at 1:45 am for their next shift. The bars here close at 2.
I rarely see the older workers calling in for mental health days or for non-sick reasons. I think it balances out, the occasional knee replacement versus a lot of young people antics.
I believe, statistically, even in this economy, people over 50 (and maybe even younger) are unemployed significantly longer than younger people. But I hardly know of any group that's having an easy time of it.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:17 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
At my job, I'd say that the younger people (I mean well under 30) often leave at 11:30 at night looking fine, and call in sick at 1:45 am for their next shift. The bars here close at 2.
I rarely see the older workers calling in for mental health days or for non-sick reasons. I think it balances out, the occasional knee replacement versus a lot of young people antics.
I believe, statistically, even in this economy, people over 50 (and maybe even younger) are unemployed significantly longer than younger people. But I hardly know of any group that's having an easy time of it.
And the ones that are in their 30's and often 40's are the ones that call out with sick kids or have to leave eraly for teacher conferences, etc. It all balanaces out, there is no one single group that can collectively claim to never take time off. I do believe that the over 30 with no kids and empty-nester workers are often less likely to call out as opposed to taking scheduled time off then those with kids and those under 30 though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment