Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2015, 06:35 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Not so. It is the acceptance of it which is lacking.

======================================
This is definitely a one-sided discussion. My questions and comments are perfectly reasonable and rational, but they dont get addressed. Not going to waste my time any longer talking to myself.

On all forums, it is well-known there are people with an alternative agenda who put forward a particular point of view. They ignore pertinent questions and focus on misdirection of the thread from the core issues. I know this happens and I have seen it many times on other forums. That is what is happening on this issue. Why, I dont know, and I dont really care. Just recognise it for what it is and recognise those who are doing it.

This issue is not large enough to warrant such concerted attention and normally would last a couple of pages and it would die from inactivity. However, subjects like this about bigfoot are kept alive because these particular folks want to make sure everyone reading the thread gets the message they want to convey - that bigfoot is a ledgend, a myth perpetuated by hoaxers. Like they are desperate to convince us, but why?
You're ignoring the posts from just a few pages ago from people like me, saying we joined the thread because we're intrigued, and genuinely hope that some proof would turn up. But after examining quite a few films on youtube, it was clear nearly all are fakes. That really damages the credibility of anyone who would claim they really saw one. It's like Houdini: he went around debunking psychics because he believed in psychic abilities. He believed in mediums. So he had to eliminate the fakes from the field so that the authentic ones could be studied.

This is why some of us are here. We're open to BF being real. But we need incontrovertible proof. Not a guy in a BF suit running across a country road at night in front of a Sheriff's car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 08:40 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,932,037 times
fisheye, Like I said I was a kid so I don't know all the details, we sold those properties a while back too. But as far as the fur trapper, I doubt that he would misidentify an animal because he used to live in the Russian far east, and was a fur trapper there too, and they would drop him in the middle of the vast wilderness from a helicopter for a few days and then pick up later, and he has seen his fair share of exotic animals including siberian tigers, and I think he was a bear hunter when he lived back in Russia. So I'm pretty sure he would know if it were a bear or not. and also I wasn't sure what distance it was I just guessed that it was 500ft, It was probably closer maybe 200-300 ft. But who knows. As far as scientific evidence. the reason why there is so little of it is because no serious scientist would risk losing his career over this. It's career suicide. Also you could say similar thing to other elusive animals such as cougars, I know that they exist, even saw foot prints of theirs, but never have I seen one or heard one, does that mean cougars are not real? So I'm guessing that if bigfoot exists, there are not that many of them, and they control large territories, similar to how siberian tigers control vast territories compared to their southern cousins in india. Also for a long time nobody knew about mountain gorillas, except for locals, and then boom what do you they actually exist.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:51 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quote:
As far as scientific evidence. the reason why there is so little of it is because no serious scientist would risk losing his career over this. It's career suicide.
Actually quite a few scientists proclaimed that they were interested in the possibility, and some went on active hunts. After all, it was a gamble: it might ruin a reputation, or it might earn one so great that it would go into the history books.

No one found much of anything, so scientific investigations became rarer, and the final death knell to their openmindedness was dealt by a group of geneticists in the UK who systematically studied a large number of alleged bigfoot evidence samples, and found that everything was identifiable. Most of them were from bears, some of them were from other known animals, some of it was synthetic, and some samples were ordinary human. None of it had any ape DNA. I linked to that much earlier in the thread, and you ignored it.

There's also that somewhat popular squatch search show on cable TV, where a crew goes out to sightings hotspots and interview the locals, then go try to find squatches using high-end technical gear. I think it's about to start its second season.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
fisheye, Like I said I was a kid so I don't know all the details, we sold those properties a while back too. But as far as the fur trapper, I doubt that he would misidentify an animal because he used to live in the Russian far east, and was a fur trapper there too, and they would drop him in the middle of the vast wilderness from a helicopter for a few days and then pick up later, and he has seen his fair share of exotic animals including siberian tigers, and I think he was a bear hunter when he lived back in Russia. So I'm pretty sure he would know if it were a bear or not. and also I wasn't sure what distance it was I just guessed that it was 500ft, It was probably closer maybe 200-300 ft. But who knows. As far as scientific evidence. the reason why there is so little of it is because no serious scientist would risk losing his career over this. It's career suicide. Also you could say similar thing to other elusive animals such as cougars, I know that they exist, even saw foot prints of theirs, but never have I seen one or heard one, does that mean cougars are not real? So I'm guessing that if bigfoot exists, there are not that many of them, and they control large territories, similar to how siberian tigers control vast territories compared to their southern cousins in india. Also for a long time nobody knew about mountain gorillas, except for locals, and then boom what do you they actually exist.
There are people in CA who have cougars strolling through their yards. One was just caught in town earlier this week, and removed to the mountains. A friend of mine has photographed cougars wandering through his property outside Santa Cruz. Really, it's that easy to photograph creatures. There's a 911 recording on the internet, someone posted it here awhile ago, of a guy calling 911 because of a big, black, bipedal entity he thought was a huge person, in his yard, staring at him through the window. Why didn't he grab a camera? I guess he was too scared witless? After hanging up from 911, he should've grabbed a camera.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:12 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,932,037 times
Well, any way I guess there is a very large possibility that it is misidentification, most probable is a bear walking on it's hind legs. I guess it's just wishful thinking.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:45 AM

6,952 posts, read 6,877,619 times
Quote:
Well, any way I guess there is a very large possibility that it is misidentification, most probable is a bear walking on it's hind legs. I guess it's just wishful thinking.
I believe there are some pretty knowledgable folk out there and to say these kind of things just makes
yourself look silly. Obviously the far-away sightings can be open to misinterpretation, but for the close-up ones, people know if they see a bear in front of them/their car or not.
-----------------------

In such a large topic as this there are bound to be fakes particularly where books are to be published and money is to be made. Some are going to be obvious and some will be expensive and professionally made by special effects companies. I also think we should employ drones or maybe even tethered balloons, to search the forests. Many people are capable of faking evidence from Park Rangers to campers and hikers, but I am sure someone will eventually find the proof we are all looking for.

Fake Footprints Fill Bigfoot Books
The article by Loren Coleman at Cryptozoonews which was cited in this thread earlier somehow forgot to mention her article's last paragraph which would have added balance to our discussion. I include this here for completeness and to show her belief that Bigfoot is real.

Quote:
Real footprints are out there. It is merely ashamed that we have to wade through so many fakes to find them, even in new books.
Not so sure that we will ever get the proof of God or aliens - which both seem to be more believable than Bigfoot for a lot of people. The only reported alien bodies found were quickly snatched up by the government and spirited away to some fancy lab under a mountain or on a military base somewhere. I wonder what the government knows about Bigfoot?

Personally, I give people more credit than to say all Bigfoot sightings are hoaxes or misidentifications and I can't help thinking there really are large hominid bipedals (and a lot of other things too) out there in the forests.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:34 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
So I'm pretty sure he would know if it were a bear or not.
It all depends on his vantage point. We have seen how eye witnesses have made incorrect statements; even when they were close to the subjects. In the woods it is a different matter; you have trees, shrubs, shadows, wind, and who knows what else. Take one bear scratching it's back against a tree and not being able to see the whole bear; many could mistake what they just saw.

Quote:
The reason why there is so little of it is because no serious scientist would risk losing his career over this. It's career suicide.
Many scientist would take the gamble if it looked like the odds were in their favor. Good evidence is what would put the odds in their favor.

Quote:
Also you could say similar thing to other elusive animals such as cougars, I know that they exist, even saw foot prints of theirs, but never have I seen one or heard one, does that mean cougars are not real?
My wife and I spotted a cougar in NEPA. We chased it down a dirt road in my pickup truck at 35 mph. We got within 20 yards of it before it sprung off the road. I immediately called it in to our Game Commission when I got home and was treated as if we were drinking. So, even with two people identifying a known animal - that happens to be in territory that it is not supposed to be in; people still question the validity of their statements. I can understand why, in our case, since no large cats have been proven to be in PA for centuries. Five years later one was killed on Connecticut roads which gave our claim more significance - but we still need that first body in PA for positive proof.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I
My wife and I spotted a cougar in NEPA. We chased it down a dirt road in my pickup truck at 35 mph. We got within 20 yards of it before it sprung off the road. I immediately called it in to our Game Commission when I got home and was treated as if we were drinking. So, even with two people identifying a known animal - that happens to be in territory that it is not supposed to be in; people still question the validity of their statements. I can understand why, in our case, since no large cats have been proven to be in PA for centuries. Five years later one was killed on Connecticut roads which gave our claim more significance - but we still need that first body in PA for positive proof.
Animals do expand their territory. It's not inconceivable. They should have at least made a note of it, in case there were any other calls.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:52 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I believe there are some pretty knowledgable folk out there and to say these kind of things just makes
yourself look silly. Obviously the far-away sightings can be open to misinterpretation, but for the close-up ones, people know if they see a bear in front of them/their car or not.
I'm sure people are seeing something, and it's not always bears, but I think we can rule out apes. There are no bones or fossils that have been found of anything even remotely similar. Also, none of the footprints seem to withstand critical scrutiny.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:56 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Animals do expand their territory. It's not inconceivable. They should have at least made a note of it, in case there were any other calls.
We thought so to! It was a dry day and I don't know if they could have found footprints? But it did not matter since they decided not to investigate. This was going into a hunting camp that is three miles into the woods on dirt roads. I had asked our Game Commission if it was OK to shoot the animal if I ever saw it again and they replied that it was endangered and protected. So I asked them how it could be endangered if it did not exist? Regardless; I promised not to shoot the mythical beast of PA and I actually never saw the animal again.

At the same time we did have a logger that was logging some of our property. On his way back our roads he encountered a doe with it's throat ripped out on the side of the road. After he finished getting his load and was heading out; the doe was gone. That also sounded like corroborating evidence - but it is nothing more than hearsay (same as many BF reports).

Now, four years ago, we had this road kill in Connecticut: Mountain lion killed in Conn. had walked from S. Dakota. That occurred about four years after our sighting. Could it have been the same mountain lion? Connecticut is farther away from N. Dakota than PA; so I think that it is possible that it crossed through my State. On the other hand; we do have people that own exotic pets. If any dangerous animal escaped from one of these pet owners; do you think they would report it?

So, here I am; in the same position as many of the BF sightings - no evidence to back up our claim. We do have lots of land around our camp; our camp even has many acres. One resort owns 6000 acres that surrounds us on three sides. Less than ten miles away one of the largest camps in the US owns 30,000 acres. There is lots of virgin forest. Over my 68 years I have seen many things at our camp: The mountain lion, large rattlesnakes, and huge snapping turtles, and even bats clinging to the bottom of our toilet seats - but no BF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal