Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 09:22 PM

19,711 posts, read 20,240,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Past life teaches us nothing to do with your subject, because if you hold to true Eastern religion concepts (not the California granola-eating version of it) past life is collective, not individual. The individual soul does not remain and is not reincarnated, memories of the individual do not carry over. Besides, why would you just happen to be associated with your aunt in a past life, of all the billions of souls in the world?

You learned nothing from regression therapy, because it's based on fallacy, suggestions, and false or forgotten memories (from this life). The issues with your Aunt belong to this life.
Actually, this is really interesting..Let's build on that... Lol..The common theme amongst all religious &/or philosophical schools of thought has always been what? Love. Brotherhood. So, the ability to transcend personal issues in any life, past-present-future, depends soley [soulfully] upon that individual to +rise above lower frequencey vibrations at any given opportunity... This doesn't mean we will no longer feel anger, pain, misery- we are human, and human emotion IS a collective experience.. The negative has its way of balancing, and is essential.. That being said, we, as individuals contribute to the collective from which we came, and eventually we must consciously choose that which we create & perpetuate in life currently.. That is the circle of life.. Human energies characterized by the 4 elements [fire*earth¤air"water~] brought into physical existence by the ways in which we affect /and are affected by one another- -and the 5th, Ether= the Spirit (+love+), which connects us all..... Ok, ok, I'm gettin kinda out there..lol..let me just take a pause......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 07:45 AM

151 posts, read 183,757 times
I felt fine until I read that last one; but, now, I'm sooo ...... dizzy!

Old 10-17-2014, 10:45 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Can you prove any of this?
Prove what?
That reincarnation of the personal soul and memories are not a component to traditional Buddhism? Yes - I can prove that. That is clearly documented in any of a number of Buddhist transcripts. The preservation of the individual soul is actually the complete opposite of what Buddism is trying to achieve (however, before someone comes back in and says "but...but", yes there are a few, very few, sects of Bhuddism that proscribe to the ability to recollect past life).

That regession therapy is a sham? Yes - I can prove that. In theory there is no such thing as evidence of absence. There is only the possibility of evidence of presence. And that is lacking. But certain scientific studies in controlled tests have shown absolutely no proof of past life recollection. I reference studies by Nicholas Spanos in the 1990's, as well as studies done in the 70s, showing that past life recollection by test subjects were innacurate when compared to facts. It did however show high correlation to the test subjects personal belief in reincarnation and to personal suggestion.

Sorry.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Actually, this is really interesting..Let's build on that... Lol..The common theme amongst all religious &/or philosophical schools of thought has always been what? Love. Brotherhood. So, the ability to transcend personal issues in any life, past-present-future, depends soley [soulfully] upon that individual to +rise above lower frequencey vibrations at any given opportunity... This doesn't mean we will no longer feel anger, pain, misery- we are human, and human emotion IS a collective experience.. The negative has its way of balancing, and is essential.. That being said, we, as individuals contribute to the collective from which we came, and eventually we must consciously choose that which we create & perpetuate in life currently.. That is the circle of life.. Human energies characterized by the 4 elements [fire*earth¤air"water~] brought into physical existence by the ways in which we affect /and are affected by one another- -and the 5th, Ether= the Spirit (+love+), which connects us all..... Ok, ok, I'm gettin kinda out there..lol..let me just take a pause......
LOL, I have no idea what you are trying to say...but it sounds potentially interesting.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:51 PM

256 posts, read 342,868 times
Quote:
People might laugh at this, or be confused by this, but I assure you it is beautiful.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:41 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Prove what?
That reincarnation of the personal soul and memories are not a component to traditional Buddhism? Yes - I can prove that. That is clearly documented in any of a number of Buddhist transcripts. The preservation of the individual soul is actually the complete opposite of what Buddism is trying to achieve (however, before someone comes back in and says "but...but", yes there are a few, very few, sects of Bhuddism that proscribe to the ability to recollect past life).

That regession therapy is a sham? Yes - I can prove that. In theory there is no such thing as evidence of absence. There is only the possibility of evidence of presence. And that is lacking. But certain scientific studies in controlled tests have shown absolutely no proof of past life recollection. I reference studies by Nicholas Spanos in the 1990's, as well as studies done in the 70s, showing that past life recollection by test subjects were innacurate when compared to facts. It did however show high correlation to the test subjects personal belief in reincarnation and to personal suggestion.

Sorry.
Nice answer to a question that was not asked in the first paragraph.

I see no conclusive proof one way or the other in the second paragraph. Why are you declaring that you've proven anything when you've proven nothing. Lack of "proof" concerning a hypothesis does not prove the opposite. Lack of evidence one direction does not lead to conclusion in the other. You really don't see that do you?

As for inaccuracies, I could ask you questions about what you did or saw yesterday and find inaccuracies in your statements when compared with video of your day (if we had such video). We are not robots. Read any group of witnesses' statements concerning an event and you will hear nearly as many different versions of the details as the number of persons that you ask. Does that mean the event did not occur? For example, read the testimonies of the witnesses at the Hindenburg (airship) crash. You'll find many, many inaccuracies and contradictions. So does that mean they saw nothing? Or does it mean they were human and were not able to recall everything perfectly?

Old 10-19-2014, 12:10 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Well I received a past life regression therapy after my late boyfriend committed suicide. This is the single most powerful experience of my healing journey.

My question is "can we escape from our past life?"

For example, if we learned that in our past life, we made mistakes and made some people miserable. Then in this life when we meet the same soul, how do we make up to them? What if these people are nasty to us.

I learned from my past life regression therapy that my aunt has been nasty to me in our past life. This life I still am not fond of her and she still is pretty nasty to me at least at one point or another.

How do I deal with this? Do I kill her with kindness or do I learn to just avoid her?

What exactly does our past life teach us? In your opinion?

Thank you
No one can answer these questions for you. You need to do what you feel or think is right. It may take a while for you to understand what that is.

Your aunt? You can hope that she learns from your kindness. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. She may choose to dismiss your kindness, disrespect you for passively accepting her harsh treatment. Or, avoid her negative energy if you don't want or feel that you can't tolerate that in your life. You can always change your mind. There is a third choice; you can address the issue. You can tell her that her words or actions hurt you, explain that you wouldn't think of treating her in that fashion. I don't mean that you should have a heart to heart talk with her. Just respond to one of her comments. If you do that, be prepared. She may choose to ignore what you've said, stunned into silence, or--put on your face mask and get you best catcher's mitt--she may attack. Some people don't like to hear that sort of thing.

It's your life and it's your path.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Nice answer to a question that was not asked in the first paragraph.

I see no conclusive proof one way or the other in the second paragraph. Why are you declaring that you've proven anything when you've proven nothing. Lack of "proof" concerning a hypothesis does not prove the opposite. Lack of evidence one direction does not lead to conclusion in the other. You really don't see that do you?

As for inaccuracies, I could ask you questions about what you did or saw yesterday and find inaccuracies in your statements when compared with video of your day (if we had such video). We are not robots. Read any group of witnesses' statements concerning an event and you will hear nearly as many different versions of the details as the number of persons that you ask. Does that mean the event did not occur? For example, read the testimonies of the witnesses at the Hindenburg (airship) crash. You'll find many, many inaccuracies and contradictions. So does that mean they saw nothing? Or does it mean they were human and were not able to recall everything perfectly?
You seem to be very defensive about this subject for some reason. I addressed the "lack of evidence one direction does not lead to conclusion in the other" in my thread, so obviously I "see that". However, logically speaking, the premise that "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" is not always true. Irving Coop (semi-famous logician) wrote "In some circumstances it can be safely assumed that if a certain event had occurred, evidence of it could be discovered by qualified investigators. In such circumstances it is perfectly reasonable to take the absence of proof of its occurrence as positive proof of its non-occurrence." There are quite a few scientists that agree with him. Under the circumstances then - controlled tests in a scientific environment, I submit that yes I did indeed prove that regression therapy is a sham.

Such subjects are beyond the scope of this topic however. I would rather return to the original topic - I submit blaming problems occurring today on things you may think you learned about past lives in regression therapy may in fact be harmful. The OP needs to deal with her current life, and on that she has received some good advice here for the most part (such as the post directly above mine).

Last edited by Dd714; 10-19-2014 at 09:37 AM..

Old 10-19-2014, 02:40 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
You seem to be very defensive about this subject for some reason. I addressed the "lack of evidence one direction does not lead to conclusion in the other" in my thread, so obviously I "see that". However, logically speaking, the premise that "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" is not always true. Irving Coop (semi-famous logician) wrote "In some circumstances it can be safely assumed that if a certain event had occurred, evidence of it could be discovered by qualified investigators. In such circumstances it is perfectly reasonable to take the absence of proof of its occurrence as positive proof of its non-occurrence." There are quite a few scientists that agree with him. Under the circumstances then - controlled tests in a scientific environment, I submit that yes I did indeed prove that regression therapy is a sham.

Such subjects are beyond the scope of this topic however. I would rather return to the original topic - I submit blaming problems occurring today on things you may think you learned about past lives in regression therapy may in fact be harmful. The OP needs to deal with her current life, and on that she has received some good advice here for the most part (such as the post directly above mine).
I'm not being defensive. But it annoys me to no end (and I'm sure it does others) when someone comes into a thread on a subject they either have no interest in or "don't believe in" and proceeds to inform everyone that what they are discussing is BS. Either way, let them discuss it in peace. If they want to believe whatever it is they believe, let them do so.

I guess it's just that I don't really understand going into a topic I find annoying or have no interest in and responding at all--it would be like me going into the sports forum or football forum (I hate team sports for the most part and absolutely loathe football) and begin trashing the topics. I guess if it made more sense to me as to why people bother commenting on topics they dislike, disbelieve, or otherwise despise, I wouldn't be so "defensive" in my counter-comments.

As for constructive comment on the topic, I can't help the OP much because I have no "issues" in this life that I've tried to deal with by exploring past lives. What I did find, however, was very eye-opening existences in the past that have helped explain, if you will, certain traits, tendencies, philosophies, and feelings I have in this life that had never made any sense to me at all before I began exploring. It gave context to many of my deepest feelings concerning my existence now and the way I interact with others around me.

And you can call it anything you want. All I can say is that it has been a profound help in my life, as I said, not to clear up hang-ups, but to put my "basic essence" (personality, interests, tendencies, etc) into perspective and give it a reason besides "just because" or blaming it on a butterfly dying when I was three years old.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:46 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Quote:
Actually, this is really interesting..Let's build on that... Lol..The common theme amongst all religious &/or philosophical schools of thought has always been what? Love. Brotherhood.
Except there are and always have been religions based principally on the acquisition of personal power or to gain favors from the gods, and others on meeting the bloody demands of the gods through human sacrifice. Sometimes these offerings came from the community, sometimes (as with the Aztecs) from prisoners or slaves. Looking at the history of religion, I don't think these motives are the exception to the rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal