Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 08:53 PM

702 posts, read 1,571,667 times

Advertisements

Wow so seems like I missed a lot today. That would be my luck.
Thanks to everyone for all the posts throughout the day it was like reading a box score to see what you missed.
Just that you may have to provide your own legend in trying to read the box score.
(Non Baseball people are scratching their head saying wtf is he talking about?)

So I'm going to try and piece together what I think will happen using links from 2 earlier posts (Thanks again guys/gals) and hopefully someone can tell me if that sounds about right ok?

Still Stalling on Unemployment Insurance Extension
Quote:
After voting 85-2 yesterday to proceed to legislation extending unemployment benefits at least 14 weeks nationwide, the Senate remains stalled Tuesday over a second procedural vote required to move to final passage.

Delaying the bill are (1) Republican leaders insisting on consideration of unrelated amendments, and (2) Senate rules requiring two cloture votes to move to final passage of a bill originating in the House when Senate Democrats want to swap it out for a substitute proposal, as was the case here.

So yesterday’s cloture vote was on the Senate substitute bill, with a second needed to move to the (amended) House bill. That’s a long way of saying that the final vote will come Thursday at the earliest, unless party leaders can reach an agreement beforehand.

...Technically, the second cloture vote could come as early as 11:40 p.m. tonight, though that vote will likely be pushed to Wednesday morning. Afterward, without an agreement, Democrats would have to wait another 30 hours before staging the final vote, which will likely come Thursday afternoon.

The next stop would be the House, which passed a different unemployment bill in September. House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) said Tuesday that chamber leaders will take up the Senate bill as soon as it arrives from the upper chamber.
At least we now know based on Senate rules that we are 1 cloture vote away from a final Roll Call Vote on the passage of the Bill.
Also the Vote will take place at 12:15pm tomorrow but we will get the benefit of the 30 hour clock being started as if being voted on at 11:45 tonight 5 minutes after the article claims that technically they could of done so had they hung around tonight.
Why didn't they do this with prior cloture votes I will never know.

As GOP Holds Up Unemployment Extension, Nearly 200,000 Lose Their Benefits
Quote:
...To get things moving, Democrats sweetened the pot, adding in billions in tax breaks for business -- a net operating loss carry-back provision that the GOP has long favored -- and an extension of the homebuyer tax credit. Reid introduced the goodies in a substitute amendment with Sen. Max Baucus (D-Mont.), a champion of the business tax break.

"The two were put together as a means of greasing the skids. You know how things work around here," Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) told HuffPost. "Could we have gotten UI through otherwise? Yes, we could have, but it would have taken us several days. And we don't have that kind of time. And the minority is then able to, because of the time, demand certain things."

The skids properly greased, Reid filed for cloture again on Oct. 29th. It came to a vote Monday night, Nov. 2nd, where it passed 85-2.

Still, the GOP fights, requesting that the 30 more hours of "debate" elapse. That'll take the Senate to late Tuesday night. If Reid invokes cloture again to proceed to the underlying bill, another 30 hours would take the Senate to Thursday morning at the earliest for -- at last -- a vote on the bill itself.

Following such overwhelming votes, a measure usually passes the Senate by a quick voice vote. "The common practice is when you get cloture on motion to proceed, you quickly allow it to pass," says Jim Manley, senior communications adviser for Reid.
If this attempt at sweetening the pot greased the skids then I pray I never find out what an ungreased skid looks like
Also Sen Harkin says it would of taken several days without it. Am I missing something here or has it not been several weeks?
Lastly just having quick and vote in the same sentence is refreshing to see.

Cloture Vote on Unemployment Extension Scheduled for Wednesday Afternoon
Quote:
The Senate will hold a procedural vote tomorrow at 12:15 p.m. to limit debate on legislation extending unemployment benefits in all states, Sen. Richard Durbin (D-Ill.) just announced on the chamber floor. Senate rules mandate that the final vote can’t come earlier than 30 hours after the cloture vote. To expedite final passage, however, Durbin also stipulated that the 30-hour clock be considered started at 11:45 p.m. Tuesday night — meaning the final vote could come Thursday morning, rather than much later in the day.
Reaffirmation of what we all know. Where will we be come Thursday morning I wonder?

Senate's vote to extend jobless benefits delayed (http://detnews.com/article/20091103/BIZ/911030420/Senate-s-vote-to-extend-jobless-benefits-delayed - broken link)
Quote:
...Gov. Jennifer Granholm's office in Washington said even if Congress and the president agree on a bill this week, the state's Unemployment Insurance Agency couldn't begin payments to jobless workers who've exhausted their benefits until mid-December.
I hope this is not true for all states (Especially NJ) but 4 to 5 weeks may just be what we are in for.

Another Cloture Vote Required For Unemployment Benefits Extension? (UPDATED)
Quote:
...What's worse, the House was ready to vote on the more generous Senate version as soon passed. But the delay means that the unemployment bill must now compete for floor space with health care legislation. It's not yet clear when they will squeeze it in.
Are you serious? I know I read somewhere that Reid said he has assurances from the House Democrat Leaders that they would accept the bill so long as no other amendments than the current ones were added.
Here is the quote "He has agreement from House Democratic leaders to pass the unemployment extension with the Senate’s modifications listed above"

Wow, crazy isn't it? http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/buffo4.gif (broken link)

Old 11-03-2009, 08:55 PM

348 posts, read 707,323 times
What a perfect picture of a total gluten. Unreal, from bad to worse for use in N.J. To many making money of of cheap labor. I am owed $10,000.00 and the rich Republican still has a company. WHAT A F##K!#& JOKE !!!!! Department of labor HA HA worthless!!! Christie will probably use the money too give him self a raise!!! I getting sick, good night.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:58 PM

41 posts, read 125,582 times
Smile spending

I know this may sound crazy amd most of us are out of cash,but we need to hit them where it really hurts. Meaning, stop buying stuff we don't really need to survive. Only buy food, clothing, and pay only household bills. Give up the cells phones, stop going to the movies. Make this a Xmas Corporate America will never forget. remember this, they want us to beg, but they need us just as much as we need them. We have power too "Spending Power". So when or if we do get it, only spend on the mimium.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:06 PM

That's the ticket! Cut taxes for the already well off!! Worthless pieces of bottom feeder do.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsteward2003 View Post
I know this may sound crazy amd most of us are out of cash,but we need to hit them where it really hurts. Meaning, stop buying stuff we don't really need to survive. Only buy food, clothing, and pay only household bills. Give up the cells phones, stop going to the movies. Make this a Xmas Corporate America will never forget. remember this, they want us to beg, but they need us just as much as we need them. We have power too "Spending Power". So when or if we do get it, only spend on the mimium.
Dude movies what is that? The last movie I saw with family was Disney's "Up" and that was cause my Kids GrandMa treated them.

I haven't taken my wife out to Dinner in so long that McDonald's looks like fine dining to us.

Spend on the minimum? That is the 1st thing I say whenever we go to buy anything. Minimum please, Don't forget just the minimum, Remember, all we need is the minimum.

Look in Webster's for minimum and I am there.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr North Jersey View Post
Dude movies what is that? The last movie I saw with family was Disney's "Up" and that was cause my Kids GrandMa treated them.

I haven't taken my wife out to Dinner in so long that McDonald's looks like fine dining to us.

Spend on the minimum? That is the 1st thing I say whenever we go to buy anything. Minimum please, Don't forget just the minimum, Remember, all we need is the minimum.

Look in Webster's for minimum and I am there.
Oh and btw Up in 3D well let's just say it was not up to par.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:19 PM

138 posts, read 319,179 times
WTF we might not get paid till mid December? That's gonna **** a lot of people over that are already in bad shape. I wont be able to pay my rent next month if that's the case.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:24 PM

Good bye car, electric, phone, heat, roof ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???

Old 11-03-2009, 09:27 PM

138 posts, read 319,179 times
Can't believe they expect someone to live without getting any money for 2 and a half months, and some people even more.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:33 PM

The point is that they do not give a sheeet. Why should they? You really think things got this bad because THEY make decisions based on human compassion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment