Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 05:00 AM

160 posts, read 375,570 times

Advertisements

I actually heard someone at my "employment re-orientation" class say, "Why do I have to be here...I don't want to work". As if job-hunting is interrupting a 99-week vacation or something. I've also overheard people make comments like, "I have it good right now, I wouldn't want to go back if they called me tomorrow".

People like this only reinforce the negative stereotypes of the unemployed....and add to the stress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 07:51 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
that idea of relocation is a bit of a joke, especially for some. Ok you have a home, how the hell do you sell it quick in this terrible market?? I mean where I live the inventory is sky high and even the ones priced to go are not moving!!! So please if you rent thats one thing. How about if your spouse has a good job? Or you have a parent who is like mine 80 years old. THis point some can not consider.
It is harder for some to move than others and obviously if someone has a spouse with a good job, they really don't HAVE to pick up and relocate. For many the best choice would be to cut back and living on one income, moving wouldn't benefit.

I don't see what age 80 would have to do with anything though, I have an 80 year old relative that just moved south for the weather but plans to go back and forth, there is no age cut off for relocating.

It obviously is easier for some and not so easy for others to relocate and it requires someone to adapt.

Unless you see jobs coming back to your area however, I don't see how remaining unemployed would be the answer especially if you believe that government provided unemployment handouts may not last indefinitely.

I guess it's just about weighing all the possibilities and the pros and cons. If you believe there will be jobs in the near future around the corner from where you are, then wait for them. If you are on your 98th month of unemployment, and the checks they send suit you, and believe with all your heart that they'll go on extending unemployment, then that's your answer - and I think the government most likely will go on providing. It will be the day something outside it's control stops them that they'll stop borrowing and spending. Then it will be time for Plan B.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:43 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,637,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
unemployment handouts may not last indefinitely.
Why do you incorrectly characterize unemployment benefits as a so-called “handout”? There is obviously some negative social stigma that you want to associate and upset those receiving unemployment benefits with.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:45 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,657,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Why do you incorrectly characterize unemployment benefits as a so-called “handout”? There is obviously some negative social stigma that you want to associate and upset those receiving unemployment benefits with.
Its obvious Mal. doesn't like people getting assistance because he is not getting it. Ive offered to take his job over and he can take my UI over but get no response. I want a job that will pay my bills as most here want but for some reason he thinks no one here wants a job.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:32 PM

149 posts, read 345,066 times
Government Handouts are you kidding me.

There are million's of people out of work. The private sector is NOT HIRING....

So to anyone who is quick to down grade all unemployed people who are just trying TO SURVIVE. Survive with a roof over our heads, keep the family feed and the bills paid on time.

I strongly suggest to anyone who is always quick to down grade our situation, keep your negative downgrading comments to yourselves.

EITHER.....Get a life...OR help us with some Job opening notices.

To all unemployed people I did post a thread about a Career Fair next tuesday in Somerset. The commute is worth a good job.

GOOD LUCK.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:32 PM

348 posts, read 707,265 times
I am jealous of everyone with a job!! Working beats looking for work every time.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROCKEN IN N.J. View Post
I am jealous of everyone with a job!! Working beats looking for work every time.
I know that's right...

keep on looking.

I am going to that job fair on tuesday. I don't care if I have to commute 30 minutes to an hour each day for a good job.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,585 times
Well they really help the long term unemployed yesterday 4.15.10. The wording again was just a bunch of BS or I just totally do not understand them. There is No tier V only an extension for others to continue which is great for them. What do they think is going to happen when several thousands of people are living in the streets? Maybe we should stand on the street corners and beg for money (infront of the White House). Some people are living in there cars, I have seen them and it scares me.

To all of the people who bash the unemployed "you have know idea". I have lost everything and I am in my late 40's and I can not afford to file for bankruptcy. There are no jobs to be found not even at Walmart.

We need jobs and we need them now, we need industries, wall street shows our economy is growing wtf, but there are no jobs, so explain that, oh it must be the rich business owners are making money off of the poor slave labor of foriegn countries, I really think that this is what they want to do to us, make us a third world country and here we sit letting them. When are we going to say this is enough and is there not anyone or anything out there that can start making towels, socks, shoes, steel, fabrics, toys again. I saw all the mills in SC close down and the furniture companies in NC (most) shut down and our companies are just gone like the wind, who's brite idea was that anyway?

Regardless who is a demo or a repub, we need to get rid of the lot of them and bring in some new blood and keep them in check, I hope everyone is keeping there eyes and ears open now and I hope we have all learned not to trust any politician, they are just in it for the money and not for us the people.

I know I am just going on and on, but I am very frustrated with the way things are today.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jul's View Post
Well they really help the long term unemployed yesterday 4.15.10. The wording again was just a bunch of BS or I just totally do not understand them. There is No tier V only an extension for others to continue which is great for them. What do they think is going to happen when several thousands of people are living in the streets? Maybe we should stand on the street corners and beg for money (infront of the White House). Some people are living in there cars, I have seen them and it scares me.

To all of the people who bash the unemployed "you have know idea". I have lost everything and I am in my late 40's and I can not afford to file for bankruptcy. There are no jobs to be found not even at Walmart.

We need jobs and we need them now, we need industries, wall street shows our economy is growing wtf, but there are no jobs, so explain that, oh it must be the rich business owners are making money off of the poor slave labor of foriegn countries, I really think that this is what they want to do to us, make us a third world country and here we sit letting them. When are we going to say this is enough and is there not anyone or anything out there that can start making towels, socks, shoes, steel, fabrics, toys again. I saw all the mills in SC close down and the furniture companies in NC (most) shut down and our companies are just gone like the wind, who's brite idea was that anyway?

Regardless who is a demo or a repub, we need to get rid of the lot of them and bring in some new blood and keep them in check, I hope everyone is keeping there eyes and ears open now and I hope we have all learned not to trust any politician, they are just in it for the money and not for us the people.

I know I am just going on and on, but I am very frustrated with the way things are today.
Your not the only one frustrated. But, I feel casting another vote for another lousy heartless politician is hazardous to my health.

But, I do hope every single congressional pinhead is out of a job in November. I want every one to have to rely on the Unemployment nightmare to survive. All of them have to see their once certain lifestyle slowly wither away.

Good luck. Keep on looking.

If your in New Jersey, I posted 2 job fairs threads, somerset and parsippany.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,803 times
Some news. I emailed Senator Casey - PA and received a response back today. Notice the sentence in bold and underlined. Here's the response:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding unemployment insurance. I appreciate hearing from you about this issue.

This is a time of great economic uncertainty in our Nation's history. For many families in Pennsylvania and throughout the country, the recession has been source of severe hardship for many months. As of February, the unemployment rate in our Commonwealth was at 8.9%, which represents 577,000 people out of work.

To respond to their needs Congress passed, and President Obama signed into law, the Continuing Extension Act of 2010 (H.R. 4851), which funds eligibility for both unemployment through June 2, 2010, and COBRA benefits through May 31, 2010. This extension will provide continued assistance to those looking for work and allow those individuals much-needed peace of mind during trying times.

I understand that some Pennsylvanians will exhaust their benefits under the Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) program prior to end of the year. As of now, I am not aware of any plans to create additional tiers of federal benefits. I would note that there are extension programs through the state, which may qualify some for additional benefits. I encourage all of those who find themselves in this situation to contact the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry to learn more about the unemployment insurance programs. The Department of Labor and Industry can be reached at (888) 313-7284.
In addition, if you or someone you know will exhaust their unemployment benefits in the near future, please do not hesitate to contact my Harrisburg office by calling (717) 231-7540 or by sending an email to Robert P. Casey Jr. | United States Senator for Pennsylvania: Constituent Services - Help with a Federal Agency (http://casey.senate.gov/constituents/casework/ - broken link). My Harrisburg office is located at 22 S. Third Street, Suite 6A, Harrisburg, PA 17101.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other matter of importance to you.

If you have access to the Internet, I encourage you to visit my web site, Robert P. Casey Jr. | United States Senator for Pennsylvania: Home. I invite you to use this online office as a comprehensive resource to stay up-to-date on my work in Washington, request assistance from my office or share with me your thoughts on the issues that matter most to you and to Pennsylvania.

Sincerely,
Bob Casey
United States Senator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment