Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 08:09 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times

Advertisements

When I've experienced this, I've attributed it to muscle spasms associated with coming out of REM sleep. I've also had a jolt when I've dreamed of falling and woke up just as I hit the ground. Combine a hypnopompic hallucination or two with these muscle twitches, and you've got what feels like a paranormal experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 03:57 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,607 times
hypnogogic hallucinations. Weird stuff happens in the borderlands between awake and asleep.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:18 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWoodard View Post
As a teenager I had this happen to me often! I was in bed and getting ready to sleep but still awake, and my bed would shake! I was NOT dreaming, it happened @ a few dozen times. It hadn't happened it 20+ years untill it recently happened again. I also had an experience around the same time, like someone had their hand under my pillow and was easily pushing it and my head up maybe a half inch! I have to believe it is something paranormal or not in this world. If its a spirit of some type, I wish I could see it or confirm it! PS: I have also have had severe anxiety at one time in my life for maybe a year, and had many out of body experiences in that time! However: I do not feel these are related!
I've had the feeling that something pushing up, from under my pillow. I've had feeling of falling, my body jerking right before falling asleep, my bed moving up and down, or my heart pounding for a few seconds. I think those feelings come from your mind beware of the body winding down, before you actually fall asleep.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:38 AM

172 posts, read 274,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabaghoul View Post
Has anyone had this experience? You're sleeping and you're bed starts shaking like there's an earthquake, you wake up, it continues shaking then stops. You ask your family or people in the house about the earthquake, and they tell you there was no earthquake.
I've actually experienced bed shaking but it was only in this 1 bed (far as I can remember). I didn't know what to think except maybe that house might be sitting on a former burial ground or something creepy. It never happened while awake though so not sure what, if anything, to make of it.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,981 times
I just experience this last night, I think it is from being in a deep sleep and not being fully awake yet, your brain hasn't caught up to your body so your hallucinating.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:39 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
For most all my life, I have occasionally had what I, for lack of a way to better explain it, perceive as a "buzzing" or "humming" sensation at times just as I doze off to sleep. The thing is, the buzzing or humming is not really a sound, it's more of a feeling in my head. It's a sensation. Very hard to put into words. There is also a sort of "falling" feeling, like I'm falling down a shaft or something. When it happens, it has always startled me and I've never "allowed it" to take me where it's going--and it has always seemed to be going somewhere. But, I've always been afraid of where I might go. So I stop it and wake myself back up. And then go back to sleep normally. It happens very rarely these days, but perhaps I should let myself go next time, eh? I just hope I'm not in the obituaries the next day!
Are you familiar with the concept of 'kundalini awakening'? What you describe sounds like it, and it's what I've been experiencing almost nightly since I began meditating, doing yoga, and following a spiritual practice a few years ago. I wasn't familiar with the phenomenon and only discovered it when I began googling some of the things I was feeling. It can and does happen during the waking day but is more noticeable when dropping off to sleep and your conscious brain is letting go.

It is relevant to the idea of 'bed-shaking' because occasionally the vibrations are so strong that it feels and sounds like a helicopter is right outside my window. But like you said, it's coming from within.

Unless someone is psychologically unbalanced, it's not something to fear. One night about a year ago, I managed somehow to let go and the resulting experience was the single most …. blissful(?) peaceful(?) (there's no word for it really) experience of my life. (Fwiw, no drugs, sex, or alcohol were involved).

I've not been able to get back to that state but just having experienced it once enabled me to lose my fear of that buzzing/vibrating/falling feeling. Now I view it as a reminder of what true bliss (? again, there's no word) feels like.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:27 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Happens all the time, when one or both of my 100 lb+ Malamutes jumps on or off the bed, either together or as one.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:21 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
I haven`t had this experience, but I have a good friend, that it had happened to him. His wife was in a fatal, sudden car wreck. died suddenly. He did not have his sh*t together with her death, and they shared 2 kids. He was a mess.
I think that she was telling him to straighten up, and get with it.

Old 05-16-2015, 02:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,790 times
Unhappy my exp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
hypnogogic hallucinations. Weird stuff happens in the borderlands between awake and asleep.

I experienced this for the last 2 nights.
1st night: Around 1am-2am bed starts to shake (very noticeable) for only around 1-2 minutes. I think its strange but try to not think about it too much and concentrate on relaxing and sleeping.

2nd night: 1:30am-2:30am approx. Bed starts to shake rather noticeably again, this time the shaking lasted at least 10-15 mins. Earlier at around half 12ish I felt a strange sensation as if someone was running one finger through my hair but no lifting the finger. few light bangs in room and something fell ( happens quiet a lot ) anyways this really freaked me out, I have never experienced anything like this before, Id also like to mention I live in England where earth quakes are basically non existent, it was very late at night as well so shaking effect from work was unlikely, I live next to a road but not busy at them times at all. I have also had a few occasions where I can hear heavy breathing in my room sounds like from the end of my bed, also a tv turned on whilst home alone and turned up full volume by itself (tv not broken at all). Less worrying things like foot steps/ creeping floorboards, I experience nightly.

Just thought I would share my experience of it as to me it is still unexplained and it isn't the first time ive been witness to strange occurrences. Would be interested to read more stories. The shaking sensation was up and down, light, but very very noticable

Old 05-16-2015, 01:17 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
I have had an experience in which I was having a dream and then awoke (or so I thought) and got up and went about my day only to suddenly awaken, still in bed. In other words I dreamed that I woke up from a dream, but was really still sleeping and was just transitioning from one dream into another. I think this may be responsible for strange feelings where you think you have awakened, but are in fact still dreaming. The shaking may just have been another dream, similar to sleep paralysis in which you "awaken" and find you cannot move. In fact you are only dreaming that you have awakened and are in fact still in the throes of sleep paralysis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal