Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 03:25 PM

25,600 posts, read 56,632,591 times

Advertisements

Wannabee, in the case of EB, isn't it more a case of keeping your claim active in the system in the event new legislation reinstates 100% funding of EB, especially if there is only a one or two week lapse?

How did CA handle it when they went off EB (FED-ED) in June? I remember a big discussion on people not getting their payments for a long time and/or CA paying in installments, so to speak.

In any event, NJGoer has exhausted everything - all 99 weeks, so there is nothing to claim at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 03:46 PM

47 posts, read 158,353 times
Thanks for the reply. Sorry it sounded confusing, it's just tough for me to get out what I'm trying to say as I don't really understand what is really happening here.

I heard on the news the White House wants to extend benefits even longer to those who have been on the longest. I assume that would include someone like myself who has been on ueb for 99weeks in which have expired last week.

So am I looked at a bill being passed to extend benefits for someone like myself? Or is this talk of extending benefits for others?

Old 12-03-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njgoer View Post
So am I looked at a bill being passed to extend benefits for someone like myself? Or is this talk of extending benefits for others?
Although there may be discussion of additional benefits for the 99ers, it appears a somewhat remote possibility--however, anything is possible. There are lots of twists and turns/ups and downs before final passage. Last time unemployment legislation expired, it was 7 weeks before an extension was passed. Funding all of this is a big problem.

Easier to do will be an extension of the existing four tiers and, possibly, EB, although they may sacrifice an extension of EB in exchange for another Tier for the 99ers, instead. Anybody's guess.

We have a thread on this board dealing with all the rumored discussions of the different pieces of proposed legislation. Best to check that regularly - in particular posts from diorgirl - to find out what's what.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...to-2011-a.html

Old 12-03-2010, 04:37 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Wannabee, in the case of EB, isn't it more a case of keeping your claim active in the system in the event new legislation reinstates 100% funding of EB, especially if there is only a one or two week lapse?

How did CA handle it when they went off EB (FED-ED) in June? I remember a big discussion on people not getting their payments for a long time and/or CA paying in installments, so to speak.

In any event, NJGoer has exhausted everything - all 99 weeks, so there is nothing to claim at this point.
I could see that working for any of the EUC Tiers. Certify, get credit, rinse and repeat every two weeks, then get paid at a later date if they extend the eligibility dates and make it retroactive. I think with the additional EB paperwork required - it would be a mess to make it retroactive -JMO. I don't know how CA handled EB in June. If I had run out of benefits at this point in time I would continue to certify for as long as the system accepts my certification. No harm, no foul.

Yes, NJGoer has exhausted everything. Nothing short of a Tier V or additional weeks added to the current Tiers would provide any more benefits to any 99er.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:47 PM

Thank you for the replies.

So than...what is this talk about a year extension to unemployment benefits? They bill passes...a year extension is honored, to whom? Not those like myself? This is what I am not understand...?

Old 12-03-2010, 06:50 PM

Oh I see, I think this bill is being passed for those who fell short of reaching another Tier and have not hit anywhere close to 99weeks?

Old 12-03-2010, 07:47 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,490,585 times
Quote:
Oh I see, I think this bill is being passed for those who fell short of reaching another Tier and have not hit anywhere close to 99weeks?
What the bill does is extend the application date to enter the EUC Tier system or to move from Tier to Tier as it does now (until it expired).

If you exhausted State Benefits on Saturday, November 20, you automatically started EUC Tier I on Sunday, November 21.

If you exhausted an EUC Tier on Saturday, November 27, you automatically started the next EUC Tier on Sunday, November 28.

What the bill will do is alter the information I have bolded in red to an unknown date sometime in the future.

The date you exhaust is not the same as your certification date.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
So than...what is this talk about a year extension to unemployment benefits? They bill passes...a year extension is honored, to whom? Not those like myself? This is what I am not understand...?
Quote:
I would suggest for now you disregard anything you read or hear on the news until it is actually enacted. Proposals and discussions are just that - talk. It is a matter of negotiation and whatever is out there right now is a starting point - not an end point - in these negotations.

Also, the final legislation may include something for the 99ers or it may not - so you can't rule that out at this point, either. Unlikely as it may be.

Again, we have a thread on this board dealing with all the rumored discussions of the several pieces of proposed legislation. Best to check that regularly - in particular posts from diorgirl - to find out what's what.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...to-2011-a.html

Old 12-04-2010, 09:19 AM

Thanks for clearing things up for me everyone : ) Reps to all!!!

I'll frequent the thread you posted Ariad as that seems to be more focused towards the current situation!

Old 12-11-2010, 06:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,696 times
Unhappy Very confused! In Tier 2..and would not let me claim

I've been collecting UE for about 55 weeks since Nov of 09. I'm currently collecting Tier 2 EB. I went to claim my benefits like normal the other day and it stated that I may not be eligible. I received a non negotiable check in the mail today stating that previous weeks are pending.

Does anyone have an idea why this happened?? What should I do?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment