Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 02:41 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Am i sounding like a know it all? Probably. To someone that is totally new to this type stuff i think it will help. To those that are experienced and those with more experience than me just ignore it or add your tip.

Pretty much the same. Most often we don't have a campfire.After about 3 hrs you get your night vision up to speed. When walking and looking for tracks i try not to cover more than 1/4 mile per hour. I turn around quite a bit and look at my back trail. I often see things i would have missed otherwise. Look on maps for terrain funnels just like deer hunters use. The Bf is a hunter as well and will use them (trails,not maps).
As so many already know that getting out and doing these things will greatly improve you game eye. You are not looking for just a human form you need to be able to see just a bit of the critter. When you are looking through the brush and you see an eye staring back at you then it is a definite rush. I have not seen a BF yet this way. I did once in the past while tracking some wild steers i was within about 35ft of 4, 1500lb steers and i only saw the big eye ball of the leader.They were laying down on their sides under a hedge tree that had limbs on it three ft off the ground. These cattle were wild as heck and ran like freight trains in the brush.
Back on topic.

Don't play a radio while out walking etc. Just mosey along and look for anything odd etc.I usually only take two steps then do my turn around. As time goes by the odd things you see won't seem so odd and you will really know when you see something odd. I usually carry a weeder stick that has a small forked piece of metal at the end and i use it to touch things on the ground.

Ask people. Ask park rangers,game warden etc,police if they have had any sightings etc. So what if they think you are crazy. You don't see them on a daily basis. This is a very good source of information.You will be surprised as to who will open up to you with an experience they have had and want to talk about it with a person that won't ridicule them.

Circle your camp: Make three 50ft circles spaced about 50 ft apart around your camp. Do this during the day light when you first arrive if you are camping.Mentally note any spot where you think you could stand behind a tree etc and observe your camp The next morning do your camp circles. This will tell you if anything has approached your camp; over night hopefully. You sure won't know unless you try.

Bird sounds: Get to know them for your area. No way to learn them all. A Crow calling at night would be interesting to me. A duck does quack at night but a duck that quacks down in the brush and stays in one place or circles camp at night would get my attention. Ducks usually fly straight line unless they a circling to land.

Popcorn: I have had success with pop corn in the aluminum pan. Easily popped on open fire and won't matter if burned a bit. Needs to be hung from wire from a limb etc that is higher than any known critter can jump up to it and wire long enough so nothing can reach from above. I use a 14ft extendable aluminum pole with a hook i made for it. Should the popcorn go missing then look for it. I found one jiffy pop shoved under a log. This will tell you that you might be in the right area.

Ghillie suits; Great piece of equipment. Breaking up the human outline will be very beneficial. Some swear by them. Great way to just have someone drive you into an area while sitting on a tailgate and you just step off when you get to where you want to be. The truck is going slow enough so you can just step off and the truck never slows down at all.
Thanks
more later.

I have no experience in the west or Pacific Northwest. These things are some of what i have done in the past as well as others in the mid south and south.

Clarification on popcorn:

Popcorn: I have had success with pop corn in the aluminum pan. Easily popped on open fire and won't matter if burned a bit. Needs to be hung from wire from a limb etc that is higher than any known critter can jump up to it and wire long enough so nothing can reach from above. I use a 14ft extendable aluminum pole with a hook i made for it. Should the popcorn go missing then look for it. I found one jiffy pop shoved under a log. This will tell you that you might be in the right area.

What more do i need to clarify? Hang the jiffy pop from a wire so high in a tree that no commonly known animal can reach it or jump up to it and hang it from a wire from a limb that nothing can reach down from above and get it. I have had mine disappear and then i find it stuffed under a log out of sight with the popcorn gone. There is no way it could have been pulled up by a racoon etc. This was on private property that i was care taker for and i was there twice everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 03:40 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The problem with most 'research' is that it is funded by somebody. In the link posted by Vasily (Bigfoot: Jeff Meldrum criticized.... 2006 Two Articles....) it states that Jeff received $30,000 from a BF believer in Canada. Once a researcher receives money to continue their work or lecture on their subject; can they be impartial? This isn't just about BF research; it is about everything. Medical research that recommends one drug over another or whatever - it is hard to be honest if your livelihood is at stake.
If a group offering grant money has a particular axe to grind, they'll award it to someone who's on the same wavelength. Thus, no surprise that a BF believer would throw money Jeff Meldrum's way. Whether or not he's corrupted by the same depends in large part on the quality of his character. Grant money typically doesn't come with a "you'll find these results or we'll come back and take your money away" sort of stipulation.

Take tobacco studies, for example. Much of the money fronted by tobacco companies went to "outsiders" who they believed would support their positions. This didn't always work in their favor, and ultimately the "tobacco is safe" studies were rejected. Whatever victories they won were only short term. That's because science requires replication for a finding to become generally accepted. One study isn't proof of anything; the Pons cold fusion findings is an example.

Sure, there have always been unscrupulous researchers; but because anyone can (and will) go back and rerun the experiment, that serves as a validation check on the process. A few years ago a large and well known study (I think in psychology, can't remember which one) was reevaluated, and it was discovered that the researcher had seriously fudged the data; the results were just too good and this is what caused researchers to take another look. Sooner or later a scoundrel will be found out - and most researchers are doing what they do because they care about their fields of research, not just about the next paycheck.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:44 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Possible Bigfoot shot in Pa.
Huh ...... you'd think the cops would have collected a body, or at least gotten a blood sample from its trail.

And in general, why aren't bloodhounds used to track alleged bigfoots within a day or so? It's hard to imagine it could outrun a pack of dogs in the long run due to the need for enormous amounts of calories for something that big moving so fast while pushing through brush, but even if it could, it would certainly leave behind some evidence in its haste to get away.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Huh ...... you'd think the cops would have collected a body, or at least gotten a blood sample from its trail.

And in general, why aren't bloodhounds used to track alleged bigfoots within a day or so? It's hard to imagine it could outrun a pack of dogs in the long run due to the need for enormous amounts of calories for something that big moving so fast while pushing through brush, but even if it could, it would certainly leave behind some evidence in its haste to get away.

I am told and have read many times that very few dogs will track a BF trail.

Sure there is plenty of evidence found but all it takes is one denier to make up just a general reason the evidence is faked etc.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:35 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Possible Bigfoot shot in Pa.
Where is the article for this? The link you provide doesn't go to any article.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:23 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Sooner or later a scoundrel will be found out - and most researchers are doing what they do because they care about their fields of research, not just about the next paycheck.
My feeling is that it is more complicated than that. Every second of every day we are bombarded with pharmaceutical commercials on TV. We are told that their medication will solve all of our problems and the few complications are just nausea, vomiting and death or something like that. Then, after a few years, we are bombarded with lawyer commercials telling us that we will get rich quick from using their legal services to fight the pharmaceutical giants.

In many cases the companies, that the researchers work for, own the researcher's work. Nothing gets released unless it has been scrutinized by many departments within that company. If any researcher's work ignores the big picture (the long term goals of the corporation) will they get additional funding?

I believe there are grey areas. That could be especially true if you were involved in the fringe science with few backers.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:26 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Clarification on popcorn:

What more do i need to clarify? Hang the jiffy pop from a wire so high in a tree that no commonly known animal can reach it or jump up to it and hang it from a wire from a limb that nothing can reach down from above and get it. I have had mine disappear and then i find it stuffed under a log out of sight with the popcorn gone. There is no way it could have been pulled up by a racoon etc. This was on private property that i was care taker for and i was there twice everyday.
This isn't scientific. Wind could blow the popcorn off your 'hook' and the night creatures could take it away. Or, maybe it was in reach of the raccoons? Not everything is only explainable by BF.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:45 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
So many people laugh at anyone saying they have had an experience.
I do not laugh. I sit and wonder. I have had a few strange 'encounters' myself, not with bigfoot but strange just the same. My encounters have more than one possible explanation, leaving me wondering which.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:35 AM

Taking photos: Great thread about tree sign and photos of a couple critters at

Gulf Coast BigFoot Research Organization's Message Board

Read the thread started by travellor started on May21,2015. Be sure and read the posts by Circlewalker.

Read a caution about tree breaks.

Great camera info.

As far as pictures are concerned it is FAR harder to take a clear picture than most would believe. Even the slightest amount of movement or shake of the camera, including depressing the button to take the bloody picture can result in motion blur. The slightest amount of motion blur can make the difference in being able to see and not being able to see especially if the picture has to be zoomed in. Holding the camera completely still for ONE FULL SECOND after the "click" is heard is critical to prevent motion blur.

Finally, Monster Hunter has stated something that is very true and I think is important. (Monster Hunter says a lot of important things sometimes even in passing) He stated on forum once that "Monsters will give you a single eye."

Old 06-02-2015, 08:20 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Well, why not run that idea (of needing to hold the camera completely still for a full second) on the photography subforum, see what they think of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal