Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2014, 04:05 PM

37 posts, read 25,706 times

Advertisements

This might be titled "Thunderbolts."

I am speaking of vivid dreams in advance of some event, premonitions, and instantaneous strong motivation to take some action. I have had these experiences, and they have been related to actual events. I would describe them, except most people would think I was nuts.

I wonder if anybody else has experienced this phenomenon, and how it can be explained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 09:00 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,672,460 times
One may say intuition or instinct, premonitions are usually labeled as psychic, or ESP. Many people do not believe that such things are possible. However, when one experiences them, as you have or as I have, it is hard to deny that there is something happening that has yet to be 'explained by science'.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:52 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
I have them, though they are usually of pretty inconsequential things. More Flitterflicks than Thunderbolts. Things like a song will pop into my head that I haven't heard in years and that I don't even like, then I'll turn on the radio and that song will be playing. At which time I quickly change the station, because the last time it happened it was Billy Joel, whose music I can't stand.

Or a particular scene from "Malcolm in the Middle" will pop into my head for no reason, and when I walk in from work, my kids are watching the episode.

I don't try to make it happen. I can't make it happen. They just pop into my mind on their own.

If I could only find a way for this to work with lottery tickets, I'd be typing this from my Swiss chalet.

How can this be explained ... ?

I don't know. I chalk it up to, "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy," and don't worry about it much. Our brains are essentially bio-electric organs, and we live in an electric universe. Who knows what exchanges go on that we haven't been able to figure out yet?

Old 07-24-2014, 03:33 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
I don't get premonitory dreams, but I've had a number of premonitory experiences over the years; I knew something bad was about to happen an hour before Kennedy's assassination, and again two or three hours before my father's sudden and unexpected death of a heart attack. Both experiences involved listening to the falling rain and feeling that the rain had something important to tell me (a very odd thing to think). One day when I was living in NC, I decided to go through my business card collection and stopped at a female friend's card who lived in IL, and who I hadn't seen for a few years. I thought, "I should give Sue a call" and see how she's doing". A minute or two later, the phone rang ... guess who it was?

At the risk of losing my reputation here as a sceptic, what I think is going on here is more than random coincidence. I think we don't understand consciousness very much at all, and it's a sort of timeless universal field of some sort, so in a real sense we're all connected (maybe all sentient life is connected) and in some circumstances can tap into someone else's portion of the field. We know some things before they happen because in a certain sense they've already happened. This would explain a lot of paranormal stuff, including so-called "past life" memories.

I think a century from now we might have a better handle on what consciousness is and what's going on with some of these other paranormal experiences ... or they might forever remain a mystery.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:25 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,123 times
I have dreams that often come true. For instance not too long ago I decided to take an afternoon nap. During the nap I had a dream my nephew (who I rarely see) was with his mom (my sister) and he was telling her he was getting married. I woke up thinking that was a strange dream because last I heard my nephew broke up with the girl he was dating. I called my sister and asked her how my nephew was doing. She said he was just over her house and told her he was gong to ask his girlfriend to marry him. It seems I was dreaming of something while it was happening?

This is just one example. I rarely tell people about these dreams (only a couple people I feel comfortable telling) because I know people will think I'm nuts. Honestly, I even question what is going on and have always been someone who has a hard time believing in stuff like this.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:31 AM

191 posts, read 220,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I have them, though they are usually of pretty inconsequential things. More Flitterflicks than Thunderbolts. Things like a song will pop into my head that I haven't heard in years and that I don't even like, then I'll turn on the radio and that song will be playing. At which time I quickly change the station, because the last time it happened it was Billy Joel, whose music I can't stand.

Or a particular scene from "Malcolm in the Middle" will pop into my head for no reason, and when I walk in from work, my kids are watching the episode.

I don't try to make it happen. I can't make it happen. They just pop into my mind on their own.

If I could only find a way for this to work with lottery tickets, I'd be typing this from my Swiss chalet.

How can this be explained ... ?

I don't know. I chalk it up to, "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy," and don't worry about it much. Our brains are essentially bio-electric organs, and we live in an electric universe. Who knows what exchanges go on that we haven't been able to figure out yet?
I get these too. A dream or just knowing something before it happens. I call them my "psychic flashes". They are usually about trivial things, but recently I had a feeling about my grandmother in the morning on my way to work, then later found out that was the exact time she passed away.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:20 PM

37 posts, read 25,706 times
Thank you all for replying. I am the OP.

I was interested to read that one other person in the thread had a Kennedy experience.

My experience was a little different. I was a freshman in college. I suddenly awoke the night before JFK was assassinated in a frantic sweat. I was convinced that I needed to call the FBI, CIA or some government authority and warn them that he was in great danger. I jumped out of bed to run to the phone when I realized how silly this seemed, and I returned to bed. (Yes, I am that old.)

Old 07-27-2014, 06:59 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,035 times
I have had them. Several times...

The one that I will never forget is dreaming about my dog hanging from a tree. I could hear him barking in my sleep.
I woke up the next day and told my grandmother I had a nightmare about Joe (my dog) and that he was dead. She said it was just my imagination and I shouldn't worry about it. My dog lived about 40 miles away, at my father's house. A couple of days later my uncle called and said they had found my dog dead hanging from the neighbor's tree. I nearly fell apart. I was 12 and he was my first dog.

Another one is not about a dream but more like a premonition (maybe) about my next door neighbors when I lived in Texas. I told my boyfriend at the time that the girl was pregnant and she was going to have a boy. He thought I was out of my mind because she wasn't showing (she was stick thin). I don't know WHY but I just had a feeling. I can't explain it. Fastforward a month or so later...The couple came to our door and said they had news to share. Yup she was 10 weeks along....and they did end up having a boy. My boyfriend was HORRIFIED. She asked me how on earth did I know and I told him I just did. He proceeded to tell his entire family who thought I might be a little crazy. lol

Other things are like knowing what song is coming on the radio next and a few weeks ago I actually scared my boyfriend when we were watching a TV show about murders and I mentioned the boy in the box (it's a true story about a boy in PA who was found dead in a box on the side of the road). The story just happened to come on my mind because I was just reading about it (again) the night before and I asked him if he knew about it. The show we were watching ended and the follow up one was a fictional story about a boy who was found dead in a box! He looked at me like WTF did just happen? Ha...I am used to it.

Last edited by KickAssArmyChick; 07-27-2014 at 07:09 AM..

Old 07-27-2014, 12:18 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I have had them. Several times...

The one that I will never forget is dreaming about my dog hanging from a tree. I could hear him barking in my sleep.
I woke up the next day and told my grandmother I had a nightmare about Joe (my dog) and that he was dead. She said it was just my imagination and I shouldn't worry about it. My dog lived about 40 miles away, at my father's house. A couple of days later my uncle called and said they had found my dog dead hanging from the neighbor's tree. I nearly fell apart. I was 12 and he was my first dog.

Another one is not about a dream but more like a premonition (maybe) about my next door neighbors when I lived in Texas. I told my boyfriend at the time that the girl was pregnant and she was going to have a boy. He thought I was out of my mind because she wasn't showing (she was stick thin). I don't know WHY but I just had a feeling. I can't explain it. Fastforward a month or so later...The couple came to our door and said they had news to share. Yup she was 10 weeks along....and they did end up having a boy. My boyfriend was HORRIFIED. She asked me how on earth did I know and I told him I just did. He proceeded to tell his entire family who thought I might be a little crazy. lol

Other things are like knowing what song is coming on the radio next and a few weeks ago I actually scared my boyfriend when we were watching a TV show about murders and I mentioned the boy in the box (it's a true story about a boy in PA who was found dead in a box on the side of the road). The story just happened to come on my mind because I was just reading about it (again) the night before and I asked him if he knew about it. The show we were watching ended and the follow up one was a fictional story about a boy who was found dead in a box! He looked at me like WTF did just happen? Ha...I am used to it.
Back in the days before routine sonograms, my sister announced to us at Easter dinner she and her husband were now trying for a baby.

Ten days later, my sister called my mother, told her "we're was pregnant and I'm having a girl named Emily."

My mother couldn't keep a straight face. We didn't make fun of her -- but she had no way of knowing -- in fact, all the "old wives" used their old wives tales and predicted a boy, from the way she was carrying to what she was craving...

November -- she had a little girl and named her Emily.

The second time she kept her mouth shut -- but she knew she was having a boy then, too.

Since then -- she's been wrong ONCE.

On the other hand, yesterday I was watching yet another Vintage Antiques Roadshow, where they revisit the items reviewed and tell you whether the value has held the same, gone up or gone down. They did 26 items, and I got 18 wrong, and 8 right... and I saw the episode before. (I don't remember what I watch on tv, because I'm usually something else that commands my attention.)

It's obvious I do not share my sister's ability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal