Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 03:06 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njgoer View Post
diorgirl...thank you so much for your informative response!

All of this has never been to clear to me so, I apologize for not being on board with all the above.

I do in fact reside in NewJersey and it looks to be as if my 99weeks are coming to an end. You then mentioned NJ continues to provide EB after the 99weeks are exhausted. The state reverts to the 50/50 formula...do you mind elaborating on what exactly this means. Thank you so much!
That's pretty much what I told you as well. And no your 99 weeks are it. 99 weeks includes your EB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 05:42 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,974,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njgoer View Post
I do in fact reside in NewJersey and it looks to be as if my 99weeks are coming to an end. You then mentioned NJ continues to provide EB after the 99weeks are exhausted. The state reverts to the 50/50 formula...do you mind elaborating on what exactly this means. Thank you so much!
If you do the addition of the number of weeks in each level of unemployment benefits I listed, you will see that the 20 weeks of EB and High EB combined are included in the total of 99 weeks. At this time, there are no benefits beyond the 99 weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
The maximum number of weeks of unemployment benefits which is currently available is 99:
• Regular benefits
- up to 26 weeks
• EUC Tier I
- up to 20 weeks
• EUC Tier II
- up to 14 weeks
• EUC Tier III
- up to 13 weeks (state must have a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 6%).
• EUC Tier IV - up to 6 weeks (state must have a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 8.5%).
• EB - up to 13 weeks (state must have a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 6%).
• High EB - up to an additional 7 weeks (state must have a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 8%).

The unemployment rate triggers for EB can vary from state to state. However, most states opt for the three-month average unemployment rate triggers listed above. In addition, most states discontinue EB when the 100% federal funding expires for EB, and the funding formula reverts to the traditional split of 50% federal/50% state.
Some of the unemployment benefits are paid for by your state, some by the federal government, some by a combination of federal and state funding.

Regular unemployment benefits are paid by the state from an unemployment insurance fund contributed to by employers in all states and also by employees in three states.

The EUC Tiers are funded 100% by the federal government in all states.

EB is traditionally funded by a split of federal and state funds (50%/50%). As part of the stimulus enacted last year, the federal government assumed 100% funding of EB for a limited time. That complete funding has been renewed each time the eligibility cut-off dates for the EUC Tiers were extended. The latest legislation extends 100% federal funding of EB through the beginning of December 2010. When that expires, the funding for EB reverts to the 50%/50% split.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:48 PM

4 posts, read 9,756 times
am about to exhaust regular benefits and will hopefully be eligible for tier 1..what is the required proof needed to show you have been looking for work and have not turned down any work?

Old 11-01-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyjo View Post
am about to exhaust regular benefits and will hopefully be eligible for tier 1..what is the required proof needed to show you have been looking for work and have not turned down any work?
In NJ you are expected to keep a record of your job search, including the names and addresses of the companies you contact and any responses you have received. You can be audited at any time while you are collecting unemployment benefits, and asked to produce evidence of your job search.

However, NJ UI requires that you regularly report your job search contacts only for EB. Formal reports of job searches to NJ UI are not required during the period you collect regular benefits or while you are collecting Tiers I, II, III, or IV.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:42 PM

thank you so much for your quick response! maybe you can help with this next question..my last day to call for my claim for regular benefits is nov 29th..will i qualify for tier 1? and will there be interupption of payment?

Old 11-01-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
thank you so much for your quick response! maybe you can help with this next question..my last day to call for my claim for regular benefits is nov 29th..will i qualify for tier 1? and will there be interupption of payment?
Unfortunately, you must exhaust regular benefits no later than Saturday, November 20, as Sunday, November 21, is the last day you can start Tier I. If you are scheduled to call for the last of your regular benefits on Monday, November 29, that means you exhaust your regular benefits on Saturday, November 27 -- one week past the Tier I eligibility cut-off date.

The eligibility cut-off date for moving from regular benefits to Tier I is always one week earlier than the cut-off date to move from one Tier to the next Tier.

If Congress does not extend the current eligibility cut-off dates for the EUC Tiers in time for you to qualify for Tier I, you may qualify for EB in New Jersey. NJ UI will automatically notify you if you are eligible for EB. If there is any delay in starting EB, your payments will be retroactive to the date when you exhausted regular benefits.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:56 PM

Is extending the dates something Congress is currently working on?

Old 11-03-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Is extending the dates something Congress is currently working on?
Congress is currently in recess, but they will convene in mid-November for a few weeks before adjourning for the year.

Extending the eligibility cut-off dates is expected to be among the issues addressed during that period, but as of today no one really knows how far Congress will get with actually passing legislation to extend the dates. There are a lot of issues competing for their attention in a relatively short timespan.

We'll probably have a better idea after they actually reconvene.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:00 AM

50 posts, read 240,544 times
any updates people ? Im currently in a similar boat, bad timing. I started my claim May 23rd, 2010 and now my benefits will run out just beyond the Nov 21, 2010 cutoff for tier1 benefits. To me this is BS !!! I collect my 26 weeks and now I will be turned back while the unemployment levels here in NJ are still sky high. I have worked my whole life, Im 36, and now that myself & my family are in need of help I will be turned away?? What about those EB benefits, I read those go away too, is that true? Will I be able to open a new claim or once you roll thru the 26wks your outta luck? I find this hard to believe that there are NO EXTENSIONS FOR ME !!

any help/news is appreciated ..

Sincerely,
Worried in NJ

Old 11-08-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace7 View Post
any updates people ? Im currently in a similar boat, bad timing. I started my claim May 23rd, 2010 and now my benefits will run out just beyond the Nov 21, 2010 cutoff for tier1 benefits. To me this is BS !!! I collect my 26 weeks and now I will be turned back while the unemployment levels here in NJ are still sky high. I have worked my whole life, Im 36, and now that myself & my family are in need of help I will be turned away?? What about those EB benefits, I read those go away too, is that true? Will I be able to open a new claim or once you roll thru the 26wks your outta luck? I find this hard to believe that there are NO EXTENSIONS FOR ME !!

any help/news is appreciated ..

Sincerely,
Worried in NJ
Congress is still in recess and will not reconvene a lame-duck session until next week. In the meantime, there has been no news on their plans to extend the EUC Tiers or the 100% federal funding of EB when they return.

However, New Jersey only requires that the state meet the three-month average unemployment rates that trigger EB; it does not require 100% federal funding to continue to provide EB. So even if the current legislation is not extended, you may be eligible for EB (up to 20 more weeks of benefits) when you exhaust your regular benefits. As noted in an earlier post here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Unfortunately, you must exhaust regular benefits no later than Saturday, November 20, as Sunday, November 21, is the last day you can start Tier I. If you are scheduled to call for the last of your regular benefits on Monday, November 29, that means you exhaust your regular benefits on Saturday, November 27 -- one week past the Tier I eligibility cut-off date.

The eligibility cut-off date for moving from regular benefits to Tier I is always one week earlier than the cut-off date to move from one Tier to the next Tier.

If Congress does not extend the current eligibility cut-off dates for the EUC Tiers in time for you to qualify for Tier I, you may qualify for EB in New Jersey. NJ UI will automatically notify you if you are eligible for EB. If there is any delay in starting EB, your payments will be retroactive to the date when you exhausted regular benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment