Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2009, 10:39 AM

165 posts, read 431,173 times

Advertisements

Hi guys - look, somebody has got to help me: I just ran out of EB yesterday. I live out in Warren County. I was downsized fair and square - no termination issues - no contest (three weeks after burying my mother, get that for misery). Anyhow, I have received no letter from NJ about the extension this week. I called UE yesterday, the lady said wait a few days since there was a holiday. She wouldn't look up my name in the computer like they usually do. Today, I got a letter, dated Nov. 9, saying:

Quote:
Dear ______________
The Department's records indicate that you will soon exhaust your Unemployment Insurance Extended Benefits. Governor Corzine is urging President Obama and the Congress to provide additional weeks of extended benefits to individuals who remain unemployed after exhausting all unemployment benefits. Unfortunately, at this time, no additional Federal or State assistance available to you through Unemployment Insurance.
I understand that this is an extremely difficult time for you and your family. If the Federal government provides any additional extended unemployment benfits in the future, all potentially eligible individuals will be notified by mail.

Signed David ...
It appears this is the standard letter when you run out of EB, right? Though this letter is moot. However, it is dated 11/9. What family? I'm all by myself. Why do they think everybody has a family? This doesn't make sense and it is Saturday, there is nothing I can do till Monday. Has this happened to anyone out there? My guts are twisted, I feel sick, I am going to get so inebriated this weekend. And to make matters worse, I am trying to get my furnace fixed through the State, and they told me that I can't have it fixed till 12/22. No matter, I will have no $ for oil. Yes, I have applied for heat assistance and heard nothing from them as well. So I guess I am going to freeze to death in here. I think somebody upstairs wants me dead. Since unemployment, I have turned into a marginal, expendible person.

I will definitely be at the UE office door bright and early Monday morning. However, it's the weekend - I can't for two whole days. So If anyone else that ran out when I did got this letter or hasn't gotten any extension letters, please tell me, before I drink myself into oblivion. Thanks!!!

Old 11-14-2009, 10:44 AM

33 posts, read 69,003 times
koalabear.. I received the same letter! dated nov 9.. I know that the pres signed a new extension on nov 6th! I run out of EB in 2 weeks! Im hoping it is an oversite since the extension was just signed into law, and that they will send another letter. I am quite freaked out too!

Old 11-14-2009, 11:07 AM

702 posts, read 1,572,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koalabear View Post
Hi guys - look, somebody has got to help me: I just ran out of EB yesterday. I live out in Warren County. I was downsized fair and square - no termination issues - no contest (three weeks after burying my mother, get that for misery). Anyhow, I have received no letter from NJ about the extension this week. I called UE yesterday, the lady said wait a few days since there was a holiday. She wouldn't look up my name in the computer like they usually do. Today, I got a letter, dated Nov. 9, saying:

It appears this is the standard letter when you run out of EB, right? Though this letter is moot. However, it is dated 11/9. What family? I'm all by myself. Why do they think everybody has a family? This doesn't make sense and it is Saturday, there is nothing I can do till Monday. Has this happened to anyone out there? My guts are twisted, I feel sick, I am going to get so inebriated this weekend. And to make matters worse, I am trying to get my furnace fixed through the State, and they told me that I can't have it fixed till 12/22. No matter, I will have no $ for oil. Yes, I have applied for heat assistance and heard nothing from them as well. So I guess I am going to freeze to death in here. I think somebody upstairs wants me dead. Since unemployment, I have turned into a marginal, expendible person.

I will definitely be at the UE office door bright and early Monday morning. However, it's the weekend - I can't for two whole days. So If anyone else that ran out when I did got this letter or hasn't gotten any extension letters, please tell me, before I drink myself into oblivion. Thanks!!!
Koala, you are correct. The letter you got is the standard letter everyone got after exhausting all their benefits and yes most people do have a family they may not always be close but that is besides the point.

The letter UI sent out last week about the new extension was sent to those individuals that had exhausted all their benefits and you at the time was not one of them.

The lady at UI that you called said it best wait a few days you should expect a letter soon.

Oh and btw getting drunk is not going to help but you know this already.

Now you want to do some social drinking and release some stress by having fun that sounds more like a plan. Maybe some bowling or a night of dancing or kicking back at home with some friends and a good movie. Whatever it is you consider fun (that is within the guidelines of the law of course)

Old 11-14-2009, 11:22 AM

348 posts, read 471,009 times
Default Mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramscout View Post
I just got my mail, no letter yet. Maybe Monday.
No letter today, what is this info about a delay?????

Old 11-14-2009, 11:40 AM

33 posts, read 69,003 times
Mr North jersey,

Hi.. so you are saying that the people that exhausted their benefits..say in Oct received a letter about the new extension? and people like me, who will exhaust their benefits soon with in weeks will get that letter soon? I assumed that possibly that was a form letter and maybe the new extension is just to "new" (being just signed on the 6th)? so if I dont get a letter saying Im eligeable (which I should be) I should just go in on my scheduled date and I would be renewed?
Man I swear this economy is just killing me! I just want to work! with my work history I should have gotten a position by now! GRRR theres just to many people going for the few good jobs right now! but you know this..

thanks for your help!
B

Old 11-14-2009, 11:56 AM

10 posts, read 24,938 times
Njquestion: I received the same letter today dated Nov 9th and freaked out as well. My eb runs out in one week. It makes sense about this being the old standard letter to those about to exhaust eb, however the "Nov 9" date of the letter made me nervous given the extension was passed just prior.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:09 PM

84 posts, read 177,846 times
Has anyone in Pennsylvania gotten a letter yet?? I haven't, & having exhausted benefits back in September, am getting a little worried (and skinny!)
burghdood

Old 11-14-2009, 06:26 PM

90 posts, read 189,949 times
Most recent updates from Michigan Dept of Labor....FYI

DELEG - Michigan's Unemployment Insurance Agency to mail instructions for claiming federal extension starting next week

Michigan's Unemployment Insurance Agency to mail instructions for claiming federal extension starting next week
Agency:Energy, Labor & Economic Growth

November 13, 2009 - Next week unemployed Michigan workers who have exhausted all of their unemployment benefits this year will start receiving instructions for claiming the new federal jobless benefit extension.

"The Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) will send letters to some 70,000-80,000 jobless workers who may be eligible for additional federal Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC)," UIA Director Stephen Geskey said today. "It will explain what steps they need to take in order to claim these new benefits."

"We fully expect that these unemployed workers will be able to start contacting our MARVIN system either by phone or online during Thanksgiving week to certify about their eligibility for these federal benefits," he said. "Individuals must contact MARVIN on their regular appointment time and day during the week of November 22."

Since he anticipates the volume of calls to MARVIN will surge from Monday through Wednesday of Thanksgiving week, Geskey reminded that MARVIN is also available by telephone (866-638-3993) and online (UIA - Unemployment Insurance Agency) from 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM on Thursdays and Fridays and from 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM on most Saturdays, even during holidays.

"We fully anticipate that payments will be issued days after the first MARVIN contact," Geskey stated, "but for those individuals, some will receive a single full week payment and some will receive less than a full week's payment. The payment will cover only the additional EUC Tier II.

"After their next MARVIN contact in December, workers will be issued three weeks of payments, covering the first three weeks of EUC Tier III, which is part of the new extension," he explained.

The new EUC extension comes in three parts - Tier II provides up to one full week of federal benefits; Tier III provides up to 13 weeks of federal benefits; and Tier IV provides up to six weeks of federal benefits in high unemployment states, such as Michigan.

Geskey cautioned, however, that all four tiers of the EUC program are due to expire on December 31, 2009. Individuals collecting EUC benefits on December 31 will be able to collect the remaining benefits they are entitled, but they will be unable to move into the next EUC tier.

"Consequently, few unemployed workers in Michigan will actually collect EUC Tier IV benefits," he pointed out, "as most will not exhaust their Tier III benefits before December 31."

Individuals claiming unemployment benefits are required to certify with UIA's MARVIN (Michigan's Automated Response Voice Interactive Network) system every other week in order to receive their biweekly unemployment benefit payment. Through MARVIN, workers confirm that they are unemployed and meet the program's eligibility requirements. They also report any earnings they may have received.

For more information about DELEG, please visit www.michigan.gov/deleg.
Follow DELEG at http://twitter.com/MIDELEGor visit the "DELEG" page on Facebook and Become a Fan.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:29 PM

90 posts, read 189,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burghdood View Post
Has anyone in Pennsylvania gotten a letter yet?? I haven't, & having exhausted benefits back in September, am getting a little worried (and skinny!)
burghdood
LOL...I hope you get your letter soon Burghdood...That was funny!

Old 11-14-2009, 08:29 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,964,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lady2 View Post
Most recent updates from Michigan Dept of Labor....FYI

DELEG - Michigan's Unemployment Insurance Agency to mail instructions for claiming federal extension starting next week

Michigan's Unemployment Insurance Agency to mail instructions for claiming federal extension starting next week

November 13, 2009 - Next week unemployed Michigan workers who have exhausted all of their unemployment benefits this year will start receiving instructions for claiming the new federal jobless benefit extension.

The new EUC extension comes in three parts - Tier II provides up to one full week of federal benefits; Tier III provides up to 13 weeks of federal benefits; and Tier IV provides up to six weeks of federal benefits in high unemployment states, such as Michigan.

Geskey cautioned, however, that all four tiers of the EUC program are due to expire on December 31, 2009. Individuals collecting EUC benefits on December 31 will be able to collect the remaining benefits they are entitled, but they will be unable to move into the next EUC tier.

"Consequently, few unemployed workers in Michigan will actually collect EUC Tier IV benefits," he pointed out, "as most will not exhaust their Tier III benefits before December 31."
In NJ, this works the same as I've been reading for other states, is this correct? So Tier II is 1 week, start Tier III (13 wks) and could go into 2010 with that to finish (I'm assuming), what happens to Tier IV if this expires DEC '09? I've heard about that grandfather thing, not sure how it's going to work. Any ideas?

In NJ, we have only 7 wks in 2009 to collect on the new extension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment