Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2009, 10:59 AM

870 posts, read 1,406,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustygirl View Post
I just got my determination letter too. I wonder why they decided on 14 weeks now instead of 20 (for the higher unemployment percentage states like us)? Maybe the remaining 6 weeks will be another tier? Oh well happy to have it either way. Hopefully i'll have a job by then!
Good luck to everybody and happy Thanksgiving

That is correct, it is for another Tier (IV), but congress first has to extend the deadlines they had 'previously' in place FIRST, which some have said they are aware of and see the urgency in changing that December deadline so that further extensions can be included. So as Dec 19th approaches we should make calls to our congressman to remind them of that CHANGE to the deadline.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:59 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,968,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alltold2 View Post
Right, same here - but don't assume that the next form will not require you to document your work search. When a federal extension is in place i think it is a requirement that you document your work search. We shall see in the coming weeks.

This is not correct, EUC is Federal but does not require a work search like EB.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:01 AM

39 posts, read 61,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
EUC Tier 4 provides up to 6 weeks or 24% of an individual’s maximum benefit amount from their original unemployment insurance claim, whichever amount is less. An individual must exhaust their EUC Tier 3 benefits in order to receive EUC Tier 4 benefits. An individual must exhaust their EUC Tier 3 claim by benefit week ending December 26, 2009, in order to be eligible for EUC Tier 4. EUC Tier 4 is 100% federally funded. Under the new federal legislation, EUC Tier 4 is based on New Jersey averaging an 8.5% UI Trigger rate over a three-month period. It is not payable before November 8, 2009.
This is mathematically impossible unless Congress acts to extend into 2010.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:03 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,492,467 times
My point exactly.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:09 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,968,158 times
I received my certification letter as well. It's for 14 weeks and I have to claim tomorrow, 25th.

EDIT: The determination and certification is all one letter.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Drumroll please!

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Unemployment Benefit Extensions (http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/ui/content/UIExtendedBenefitProgram.html - broken link)

Lots and lots of detail on the site. They explain all the tiers in detail now. Here's an appetizer:

EUC Tier 3 provides up to 13 weeks or 50% of an individual’s maximum benefit amount from their original unemployment insurance claim, whichever amount is less. An individual must exhaust EUC Tier 2 benefits in order to receive EUC Tier 3 benefits. An individual must exhaust their EUC Tier 2 claim by benefit week ending December 26, 2009, in order to be eligible for EUC Tier 3 before the December 31, 2009 expiration date of the EUC program. EUC Tier 3 is 100% federally funded. Under the new federal legislation, EUC Tier 3 is based on New Jersey averaging a 6.0% UI Trigger rate over a three-month period. It is not payable before November 8, 2009.

EUC Tier 4 provides up to 6 weeks or 24% of an individual’s maximum benefit amount from their original unemployment insurance claim, whichever amount is less. An individual must exhaust their EUC Tier 3 benefits in order to receive EUC Tier 4 benefits. An individual must exhaust their EUC Tier 3 claim by benefit week ending December 26, 2009, in order to be eligible for EUC Tier 4. EUC Tier 4 is 100% federally funded. Under the new federal legislation, EUC Tier 4 is based on New Jersey averaging an 8.5% UI Trigger rate over a three-month period. It is not payable before November 8, 2009.

EB Details
EB is currently active in New Jersey effective March 15, 2009.

History: Extended Benefits (EB) is an unemployment insurance extension program that is 50% funded by New Jersey and 50% funded by the federal government. EB pays 13 weeks or 50% of the individual’s maximum benefit amount on their original unemployment insurance claim, whichever amount is less. In order for EB to become active, New Jersey had to have an unemployment insurance rate that averaged 6.0% over a three-month period. New Jersey triggered on EB effective March 15, 2009. In periods of high unemployment, EB can expand to High EB. (See High EB below).
In New Jersey, all EUC benefits must be paid prior to the payment of any EB benefits. Effective February 2009, as part of the stimulus bill, the federal government is funding 100% of EB benefits. This is set to expire January 1, 2010.

FAC Details
History: Federal legislation established the Federal Additional Compensation (FAC) program, which provides an additional $25 benefit payment for any week claimed by an individual who is collecting regular unemployment insurance, EUC benefits (all tiers), EB benefits and TRA benefits. The FAC program was effective February 28, 2009. FAC benefits are issued separately. An individual must have filed a regular unemployment insurance claim as of December 20, 2009, in order to qualify for this weekly additional benefit. If an individual filed their claim December 20, 2009 or earlier, they can continue to collect FAC benefits through July 3, 2010.

So we are saying that if 50% of our maximum is less than the 13 or 14 weeks, than THAT is what we are getting? I don't know what any of you have in terms of your 'maximum', but wouldn't that put most of us at getting less than what the 13 weeks we thought we were getting? 50% I'd think would be 'less' for quite a number of us wouldn't you say? What happened to how this was presented originally, where we were to get 20 weeks total? Even the 1st installment wouldn't be the 14 weeks than if we use the 50% as the lesser of the two. Does anyone else see this adding up to the initial 14 weeks??

Old 11-24-2009, 11:13 AM

516 posts, read 1,352,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBill44 View Post
This is mathematically impossible unless Congress acts to extend into 2010.
Yeah really, it's more like a tease!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-24-2009, 11:13 AM

217 posts, read 389,780 times
Default musi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvette92 View Post
Well, I had a glitch with mine, claimed online but said it couldn't be paid at this time. I called & was on hold for 50 minutes, the woman said she had to send it to Trenton, blah blah, I don't think she really knew what the problem was but I called my job counselor this morning who was able to look at it today and it was noted from yesterday "lift ok for payment", now I don't know if this has been done, or what, the automated system doesn't reflect a payment, and for me to go down to MY office, they direct you to the phones to speak with someone. I wouldn't recommend for everyone to go down to their UI Office, because with some they won't help you in person, but if you received this message you need to contact them, because more than likely it's not going to fix itself.
I understand exactly what your saying but I just recieved my letter in the mail today and at the top it clearly states that benefits are being paid out for the weeks of 11/14/09 and 11/21/09. Which to me means we are all claiming on the rite days of yesterday and today. I really wish there was someone you could speak to in person, because I really don't think that your paperwork had to be sent to trenton, do you think you can call back again and try to talk to someone.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
I received my certification letter as well. It's for 14 weeks and I have to claim tomorrow, 25th.

EDIT: The determination and certification is all one letter.

Is it 14 weeks or the lesser of either 50% of your maximum benefit and 14 weeks. Whichever is less is what I read. Do they tell you that it's 14 weeks?? If you add it up do the 14 weeks add up to MORE than 50% of your maximum??

Old 11-24-2009, 11:18 AM

108 posts, read 243,537 times
heres a question....i'm so confused....i had 4 weeks left of EB....but i claimed today as usual and now they are using the EUC that was just approved....what happens to the 4 weeks left i had on EB?? do they disappear or will it get added back on at the end...this is all so nuts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment