Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2015, 04:07 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
But there we go again. We cannot really 'see' anything other than a shadow. It runs across the road and then disappears (at least to the dash camera). If BF does exist; it is not always running. There will be quite times or times that it eats. Yes we have many police cars with dashboard cameras. but we have more people with great picture taking cell phones today. Many people would love to get notoriety on YouTube or just the national news. All it would take is one great video.
You know, I've often wondered why animals seem to wait until a car is almost upon them before they run across the road. I've noticed that a lot with jackrabbits where I live. There's plenty of opportunity to cross a street, if they feel the need to, when there are no cars around. They seem to wait until the last minute as a car comes down the road, then they skitter across. You could say the same thing about whatever that was in the video: car traffic on that road was rare, so why didn't it cross before the car came, or maybe when it first heard the car's engine, when the car was still around the corner? Or it could have waited until after the car passed. Too much of a coincidence that it chose to rush across the road just as the car rounded the corner, especially since these are supposed to be reclusive creatures.

So, was it somebody pretending to be a BF, trying to fake out a couple of cops? Would the cops themselves have decided to stage a hoax? There's no money in it. What would be the motive? Boredom relief?

The other thing I notice as I look at some of the videos, is that some people claim to have come very close to a BF. There's one video where a guy films one (supposedly) that he was almost close enough to have stepped on. He says it was sleeping just a few feet in front of him, got up, walked back and forth a little (we see a black thing through the high weeds), and ran off. (Interestingly, there's a cut in the film in the moments before the figure starts running off. Why wouldn't there be continuous filming?)

People like this seem to forget that BF is said to have an awful stench. If you couldn't see him through the brush in front of you, you should be able to smell him. Theoretically.

The film with the caribou herd still seems interesting to me, though.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-26-2015 at 04:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 06:10 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
You know, I've often wondered why animals seem to wait until a car is almost upon them before they run across the road.
Animals do that. They'll be on the other side of the road minding their own business and when a car approaches they watch it and when it gets real close they run back to their territory.

When there are goats on both sides of the road and a car approaches, the young ones will run across in front of the car when they see it coming between them and their mothers. Adults run across to join the herd. Human kids on the other hand, will on occasion run out from their mothers in front of the car! Mmmm.... (Didn't happen to me - I always slowed down for people on the side of the road and moved over).

Old 04-26-2015, 07:00 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You know, I've often wondered why animals seem to wait until a car is almost upon them before they run across the road. I've noticed that a lot with jackrabbits where I live. There's plenty of opportunity to cross a street, if they feel the need to, when there are no cars around. They seem to wait until the last minute as a car comes down the road, then they skitter across. You could say the same thing about whatever that was in the video: car traffic on that road was rare, so why didn't it cross before the car came, or maybe when it first heard the car's engine, when the car was still around the corner? Or it could have waited until after the car passed. Too much of a coincidence that it chose to rush across the road just as the car rounded the corner, especially since these are supposed to be reclusive creatures.

So, was it somebody pretending to be a BF, trying to fake out a couple of cops? Would the cops themselves have decided to stage a hoax? There's no money in it. What would be the motive? Boredom relief?

The other thing I notice as I look at some of the videos, is that some people claim to have come very close to a BF. There's one video where a guy films one (supposedly) that he was almost close enough to have stepped on. He says it was sleeping just a few feet in front of him, got up, walked back and forth a little (we see a black thing through the high weeds), and ran off. (Interestingly, there's a cut in the film in the moments before the figure starts running off. Why wouldn't there be continuous filming?)

People like this seem to forget that BF is said to have an awful stench. If you couldn't see him through the brush in front of you, you should be able to smell him. Theoretically.

The film with the caribou herd still seems interesting to me, though.
Animals panic as vehicles approach. That is why they make that last ditch effort to cross the road. Plus; they have no perception of the speed of the vehicle. Crows are probably the smartest around moving vehicles. They have learned over the years to use our roads to their benefit and not get killed. Birds of prey, on the other hand, are myopic and totally concentrate on their next meal; they cannot perceive the vehicle approaching them.

Deer are the most dangerous animals in the US. They kill far more humans than any other animal. It isn't their fault; it is ours for swerving to avoid hitting them.

As far as that caribou heard; could that have been a herd of antelope? We really did not get a great picture of any of the animals. Apelike creatures could have coexisted with antelope.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Animals panic as vehicles approach. That is why they make that last ditch effort to cross the road. Plus; they have no perception of the speed of the vehicle. Crows are probably the smartest around moving vehicles. They have learned over the years to use our roads to their benefit and not get killed. Birds of prey, on the other hand, are myopic and totally concentrate on their next meal; they cannot perceive the vehicle approaching them.

Deer are the most dangerous animals in the US. They kill far more humans than any other animal. It isn't their fault; it is ours for swerving to avoid hitting them.

As far as that caribou heard; could that have been a herd of antelope? We really did not get a great picture of any of the animals. Apelike creatures could have coexisted with antelope.
Thank you both for your commentary on animal behavior. So, could this explain with the (supposed) BF ran across the road in front of the cop car? (Hey, I've gotta ask. Gotta scope out all the possibilities pro and con that it was a BF.)

Apelike creatures could have coexisted with antelope? Where? Are you saying that footage may not have been North America at all, it may have been Africa? o.0

Old 04-26-2015, 07:29 PM

Antelope are different in coloring. If you scrutinize the herd in the BF video, you'll see they're very light-colored; there's a lot of white on their coat, and some pale grey/beige. And it doesn't seem to be the season for the males to have the typical huge rack of antlers.

Here, OTOH, is a herd of antelope. Kinda close, but no cigar. The antelope aren't as bulky as the caribou, either. Any other candidates from Africa for pseudo-caribou?

Old 04-26-2015, 07:53 PM

OK, fisheye, I found a video that shows the "BF" figure more clearly. It appears that it really is an IMAX crew member. (And they really are caribou )
So we can write off the ThinkerThunker guy as being a promoter, rather than a debunker or any kind of objective analyst.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2kE9uT5Oxc

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-26-2015 at 08:03 PM..

Old 04-26-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, fisheye, I found a video that shows the "BF" figure more clearly. It appears that it really is an IMAX crew member. (And they really are caribou )
So we can write off the ThinkerThunker guy as being a promoter, rather than a debunker or any kind of objective analyst.
Thank you! People do things for many reasons: Money, fame and notoriety are at the forefront of most BF sightings. But there are also other reasons; some people just get a high out of scaring or making a fool of others. Perhaps some people just like to show off how much smarter they are than others?

What we are still missing is the true scientific evidence. If that ever emerges then it can make skeptics believers. As our world continues to get smaller; the window of opportunity for hoaxes will shrink.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Thank you! People do things for many reasons: Money, fame and notoriety are at the forefront of most BF sightings. But there are also other reasons; some people just get a high out of scaring or making a fool of others. Perhaps some people just like to show off how much smarter they are than others?

What we are still missing is the true scientific evidence. If that ever emerges then it can make skeptics believers. As our world continues to get smaller; the window of opportunity for hoaxes will shrink.
Well, I'm not completely giving in, yet! There are still a few videos out there that are intriguing. And there's a BF DNA project, where someone brought in some hair and had it analyzed, and the lab said it appears to be from a primate that's not currently known to science. Of course the project directors are interpreting that loosely to say that the lab confirmed it's from an unknown hominid, blah blah, and the lab is fighting back. Drama.

But most of the vids I've seen either have overtly suspicious elements, or have companion videos that convincingly debunked them. So we'll see what else turns up.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-26-2015 at 11:51 PM..

Old 04-27-2015, 01:16 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Results from Oxford University's 2012 research project of sample hair from 'Big Foot' , or unidentified ape-like creatures revealed nothing.

Whats interesting; fur collected on expeditions in the Indian Hymalayas were an exact DNA match and closest relative to a 40,000 yr old polar bear fossil.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Results from Oxford University's 2012 research project of sample hair from 'Big Foot' , or unidentified ape-like creatures revealed nothing.

Whats interesting; fur collected on expeditions in the Indian Hymalayas were an exact DNA match and closest relative to a 40,000 yr old polar bear fossil.
Just out of curiosity; did they date those Himalayas hair samples?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal