Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 01:36 PM

25,604 posts, read 56,686,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyRNYC View Post
Thank you very much for the quick reply. I assumed they only factor 2010 W2's because that is all that I forwarded to them when I originally made my claim.

So basically I have 2 options. 1) If a bill gets passed soon, I will be eligible for tier 1 EUC..which can last up to 20 weeks.

2) Call NJ and find out what to do.
Yes, to #1 and #2.

On your wages, fyi, the NJ system has access to all reported earnings for you and would have used that information in determining your benefit, not just the 2010 info you sent them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 02:54 PM

15 posts, read 26,144 times
Is there any word at all of a bill being passed before mid-January

Old 11-30-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Is there any word at all of a bill being passed before mid-January
All talk at this point. Couple of threads on this board discussing that subject now.

Should it reach the point where your benefits are exhausted, KEEP CLAIMING. When an extension is passed, you should be paid retroactively. It is much easier for the states to pay people if their claims are current in the system.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:27 PM

21 posts, read 55,418 times
A quick question about NJ EB benefits. I'm on tier 3 right now. It expires in January. Provided there's no further extension, is NJ EB still in effect? I understand it's been funded 100% until today when it reverts back to 50% state/50% fed funding. I ask because the current news stories (I read one on the Star-Ledger site) indicates that new filers will be limited to 26 weeks if no extension is passed, but I thought EB was mandated by state law based on the unemployment figures being at a certain number. has the law been changed? The UI website indicated EB is unchanged. Anyone know for sure or have any experience with receiving the EB benefits? Thanks much.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:35 PM

15 posts, read 26,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
All talk at this point. Couple of threads on this board discussing that subject now.

Should it reach the point where your benefits are exhausted, KEEP CLAIMING. When an extension is passed, you should be paid retroactively. It is much easier for the states to pay people if their claims are current in the system.

What do you mean keep claiming? Do you mean log in and fill out the form on njufile.net as if I were going to claim like any other week?

Old 11-30-2010, 06:36 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,995,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudemanbro View Post
A quick question about NJ EB benefits. I'm on tier 3 right now. It expires in January. Provided there's no further extension, is NJ EB still in effect? I understand it's been funded 100% until today when it reverts back to 50% state/50% fed funding. I ask because the current news stories (I read one on the Star-Ledger site) indicates that new filers will be limited to 26 weeks if no extension is passed, but I thought EB was mandated by state law based on the unemployment figures being at a certain number. has the law been changed? The UI website indicated EB is unchanged. Anyone know for sure or have any experience with receiving the EB benefits? Thanks much.
I know the Star Ledger article to which you are referring:
http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2010/11/nj_unemployment_benefits_reduc/2765/comments-newest.html

It is absolutely incorrect about NJ EB. I have posted a correction in the comments sections, and have contacted the editors to correct the text.

NJ unemployment benefits WILL NOT be reduced to 26 weeks. In addition to the 26 weeks of regular benefits, NJ will continue to pay up to 20 weeks of EB. When the 100% federal funding for EB expires tomorrow, the funding formula reverts to the traditional 50% federal/50% state.

NJ state law requires that NJ continue to pay EB as long as the state's three-month average unemployment rate triggers those benefits -- regardless of the source of funding. Since NJ's unemployment rate continues to trigger EB, NJ must continue to pay EB, even if it means the state must assume 50% of the cost.

NJ is one of about 10 states who will continue to pay EB after 100% federal funding expires. That means that contrary to the misstatement in this article, NJ will pay up to 46 weeks of benefits -- not 26 weeks of benefits.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:50 PM

Thank you for the reply! I hadn't heard or read anything about any changes to the NJ EB system so that story was a bit baffling. Badly written and full of mis-info. But I guess it generates comments and that's what it's all about :0 thx again.

Last edited by dudemanbro; 11-30-2010 at 07:00 PM..

Old 11-30-2010, 07:00 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,995,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudemanbro View Post
Thank you for the reply! I hadn't heard or read anything about any changes to the NJ EB system so that story was a bit baffling.
It's just unfortunate that on an issue as sensitive as unemployment benefits a reporter apparently cannot be bothered to research thoroughly the subject on which she is reporting.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:49 PM

Well, I check up on the NJ UI website regularly and they keep it fairly-well updated, so I was wondering if maybe I'd somehow missed something lol. It's a terribly irresponsible story that's going to fuel a lot of confusion tomorrow morning.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
What do you mean keep claiming? Do you mean log in and fill out the form on njufile.net as if I were going to claim like any other week?
Absolutely. If the system allows you to claim, do so. In WI, we are told to continue to claim even if legislation has expired.

Further good info:
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Retroactive payments in such a case are generally made when two conditions are met:
(1) Congress makes the extensions retroactive - In order for federal unemployment benefits to be paid retroactively, Congress has to pass legislation that makes the extensions retroactive to their last expiration date. While there is no guarantee that will be the case with another extension, to date Congress has never extended the existing federal unemployment benefits without making them retroactive to the date when they expired.

(2) Continuing certification - When extensions by Congress are generally expected but just delayed, many states will allow those who have exhausted one level of benefits -- and who would normally be eligible for the next level -- to continue to certify. That means you would still file every week or every two weeks (whatever is the standard in your state). You would receive credit for those weeks of unemployment, and when the benefits are extended, you will be paid retroactively for those weeks. If you have not certified in the weeks during the gap in payments, you cannot be paid for those weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment