Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 12:13 PM

4,222 posts, read 4,746,812 times

Advertisements

I've been reading stories online of people who claim to have had them and am cynical. Although there do seem to be similar experiences across stories from seeing a bright white light to 'floating outside of one's own body' to seeing past family members to guardian angels, to demons, people supposedly burning in hell, etc. etc....

Anyone ever had a near death experience? If so what happened? Did it initiate or renew your belief in life after death, spirits, ghosts, heaven, hell, angels or anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 12:45 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,520,472 times
I almost got ran over by another car when crossing the street. I was walking and I had the right of way at the intersection but when I was about to cross I almost nearly got ran over. That sucked.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:20 PM

16,672 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I've been reading stories online of people who claim to have had them and am cynical. Although there do seem to be similar experiences across stories from seeing a bright white light to 'floating outside of one's own body' to seeing past family members to guardian angels, to demons, people supposedly burning in hell, etc. etc....

Anyone ever had a near death experience? If so what happened? Did it initiate or renew your belief in life after death, spirits, ghosts, heaven, hell, angels or anything else?
Hmm- this is a tricky one for me.

I might have had a near death experience.

I was very young, maybe four or five years old and I nearly drowned in what turned out to be a deep pool on a beach.

Since then I have had this vision of 'floating outside of my body' and seeing myself underwater.

I honestly don't know if I had this vision or if it were a dream.

I hadn't thought much of this until a few years ago when there was a TV programme describing near death experiences and it and it revived those 'memories'.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:47 PM

9,086 posts, read 1,459,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Hmm- this is a tricky one for me.

I might have had a near death experience.

I was very young, maybe four or five years old and I nearly drowned in what turned out to be a deep pool on a beach.

Since then I have had this vision of 'floating outside of my body' and seeing myself underwater.

I honestly don't know if I had this vision or if it were a dream.

I hadn't thought much of this until a few years ago when there was a TV programme describing near death experiences and it and it revived those 'memories'.
My friend told me of a similat floating experience when she almost died.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:40 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,935 times
If you're interested, a really good book on the matter is "Proof of Heaven" by Eben Alexander. Dr. Alexander is a neurologist and had an NDE himself, which should have been physically impossible given the state of his brain at the time (meningitis). This is a well-respected doctor's account, which really makes it interesting. It's a good read.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:39 AM

11,023 posts, read 5,989,338 times
The Pam Reynolds case comes to mind. I found this rather interesting write up on OBE's and NDE's, including a description of the Pam Reynold case. Near death, explained - Salon.com

Old 08-09-2014, 05:28 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,764 times
I find it odd that you would want other people to retell their story when you already stated you are cynical. I gather from using the plural of experience you have heard quite a few so why do you need additional stories. As you stated the experiences are pretty similar. So what is your motive in gathering more.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:32 PM

833 posts, read 657,867 times
There is just so much that we will never know about our world, it is best to not discount anything. I believe in this and also believe we simply never "die". To believer no proof is needed and to cynical no proof is enough.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:43 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
A friend of mine had a heart attack. He died. His wife was there the whole time, and just kept talking to him. He revived. Afterwards, he said he had an NDE; went through the tunnel and saw the "Light". He didn't tell me any more details.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:37 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
I find it odd that you would want other people to retell their story when you already stated you are cynical.
I gather from using the plural of experience you have heard quite a few so why do you need additional stories.
As you stated the experiences are pretty similar.
So what is your motive in gathering more.
I find this especially astute, PJ.

I have probably read 200 NDEs, I am a moderator on an NDE site, I probably have
read every book on NDEs.
Dr. Eben Alexander's is surely not one I would recommend, personally, sorry,
I mean no offense.

Now, Natalie Sudman's...wow, I have never read an NDE from a more intelligent and academic person.
Her book is beyond what many have experienced.
A civilian archeologist from Wisconson, South Dakota?
... in Irag, hit by an 'improvised something device', IED...This is one articulate, highbrow NDE.
There is no fluff here.

I have no interest in the orig poster's disbelief, it is their choice
....I basically wanted to bring up a rather obscure book
by Natalie Sudman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal