Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2010, 12:25 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,838,511 times

Advertisements

My opinion is that it IS more urgent that the extension and Cobra deadlines be extended than that more weeks are added to tiers or more tiers added to the EUC.

For those who are reaching the end of the extensions - that means anywhere between 79-99 weeks of benefits. The country cannot continue to fund unending weeks of UI no matter what happens with the economy.

For those recently unemployed they are looking at an end to benefits after only 26 weeks. Hence the more urgent consideration of extending the deadlines.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:28 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,974,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Man View Post
Diorgirl, you are too high on yourself it seems. I had written to the topic that I felt was to my interest, you happened to have commented with information that I had wanted to touch on. Secondly, my post to others, if you care to look at them from the past have on numerous occasions had bold type as well. Get over yourself and move on. You seem to be ultra sensitive, let's move on. You're not the center of the universe, and if you come up with something else that may be of interest I will and can respond as I do anyone else I have responded to. Move on from this senseless line of dialogue, there are more important things to type about. Your desire for importance apparently has you stuck without the ability to move on. If you misunderstood my initial comment and you feel I have shaken your perceived status on this blog, I feel for you. In the future, if I desire to emphasize with bold type to you or anyone else, don't let it shake your world.
As usual -- another post with nothing of substance added to subject of the thread. Just more defensive posturing and criticism. Thanks for the lecture -- it is sadly all too revealing about who and what you are. I certainly don't need your validation here or anywhere else. It's apparent from your impression of what "shakes another's world" that it's been a very long time since you've been in the position to do that for anyone! LOL!

Old 02-02-2010, 12:34 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,856,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Man View Post
, you are too high on yourself it seems. I had written to the topic that I felt was to my interest, you happened to have commented with information that I had wanted to touch on. Secondly, my post to others, if you care to look at them from the past have on numerous occasions had bold type as well. Get over yourself and move on. You seem to be ultra sensitive, let's move on. You're not the center of the universe, and if you come up with something else that may be of interest I will and can respond as I do anyone else I have responded to. Move on from this senseless line of dialogue, there are more important things to type about. Your desire for importance apparently has you stuck without the ability to move on. If you misunderstood my initial comment and you feel I have shaken your perceived status on this blog, I feel for you. In the future, if I desire to emphasize with bold type to you or anyone else, don't let it shake your world.
Some people just seem to get really possessive of a thread when they constantly post to it. It's sad isn't it?

Old 02-02-2010, 12:38 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,974,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
My opinion is that it IS more urgent that the extension and Cobra deadlines be extended than that more weeks are added to tiers or more tiers added to the EUC.

For those who are reaching the end of the extensions - that means anywhere between 79-99 weeks of benefits. The country cannot continue to fund unending weeks of UI no matter what happens with the economy.

For those recently unemployed they are looking at an end to benefits after only 26 weeks. Hence the more urgent consideration of extending the deadlines.
This is obviously a very emotional subject for some. But I agree with you, Opyelie -- and I completely understand why the issue of equity of benefits among the jobless is very important.

You will recall that in December, the House recommended extending the cut-offs for EUC Tiers to June 30, 2010; it was the Senate which limited it to only two months -- to February 28, 2010. Looking back, that was surely a signal of the "winding down" of UI extensions, rather than the indefinite continuation.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:51 AM

870 posts, read 1,405,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post

I can see that point. I feel though that the question as to which category is more urgent hopefully is not where it stops being important to try and continue to address the hardships of those that may have been unfortunate to have started earlier in their search but have not had luck yet. It's tough no matter when one has started. If there were funds for the 'banks' and the funds were surrendered for that cause, with many saying over and above what should have been given, than the still unemployed should be just as important to see through the toughest of these times. I do see though that the 'recently' employed need to be a priority. We'll see if there is a way to not discard those that may still be struggling from an earlier start in their employment search. Hopefully, we don't give up on finding out.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:53 AM

870 posts, read 1,405,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Some people just seem to get really possessive of a thread when they constantly post to it. It's sad isn't it?

Agreed.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:40 AM

285 posts, read 561,575 times
So bottom line is, We are screwed! But you know, It's kinda hard to believe that 6 weeks from now 20 million give or take a few either way will be left out in the cold. When you stop and think about it, It's kinda hard to believe that our government will leave 20 million people give or take a little either way with nothing. I'm sure the rest of you know with that many out of work, And another 8 million more or less to follow that is enough to send our country into a recession deeper than the the great depression of the 30's

As long as they keep the money flowing out here to us, The unemployed, Other businesses will keep going. But with that many people out of work and no prospects of work we will hear of more businesses closing. It will get really worse. Right now in the state of Ga the unemployment average is 10.3%. In the county i live in it's already 11.4%. Their have already been some businesses to close. With unemployment being as high as it is here if all unemployment (EUC) payments stop, It will be the death of this county. They say that by 2011 things will be better. All i can say is if that is what they think i hope they come up with a way to keep EUC going till then. I fear if they don't we will go into a great depression again that will take a lot longer than 2011 to come out of it. We may never come out of it.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:33 AM

208 posts, read 552,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAID OFF & WORRIED N GA View Post
So bottom line is, We are screwed! But you know, It's kinda hard to believe that 6 weeks from now 20 million give or take a few either way will be left out in the cold. When you stop and think about it, It's kinda hard to believe that our government will leave 20 million people give or take a little either way with nothing. I'm sure the rest of you know with that many out of work, And another 8 million more or less to follow that is enough to send our country into a recession deeper than the the great depression of the 30's

As long as they keep the money flowing out here to us, The unemployed, Other businesses will keep going. But with that many people out of work and no prospects of work we will hear of more businesses closing. It will get really worse. Right now in the state of Ga the unemployment average is 10.3%. In the county i live in it's already 11.4%. Their have already been some businesses to close. With unemployment being as high as it is here if all unemployment (EUC) payments stop, It will be the death of this county. They say that by 2011 things will be better. All i can say is if that is what they think i hope they come up with a way to keep EUC going till then. I fear if they don't we will go into a great depression again that will take a lot longer than 2011 to come out of it. We may never come out of it.
we are now experiencing the full consequences of globalization...even if companies come up with exciting new products (APPLE, a recent example), they won't be produced here. Welcome to the world of "jobless recovery"

Old 02-02-2010, 08:16 AM

640 posts, read 1,986,772 times
I know there seems to be a concensus that there won't be anything past Tier IV, but there really needs to be. I posted the following in another unemployment thread. I'm posting it here because funds or no funds, those who have been out of unemployment long-term need help past Tier IV. If the government can find the funds to continue military presence in Iraq and Afghanistan, and to bail out Wall Street (some of which has been paid back), then the American people's welfare should hold even greater importance to our government and help should come to those in need here without any problems. Government officials should know what all of you think. Even Pres. Obama has said that being President has taken away his ability to really get the pulse of "Main Street" USA. Congress won't know how bad things are for the unemployed if people don't let them know. So here's the original post:

"I am considred one of the recently unemployed (8/09), I guess.
If Congress considers only extending emergency UI for the recently unemployed, then those unemployed for a while will have nothing left. Doesn't it make sense to our Congressmen that people who have been unemployed the longest are the ones who have had to use up their savings or tap into their retirement accounts? Doesn't it make sense that those people are the ones more likely to have gone through foreclosure or face foreclosure? Have had the embarrassment of having to move in with their children?

I'm all for extending UI, but it should be for all unemployed. What are those who have been unemployed for over a year going to do once cut off from what they need to survive? Welfare does not pay enough to live on.

I just don't get what our government is thinking (even if it's expensive, it's a necessary evil, IMHO) and I'll be letting House members and Senators know. It is SO EASY TO DO through Unemployed Workers Home . You don't have to use the form letter they have set up. I urge everyone to let ALL Senators know your personal story, what you've had to give up, how your children have been impacted, etc. I have read on these threads that personal stories are wanted from us in order for Congress to get a better handle on what's really going on in Main Street, USA. Please click on the link and ask for all unemployed workers to have their benefits extended and explain why. It only takes a few minutes...

Also, there is a poster on one of these forums, Trucker something, and he wrote that he personally called every Senator, not just his Senators. If you have the time, please try to do this also. I have to find a list of numbers and will be calling next week. Two people calling will not make a difference; twenty thousand calls might make a difference, 2 million calls just can't be ignored, IMHO.

You don't have to be unemployed to write or call Senators. Get friends and relatives in on this project. Divvy up the calls to different people, send snail mail letters, anything that will help. And do it more than once; call/write often."

Addendum: I've seen what unemployment has done to my husband (he's not working due to a work injury last year and if fighting to get authorization to return to work). It's like he's been castrated. He feels useless, less than a man. How in the world can we remain the most powerful nation in the world if millions of unemployed feel like he does and then have to end up with no money to help them buy healthy food to feed their families or to pay the electric bills? Will they have to resort to eating cat food? (I'm not kidding--I've already known people in retirement that have had to resort to that because Soc.Sec. didn't give them enough to live on). My husband, and millions of others need to know our government has there backs, and cutting off unemployment from long-term unemployed will only make things worse in this country, IMHO.

I've found lists of contact numbers/emails since that post, for those who are interested. Remember, personal stories of your struggles are important for them to hear.

Proper protocol for communicating with Congress(how to most effectively get your message across--read this first): Office of the Clerk of the U.S. House of Representatives Member Telephone Directory

Contact numbers: Senate: U.S. Senate: Senators Home . It also includes emails, I think. I once tried emailing Senators who are not from my state (through) NELP and got some email replies saying I should only contact my Senators. But I don't care. The emails got through and some of them were read.

House: Office of the Clerk of the U.S. House of Representatives Member Telephone Directory . Only phone numbers, unfortunately. There must be a list of email addresses, but I didn't find it.

Last edited by Jane0218; 02-02-2010 at 08:25 AM..

Old 02-02-2010, 08:24 AM

84 posts, read 177,718 times
Default Happy Ground Hog's Day!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodywantsme View Post
we are now experiencing the full consequences of globalization...even if companies come up with exciting new products (APPLE, a recent example), they won't be produced here. Welcome to the world of "jobless recovery"

It's been a slow slog to get to where we are. I can remember as a kid, if I wanted anything, like a new bike, I'd work for it (& I'd be proud! My dad worked seasonally, even back then, work wasn,t so great). To get a good route, we'd pay off a friend who had a good one sometimes & you coud do it before school. After saving for a few months, I'll never forget going to the local Sears to look at the new 3 speed Schwinns. Scrutinizing it,you could see EVERY PIECE WAS MADE IN THE USA! i MEAN, THE SEATS, TIRES, CALIPERS, WHEELS GEARS, EVERYTHING! lOOKING AROUND AT THE SEARS GOODS, IT WAS ALL USA STUFF!! Sometimes you'd see "made in japan" signs on transistor radios & it was cool , they were good items. OH yea, my sister worked at Sears too-there were jobs around for whover had to or wanted to work, the level depended on your energy or skills (see MAD MEN the TV series to get a feel for that era.
WE KINDA TOOK THAT ERA FOR GRANTED! Everything made sense & the economy hummed along.
Now NOTHING IS BEING MADE HERE ANYMORE!!!! Almost nothing anyways.
Even paper routes are done by adults who can't find "real" work.
With Globalization & cheap workers & easily transferred technology & robotics, can't see how we can EVER get back to "FULL EMPLOYMENT"!!!!
CAN YOU?
They can't keep paying Unemp. Bens. forever either.
We might have to return to farming!! (glad I got all that off my chest-whew!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment