Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2009, 03:30 PM

702 posts, read 1,572,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Apparently, there is a lot of shifting on how the individual Senators will vote on this -- depending on the amendments.

Having a majority based on party affiliation and then predicting how those members will vote -- assuming they are actually present at the time of the roll call -- are two very different things.

Isakson (R-GA) and Dodd (D-CT) -- a Republican and a Democratic senator -- withheld their support until they got the homebuyers' tax credit lumped in. Who knows what is influencing the other Democrats?
It must be me I just must be missing something.
You have to expect that they know how they will vote on the bill itself though, and they have enough votes for that regardless of what amendments make it or not.

If you are going to tell me that Reid does not know if he has enough votes to vote Tarp down I find that hard to believe also. He knows one way or the other which is my concern either way it is not good if he knows he does not have enough then what then? How does he get past that?

If he has enough to vote it down then why the hesitation unless he also is stalling to try and make the republicans look bad.

I am not even going to start to consider that Reid has to worry about who is present for a roll call. These are seasoned Senators I find it hard to believe he is not aware of who is on the floor for a vote or not.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:33 PM

Oh I thought chubz wanted to see if this bill is Tier III or not.

You just wanted to know if you needed to have exhausted Tier III (I meant Tier II) to be eligible for hr3548.

Like DiorGirl said the bill simply states all you need to do is have exhausted your benefits.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:37 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,996,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr North Jersey View Post
It must be me I just must be missing something.
You have to expect that they know how they will vote on the bill itself though, and they have enough votes for that regardless of what amendments make it or not.
You make my case perfectly: Reid has no reason to delay this any further, particularly with all the other pending legislation on his plate -- unless he doesn't have a majority of Senators committed to vote for the passage of the bill.

If you want to believe that Reid has the votes and is delaying for another -- apparently not evident -- reason, so be it.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
You make my case perfectly: Reid has no reason to delay this any further, particularly with all the other pending legislation on his plate -- unless he doesn't have a majority of Senators committed to vote for the passage of the bill.

If you want to believe that Reid has the votes and is delaying for another -- apparently not evident -- reason, so be it.
Then Reid has no end game in which case the Bill has been filibustered because McConnell will never give up on wanting Tarp.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:42 PM

I hope everyone else is enjoying our back and forth between DiorGirl and Me I know I am. LoL

Old 10-29-2009, 03:44 PM

42 posts, read 74,099 times
What r they voteing on now!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-29-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSE29 View Post
What r they voteing on now!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!
Interior environment spending bill

Old 10-29-2009, 03:45 PM

138 posts, read 319,401 times
Not unemployment.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalDubber View Post
Not unemployment.
LoL, Circle gets the square!!!

Old 10-29-2009, 03:49 PM

259 posts, read 663,547 times
my honest opinion is they have to get this passed either tomorrow or first par tof next week. I think the president has no choice but to get in this if nothing is done. I think the Obama admin figured the senate was tackling it and let them handle it. Now that they are acting like a bunch of kids I think he has no choice but to step in here.

This will get passed, there's no way it can't. Its political suicide for all involved, democrat or republican. And they better do it soon, the problem is only going to get worse.

None of those amedments has any right on this bill. This was an emergency bill created for quick passage. With how long its taking now, they should have just went with the original version of this bill that addressed everything. because now its going to become somewhat of a big financial bill. Which is exactly the reason why they streamlined this bill, so it didnt get caught up in a financial debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment