Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2009, 01:39 PM

106 posts, read 278,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilzz View Post
Hey Mr. New Jersey how are you ? I was wondering if you or anyone else for that matter has seen a rebuttal in regards to yesterdays news report from ABC saying that the Senate has come to an agreement and passed bill to extend benefits, Yada Yada Yada. (THIS WAS A FALSE REPORT EVERYONE) Today does seem very slow I really hope H.R.3548 sees floor action today. I am going to have to take my son out of Daycare soon if something doesn't give soon.
Take Care
According to ABC they received there info. yesterday from a "senate insider". Apparently, what they stated about the vote was true at the time they received the information and then Sen Shaheen spoke up and that took there of that. ABC says that they will continue following this story and report more on it this evening and keep as much publicity on it as possible,

Old 10-07-2009, 01:47 PM

354 posts, read 946,970 times
Thank you Thank you. Another user posted something on this I believe last night but I had alot going on and skimmed thru it assuming it was an older quote from the Senator. Cheery-O Mate lol

Old 10-07-2009, 02:06 PM

106 posts, read 278,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilzz View Post
Thank you Thank you. Another user posted something on this I believe last night but I had alot going on and skimmed thru it assuming it was an older quote from the Senator. Cheery-O Mate lol
Lets just hope for the best. If they don't do something soon they will have alot of angry people on there hands because each week that goes by, more people are running out of benefits.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:30 PM

244 posts, read 623,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchick1169 View Post
Lets just hope for the best. If they don't do something soon they will have alot of angry people on there hands because each week that goes by, more people are running out of benefits.
Unfortunately, Senate clearly does not care. They are receiving floods of phone calls and look what it has done so far. It is terrible. They keep promising action and never do anything. Your comment about angry people on their hands is true but its been that way for weeks and they still only focus on topics that they have scheduled. This is starting to get bad. Im wondering if there will even be a vote this week. I certainly hope so. You cant take thier word for things anymore. they keep saying " there wil lbe action tomorrow" or " later today" it has gottena bit rediculous. They know how big of a deal this is but they still brush it off to the side

Old 10-07-2009, 04:03 PM

114 posts, read 248,546 times
Hello all,, I also received 2 blue envelope letters re: benefits are about to expire, njhelps resources etc.. One came during the last week and one today-two weeks after the fact-(who cares?).
What is important is that I continue to recived my tan noticies to to claim benefits (all dollar amounts are zero) two weeks after my benefits have run out.I CONTINUE TO CALL IN! Although the recording says my benefits have expired it also says that this week is being credited. so my point is why not call in??

AS I UNDERSTAND IT:THIS IS MY EXPERIENCE---
I've been speaking to a secretary on the senate side. «refered to s.b. 1647» Monday I was told that an addit. 4 weeks of unemployment compensation were added on to the 13 being planned (17 wks total thank you finance committee)

NOW everything is being handled through Sen Reid's office. Today I was told they are trying to combine bills and get 100% approval before it is sent to the floor. This is becauuse we have senators objecting,,
For the 4th time in two weeks I asked when and was told "soon".

Shall we pay our rent and other bills "soon".

Let's stand united. Please join me in calling Senator Reid:
202-224-3542

thanks,,

Old 10-07-2009, 04:07 PM

244 posts, read 623,133 times
Dsnbreaker,

Thank you very much for that info. It is the best we have received in a while. At least we know what the delays are now.

1 good thing: they are considering 17 weeks

1 bad thing: there are senators opposing

the majority vote will be for this bill and it will pass. it is just a matter of time. I just hope that he people who's EB has expired and are surviving on Ketchup packets can hang in there a little while longer!

Old 10-07-2009, 04:08 PM

114 posts, read 248,546 times
Hello all,, I also received 2 blue envelope letters re: benefits are about to expire, njhelps resources etc.. One came during the last week and one today-two weeks after the fact-(who cares?).
What is important is that I continue to recieved my tan noticies to to claim benefits (all dollar amounts are zero) two weeks after my benefits have run out.I CONTINUE TO CALL IN! Although the recording says my benefits have expired it also says that this week is being credited. so my point is why not call in??

AS I UNDERSTAND IT:THIS IS MY EXPERIENCE---
I've been speaking to a secretary on the senate side. «refered to s.b. 1647» Monday I was told that an addit. 4 weeks of unemployment compensation were added on to the 13 being planned (17 wks total thank you finance committee)

NOW everything is being handled through Sen Reid's office. Today I was told they are trying to combine bills and get 100% approval before it is sent to the floor. This is becauuse we have senators objecting,,
For the 4th time in two weeks I asked when and was told "soon".

Shall we pay our rent and other bills "soon".

Let's stand united. Please join me in calling Senator Reid:
202-224-3542

thanks and good luck everyone,,,

Old 10-07-2009, 04:44 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,996,186 times
Default Questions continue about funding next UI extension

Questions continue about how to fund the next unemployment extension...

Reported this afternoon by Liz Wulgemuth in the onlne edition of US News & World Report Money:

As early as tomorrow, the Senate is expected to begin debating a measure that would provide an extension of unemployment benefits to all states.

The Senate bill was introduced by Sen. Max Baucus of Montana, where the unemployment rate is just 6.6 percent, compared to 9.8 percent nationwide. If Montana looks good, however -- with just a little over 33,000 unemployed workers in September -- keep in mind that the number of unemployed has jumped by 75 percent since the start of the recession.

Baucus would pay for the benefits extension with a tax extension -- pushing the federal unemployment tax through the end of 2011. While many Republicans would likely be resistant to a tax extension, no one in Congress would argue with the need to prevent a greater threat to the economy -- that of 1.5 million Americans exhausting their benefits by the end of the year, as the National Employment Law Project estimates.

One issue with a hiring tax credit, last used in the 1970s, is fraud. Back in January 2009, the Wall Street Journal reported the same proposal had little support from Congress:

"During the campaign in October 2008, Mr. Obama had proposed a tax credit of $3,000 for each new hire made by businesses, in response to mounting job losses. Transition aides were determined to keep that promise in his economic-recovery package, but the proposal has come under strong criticism on Capitol Hill, with many members of Mr. Obama's own party raising concerns about its effectiveness.

Economists of all political stripes have said businesses would likely claim the credit for hires they would have made anyway, or worse, lay off workers simply to rehire them and claim the tax break."

Congress Talks Unemployment Extensions and Hiring Tax Credit - The Inside Job (usnews.com)

Old 10-07-2009, 05:31 PM

259 posts, read 663,547 times
As I've said before this 13-17 week extension is huge. But and the grand scale of things extending all tiers into dec of 2010 is even bigger. Like I've said, the newly unemployed Will most likely not be eligible if all these tiers expire this December.

That's why I think that not only will this extension pass but so will the expiration date being lifted for the previous tiers.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:21 PM

180 posts, read 452,734 times
I hope you are right Chubz; while they do need to pass the 13-17 week extension NOW, they also need to lift the expiration dates to extend into december of 2010 soon...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment