Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 09:42 PM

406 posts, read 1,038,953 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had this experience? You're sleeping and you're bed starts shaking like there's an earthquake, you wake up, it continues shaking then stops. You ask your family or people in the house about the earthquake, and they tell you there was no earthquake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 01:47 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
You can verify or eliminate a possible earthquake by going to the USGS website. It takes about 4 minutes after a quake for the site to be updated.

I would have this happen to me when I was living in Southern California. It was not a quake, but in less than an hour we would get a 6.0 or better hit.
Other times it was the washing machine on spin cycle or a big truck going by.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:48 AM

809 posts, read 2,187,211 times
This happens to me every so often and it is very disconcerting. I have tried to find out the cause but have had no success. I've even pulled the bed about 8 inches from the wall thinking it had to do with underground shaking causing the wall to vibrate and thus my bed.

I don't know what it is. I've almost come to the conclusion I am actually shaking in my sleep and when I wake up maybe I'm still shaking just not wide enough awake to realize it.

Interesting side note, this started shortly after my "heart dog" passed away. I haven't experienced in awhile however and do now have another dog.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:57 PM

406 posts, read 1,038,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by second right View Post
This happens to me every so often and it is very disconcerting. I have tried to find out the cause but have had no success. I've even pulled the bed about 8 inches from the wall thinking it had to do with underground shaking causing the wall to vibrate and thus my bed.

I don't know what it is. I've almost come to the conclusion I am actually shaking in my sleep and when I wake up maybe I'm still shaking just not wide enough awake to realize it.

Interesting side note, this started shortly after my "heart dog" passed away. I haven't experienced in awhile however and do now have another dog.
It's a ghost shaking the bed.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:03 PM

25,689 posts, read 18,773,845 times
To answer the question. YES! It hasn't happened much over the past few months, but I used to get this all the time--we're talking once every week or two. I tried and tried to figure it out. I, too, thought there were earthquakes. No. I thought it was large vehicles going past on the rather busy road in front of the house. No. I thought I was going crazy. No. I thought that I was trembling in my sleep and that it was waking me up. Maybe. But every time I've had it happen lately, I've quickly taken note of what my body was doing. As far as I can tell, it's not me. I'm not shaking. It's the bed. Weird. Finally, I just gave up and decided it was just one of those things. I've never really been scared when it happened--more like mystified and confused--one of those "what the hell?" moments... over and over and over. Now it happens once in a while, but, whatever; I'm just going to not worry about it and let it do its thing.

There is one other thing that has happened to me only a few times in bed that still scares the hell out of me even when I think about it. Hasn't happened lately. But when it did, it was very scary, completely bewildering, and very painful. I won't go into it much here, because I don't want to hijack the thread. I've researched it a little bit, and found that there are others who experience this as well. As nutty as this sounds, it had to do with the tip of the tongue! I know! Weird.

Anyway, as for the OP: you are certainly not alone with the bed-shaking thing. I'd say, keep thinking about what it might be, but don't let it scare you. In my case, it's never been anything threatening, just very curious. Hopefully it is no more than that for you.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-02-2013 at 03:01 PM..

Old 01-02-2013, 01:05 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,800,839 times
Default Oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabaghoul View Post
Has anyone had this experience? You're sleeping and you're bed starts shaking like there's an earthquake, you wake up, it continues shaking then stops. You ask your family or people in the house about the earthquake, and they tell you there was no earthquake.

I thought you were speaking on something ENTIRELY different.

But no and you probably need to schedule an priest to come to your house.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:44 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times
Set up a video recorder aimed at your bed and simply record your evenings in bed.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:33 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,923,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post

There is one other thing that has happened to me only a few times in bed that still scares the hell out of me even when I think about it. Hasn't happened lately. But when it did, it was very scary, completely bewildering, and very painful. I won't go into it much here, because I don't want to hijack the thread. I've researched it a little bit, and found that there are others who experience this as well. As nutty as this sounds, it had to do with the tip of the tongue! I know! Weird.

Com'on!!! Tell us!!!

Old 01-03-2013, 09:14 AM

25,689 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
Com'on!!! Tell us!!!
It would make an interesting thread!

Old 01-03-2013, 09:51 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabaghoul View Post
Obviously if you were sleeping you don't know if the bed was shaking or not. You were waking up from REM sleep and had a moment of confusion as usually preceded a wake-up from deep sleep. In extreme cases some people act out there dreams and move such that they wake themeselves, and even fall out of bed, this is not normal but is treatable. This is not an unexplained mystery - but a documented medical condition that you may need to treat if you see it occuring frequently.
...or you can continue to blame beelzelbub or whatever you guys do here, but you have been warned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal