Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 11:24 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Two things here- I have been able to look at clocks, but can't read them. I have not intentionally looked at my hands, but I have seen them, on rare occasions. One of those occasions was when I was writing on a wall like a chalkboard.
There was a ghost or some spirit in the room and they were writing on the walls to communicate with me.
And yes, I would and could read each word as it was written, but to look back at the whole sentence, it was jibberish.

Now this is a possible 2+2 thing to maybe solve another mystery I have.
I have resource/reference books that I read bits and pieces from over and over. On occasion, I will want to quote something, or check my memory and go back to that book. I feel I have a pretty good memory, especially visual, so when I go to the book and read something completely different, I'm totally bewildered. This is so NOT what I recall being in the book, other parts remain the same. To be sure I'm not mistaken, I will go through all other books that has focus on this same topic. I can never find the quote or content that I swear was there.
So maybe I read these books in a dream.
Interesting.

I have never looked at my hands in a dream...I am usually distracted by other things. But if you practice the reality check by looking at your hands in the waking state and remember to do this in a dream...your hands will change. I know in my dreams I have been able to read a street sign once but then when I look at it again to make sure I am heading down the right street the sign changes. But it did not trigger a lucid dream since I never practice on street signs in real life....but but but it should have triggered a lucid dream since the words on the street sign changed. Those types of dreams turn into working my butt off dreams since I am trying to make sense of it and waste the night trying to find the right address. The entire dream goes on with me trying to get to the right address...damn dream scouts! Grabs my attention and sucks my energy. More waking practice on my part would have triggered a lucid dream in that situation.

The only book like thing I have ever tried to read in a dream was a phone book...UGH! It was impossible due to it constantly changing...again I had not yet started practicing my reality checks when I had these dreams. Trying to find a number in a phone book in a dream will leave me drained because I am not a quitter....I try and try and try and try. Next thing you know I wake up drained! I have not had those types of dreams in a long time.

I do ride a motorcycle and wear motorcycle gloves...so if I ever dream about getting ready to ride my motorcycle I might be able to become lucid when putting on my gloves.

Yes Lucid Dreaming is a really cool thing to do and I am so envious of those who can just snap into it every night. I am trying to become one of those so I had better start all over again with my reality checks. I have not practiced in over 20 years! The second lucid dream I experienced occurred in 2006 and I had not been practicing the reality checks...but for some reason I was able to recall them at a moment of horror in my dream. It was one of the most exciting things I have ever experienced in this life time.

OK now I am excited to get back on this path towards lucid dreaming! From what I recall from my teachings is that you must practice the reality checks EVERYDAY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 11:44 AM

25 posts, read 28,415 times
A dream in which you are aware is called a lucid dream, you are lucky to have this awareness as it takes sometime for most to develop this ability. Before going to sleep, plan what you would like to do in the dream and see if you can carry it out while dreaming. If you can do this, you can control the dream and derive great benefit. Look up "lucid dreams" on google, there are many articles and books on the subject which will help you develop your gift further. GL

Old 01-18-2013, 02:18 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
I have all the books on it that were ever written I actually used a Dream Nova and practiced all the induction techniques about 17 years ago. I practiced for months and months with great intent. But never induced a lucid dream.

I was so discouraged since there are people out there that claim to easily do this everynight. Good for them!

I actually suspect that these people don't really know what full lucid dreaming is. Only when you are in the deep REM dreaming part of your sleep and then you become fully aware that you are actually in a dream is what Lucid Dreaming is about. It is also very difficult to maintain it when you are a newbie at it due to your excitment when it happens. When I became lucid my dream was no longer what any of my dreams felt like. My conscious was so clear and on high alert in the dream. It is a different level of consciousness than what I experience in my non lucid dreams.

Then 5 years after putting those books away I had my first lucid dream. Then 5 years after that I had my second lucid dream. I feel lucky to even have those two experiences. It is very difficult to do IMO. But I have pulled out my old books and have started my techniques once again. Let's see how long it takes for me to become lucid in my dreams.

It is very difficult to learn how to do this. It is easier to teach a child and I have read that Buddhist monks are trained to do this as well as.

10 Things You Didn't Know About Lucid Dreaming

Old 01-20-2013, 12:36 AM

3 posts, read 5,549 times
I too am a vivid dreamer. Sometimes it has some uncanny relations to life events . Sometimes I feel like it is someone elses's dream. But it is the one thing I actually enjoy because it is the one thing no one can tell me how and what, like in real life.And of course there are things you can do in dreaming that you can not do in real life.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:10 AM

6,952 posts, read 6,877,619 times
I dont think there is a reality. What is a reality check? If I see a ghost or experience something that is 'real' to me, then that is my reality.

Reality is what you allow into your consciousness. That must also include dreamstate.
The fact that you dont see your hands or can push someone is just another thing your imagination is creating for you. Your mind remembers everything - even the reality checks that you are performing which you have read somewhere. To think one thing is 'reality' and another experience is not, is deluding yourself.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:28 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
I think the use of the phrase 'reality check' is just a figure of speech and not intended as literal.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I dont think there is a reality. What is a reality check? If I see a ghost or experience something that is 'real' to me, then that is my reality.

Reality is what you allow into your consciousness. That must also include dreamstate.
The fact that you dont see your hands or can push someone is just another thing your imagination is creating for you. Your mind remembers everything - even the reality checks that you are performing which you have read somewhere. To think one thing is 'reality' and another experience is not, is deluding yourself.
It is an exercise that you practice in your waking state in order to incorporate it into your dream state.

Of course when you perform the "reality check" in your everday waking life you know that you are not dreaming but the practice will be incorporated into your dreams as it has mine. This is how you can induce lucidity which is also real but very different from your waking state.

In my waking state I can't just push somone and they turn to stone right in front of my eyes.

But the reality in a lucid dream is that you can.

Had I not performed that "reality check" in my dream I would not have become lucid.

No delusion about those facts.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:26 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,534 times
I've seen this discussed previously. You probably have a sleep disorder. Everyone dreams when in REM state. If you are not successfully going into full REM, you are remembering your dreams. Get a sleep study. I have problems with this and get stuck in my dreams, wake up, walk around and still SEE the dream happening all around me unless I take my sleep med (parkinson's disease drug). Nothing mysterious about it. It's a brain malfunction.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I've seen this discussed previously. You probably have a sleep disorder. Everyone dreams when in REM state. If you are not successfully going into full REM, you are remembering your dreams. Get a sleep study. I have problems with this and get stuck in my dreams, wake up, walk around and still SEE the dream happening all around me unless I take my sleep med (parkinson's disease drug). Nothing mysterious about it. It's a brain malfunction.
I don't think you grasp what true lucidity is about. Seeing the dream is not the same as controlling it via a full blown lucid dream.

What you experience may be a brain malfunction but people train in order to become lucid. It is a controlled induction.

I hit deep REM every single night. I don't need a sleep study.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:32 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,981,308 times
After reading this thread, it would appear many are stating more or less what I said in another thread about dreams.
Your responses are not exact, but convey my beliefs rather closely, that being, dreams are not of our physical making, but rather our subconscious is relating activity that as yet does not seem to be explained fully.
Here is that post I made in another thread a while back.

"It has been my experience over the many years, dealing with the spirit world, that there is a definite reason we dream, and dream a particular dream.
My studies over a long period, have explained to me what dreams are.
They are the time, when we are sleeping, that our spirit within leaves our body, and travels to other places, and perhaps other times.
It may visit with a special friend, or group it knew in past lives, or may visit a favorite place in it's past.
Some of these dreams can be peaceful, while others may be troublesome.
All the while, as humans, we lie in deep slumber as all this takes place in the form of a dream.
More often than not, we can't remember the dream upon waking.
Some nights, we don't seem to dream at all, and during those times, it is as though we are in fact, dead.
We have no moments while sleeping,telling us we are alive.
It is as though we are dead.
Many time during sleep, we have a number of dreams, and more often than not, remain vague at best, upon awakening.
All these dreams are happening when we sleep.
The restless spirit within us desires to travel the universe in search of many things, and through it's actions, we are dreaming all of the activity.
Just before wakening, the spirit returns,and we arise to a new day, mostly forgetful of what we dreaming.
So, when you dream, you are not in control of anything in that dream, you are subconsciously there as a bystander, with no way of controlling what is happening."
Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal