Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 03:07 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniranj View Post
It is interesting that you mentioned snoring here. I am a smoker and naturally most if not all smokers have restricted respiration. I noticed that seconds before onset of sleep, the snoring process starts and coincidentally, the "bang" follows. I wonder if there is a connection between restricted blood flow to the brain, blockage of the nasal passages and the brain interpreting the sounds made due to blockage as different EHS sounds...
My wife suffers from asthma - so she has or could have a restricted blood flow to the brain. She usually associated her exploding head syndrome with stress. However, stress aggravates her asthma. There could be cause and effect at play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 10:19 AM

1,289 posts, read 722,793 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwZgGyWniBE

Old 04-02-2015, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 821 times
I am certain the person(s) who named this mind blowing event the "Exploding Head Syndrome" has not personally experienced such an episode and likely chose a word ("exploding") that was thought best to describe the condition ("syndrome") based on details of which the majority of individuals claimed to have experienced. Continue reading as i explain in detail my experience(s). Each and every episode has been the same except for maybe the duration in which one lasted, giving or taking a minute or so. After a handful of episodes one very noiticable detail was made apparent.... This only occured when my body was phsically tired and my brain was wide awake. If i lay down to try and sleep almost immediately after i closed my eyes and began to relax, i was "trapped" unable to move, literally paralyzed from head to toe. Then comes the sound of distorted airwaves in my head that grow louder and louder so intense the only thing left for my brain to do was blow. I would struggle to move, yell,breathe, open my eyes, anything but i was powerless. i was awake the entire time in fact i never fell asleep to begin with. How could i not think my concious mind to open my own eyes if i was awake? As sudden as it occured it also ended. My sleeping habits were afttected to the extenet that waking up with my shoes still on became the norm for me. Never has this taken place when i have fallen asleep with both my physical body and mental mind at an equal exaustion level,NEVER.= Details consistent with ALL of my many,quite frequent past personal experiences--> Mass Inner Cranial Overload = unspecified, distorted, frequency-like noise continuing repeditively at a high to low, high to low (systolic/diostolic) rythum in sound and quickly increases to an intense level in volume also believed to cause the affected mind to think it feels pressure/swelling to the point of exploding. Occuring at specific point of creation, inside of the head/brain.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:48 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
That is what I was saying in post #60. We are all human and individuals. We experience these natural changes in our bodies differently and we try to explain these changes with our available knowledge/mindset.

If my wife had not gone through the vitreous sac detachment one year before me; I could have had a different interpretation of this natural aging change. Most people will experience this change in their later years.

I think that disturbances in our visual input causes a lot of odd brain phenomenon that we are very far away from figuring out, especially since not many people even notice any correlation.

When I did psych evaluations in the ER, I would see a lot of people over 50 having vision problems and/or recent vision operations come in with audio or visual hallucinations. I saw it too often for it to be a fluke and i really wish I kept stats. A lot were admitted to psych because a doc refused to send them home. I'm not sure this was the best place or it helped at all. Maybe some med resident or psych student will come across this and consider it for their thesis.

I have vision problems myself so I was probably more aware of these patients than the average evaluator would be. My floaters are so bad that I've caught myself being startled by them about once a year if i get extremely stressed.

As for the EHS, I have a sleep disorder and take different meds to wake me up. I've found that when I take Wellbutrin and fall back to sleep, I usually wake up with a "bang" often the same nightmare that someone is shooting me in the head. This only sometimes happens. But if I take Wellbutrin AND it is sunny out, it almost always happens.

I'm guessing sunlight raises cortisol because it's one of the few things that helps me wake up. I think I'll look into that.....

Old 04-04-2015, 06:18 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I think that disturbances in our visual input causes a lot of odd brain phenomenon that we are very far away from figuring out, especially since not many people even notice any correlation.

When I did psych evaluations in the ER, I would see a lot of people over 50 having vision problems and/or recent vision operations come in with audio or visual hallucinations. I saw it too often for it to be a fluke and i really wish I kept stats. A lot were admitted to psych because a doc refused to send them home. I'm not sure this was the best place or it helped at all. Maybe some med resident or psych student will come across this and consider it for their thesis.

I have vision problems myself so I was probably more aware of these patients than the average evaluator would be. My floaters are so bad that I've caught myself being startled by them about once a year if i get extremely stressed.

As for the EHS, I have a sleep disorder and take different meds to wake me up. I've found that when I take Wellbutrin and fall back to sleep, I usually wake up with a "bang" often the same nightmare that someone is shooting me in the head. This only sometimes happens. But if I take Wellbutrin AND it is sunny out, it almost always happens.

I'm guessing sunlight raises cortisol because it's one of the few things that helps me wake up. I think I'll look into that.....
First, thank you! And, yes, this would be an interesting study. Now my wife has not complained of EHS for several months. It could be that she has adapted to the 'new' floaters associated with her vitreous sac detachment? Or maybe it was a change in medication? That is where studies could help. The more we understand problems like EHS; the better chance we have of preventing it from happening or, at least, maybe we could understand the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal