Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 01:55 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
You people need to get yourselves over to the Religion/Spirituality forums and join in the Why is there something/not nothing....(or something like that) Same topic wearing different clothing!
I do; I post on the atheist form where I belong! I like 'not nothing'! But that does not mean that I do not look for the unexplained. The Great Randi offered to make somebody rich if they could prove and nobody proved anything.

How do you separate out hoaxes from the real? There are plenty of examples of hoaxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 05:34 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I do; I post on the atheist form where I belong! I like 'not nothing'! But that does not mean that I do not look for the unexplained. The Great Randi offered to make somebody rich if they could prove and nobody proved anything.

How do you separate out hoaxes from the real? There are plenty of examples of hoaxes.
LOL. Well, if I had some supernatural ability, like Telekinesis, etc, I would NEVER EVER demonstrate it for a big cash payout...its almost a guarantee, after you are known to have this ability, you will become a govt lab rat, whether you like it or not!

Old 04-02-2019, 06:15 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
LOL. Well, if I had some supernatural ability, like Telekinesis, etc, I would NEVER EVER demonstrate it for a big cash payout...its almost a guarantee, after you are known to have this ability, you will become a govt lab rat, whether you like it or not!
Interesting theory, but I would think it would be the exact opposite because you would be known around the world and if anything happened to you, people would immediately look at the government. Think of it similar to what Leah Remini has done exposing Scientology, of course the Church of Scientology wants her to go away, maybe even "accidentally" killed, but she knows (everybody knows) if anything whatsoever happens to her, people will immediately think that the Church did it.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Interesting theory, but I would think it would be the exact opposite because you would be known around the world and if anything happened to you, people would immediately look at the government. Think of it similar to what Leah Remini has done exposing Scientology, of course the Church of Scientology wants her to go away, maybe even "accidentally" killed, but she knows (everybody knows) if anything whatsoever happens to her, people will immediately think that the Church did it.
What our government did during the cold war would be considerably harder today. If somebody did demonstrate remarkable powers it would be all over the internet. I would also like to think that our government has learned from the mistakes that it made in the past and would not want to repeat them. Hopefully we have watchdog agencies that would protect individual rights. However; I would not rule out that than an individual might not be offered substantial funds to take part in government research. Of course we would still have to find an individual that demonstrated true paranormal abilities.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:01 PM

577 posts, read 494,720 times
Quote:

To the blue text above....

One good way is to give the person that experienced the strange or paranormal event, your explanation for what you think it was they experienced.

Do so by picking their event apart piece by piece and then by using your rational, logical, and critical thinking skills....explain to the person what it REALLY was, they experienced.

Or you may end up having to tell them, what it was they may have "thought" they experienced.

Because I will say this, anyone that has had a "paranormal or supernatural" experience that has reasonable intellect, that does not have any known mental issues and that does not stay drunk or use illegal drugs, really WANTS to know what the Hades it was ….they experienced.

Here is one to start with....

//www.city-data.com/forum/54831901-post87.html

Old 04-02-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post

One good way is to give the person that experienced the strange or paranormal event, your explanation for what you think it was they experienced.

Do so by picking their event apart piece by piece and then by using your rational, logical, and critical thinking skills....explain to the person what it REALLY was, they experienced.

Or you may end up having to tell them, what it was they may have "thought" they experienced.

Because I will say this, anyone that has had a "paranormal or supernatural" experience that has reasonable intellect, that does not have any known mental issues and that does not stay drunk or use illegal drugs, really WANTS to know what the Hades it was ….they experienced.

You very well could be right? But we really do not know anybody that we are talking to here on City Data. Heck, many parents have their own kids that have lied to them about doing drugs or credit card debt. So how do we set a 'standard'? Do we take somebody's word that they have no mental issues? Then, even if they have no issues; how do we know if these people do not have friends or loved ones that perpetuated a hoax?

I mean you no disrespect. Trust takes time and then can still throw a curve ball.

As far as your loud thump: There could be rational explanations. You were using a hammer drill producing vibration. Those vibrations might have allowed a house to settle that was close to making an 'adjustment' before you started your work. The outside temperature can also produce loud thumps when very cold.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:21 PM

577 posts, read 494,720 times
Quote:
You very well could be right? But we really do not know anybody that we are talking to here on City Data. Heck, many parents have their own kids that have lied to them about doing drugs or credit card debt. So how do we set a 'standard'? Do we take somebody's word that they have no mental issues? Then, even if they have no issues; how do we know if these people do not have friends or loved ones that perpetuated a hoax?

I mean you no disrespect. Trust takes time and then can still throw a curve ball.

As far as your loud thump: There could be rational explanations. You were using a hammer drill producing vibration. Those vibrations might have allowed a house to settle that was close to making an 'adjustment' before you started your work. The outside temperature can also produce loud thumps when very cold.

Thanks for replying Sir...

I understand completely about the trust and credibility. I have not been on CD long enough to gain that from anyone. But as with anyone that speaks or writes anything.... it is REALLY hard for a person to repeat a lie in detail after some time passes.

And it is a LOT easier and natural for a person to speak or write the truth, whenever using their memory recall. If anything I write contradicts itself, it will not be because I am lying, but at 66 years old now I may miss a number or date, or type in error. All one needs to do is bring my error to my attention, and I will reply with a corrected amendment and then explain my error.

Hmmmm, to the blue above. Yes possible, but with a very slight "maybe"... We bought the house around April, so I was doing the work before it got cold outside.

I cannot imagine a 1/4 in. diameter masonry bit used in a standard pistol grip style Makita 1/2 inch hammer drill creating that high of " percussion" on the foundations cinder block wall. Even with my I think about 4 anchor holes for each wall 2" x 2" , is still not enough percussion to shift the load bearing integrity of the 8 in. cinder block wall. Enough at least, to allow the kitchen floor that was above me ...to flex or make a "stomp" sound. .

The noise was right above my head, about one ft. to the right of the WH right as I stood up after laying the hammer drill down beside the WH. Which puts the "stomp" sound on the floor above me real close, to the homes main support beam that is holding up the main floor.

Plus, the "stomp" sound was just maybe 6 inches towards the inside of the house from the exterior kitchen wall. The floor and wall framing anywhere within six inches of a exterior wall, that is sitting on a 8 in. cider block foundation wall...is strong. And, the joists and floor decking close to the main beam is one of the strongest areas of the flooring's support system.

I am 6'2" tall and as the pic indicates, the area where I was working had a dirt floor that was not excavated when the basement was dug out, which made the ceiling height in that area less that 96 inches.

My head was really much closer to being around 6 inches from the bottom of the floor joists. So the "stomp" sound on the floor above me, really was literally within inches of my ears. And it did not sound like a wood structure that is in a bind, flexing, settling or "popping". As I stated in the post, the noise sounded just like someone took their one foot, and stomped it once on the floor.

Its bedtime for me, I will continue on this thread with my other "experiences" with our first home tomorrow, if I feel up to it. Thanks, Greg

Old 04-03-2019, 03:24 AM

Quote:
I cannot imagine a 1/4 in. diameter masonry bit used in a standard pistol grip style Makita 1/2 inch hammer drill creating that high of " percussion" on the foundations cinder block wall. Even with my I think about 4 anchor holes for each wall 2" x 2" , is still not enough percussion to shift the load bearing integrity of the 8 in. cinder block wall. Enough at least, to allow the kitchen floor that was above me ...to flex or make a "stomp" sound. .
One time I came close to being killed from the small vibration produced by a chainsaw. I was harvesting firewood three miles back into the deep woods by myself. I just started to cut a dead tree when my peripheral vision caught sight of something coming at me. I immediately raised my hand to cover my head (I did not have a hard hat on). At the second my hand hit my head a four inch thick limb hit my head. The angle of my forearm diverted the force of the limb that still left me dazed. The chainsaw did not cut one inch into the tree; but that little bit of vibration was enough to release that limb that would have probably fallen the next windstorm.

Houses do settle over time. Sometimes we see the cracks in the sheetrock walls or concrete/cinderblock walls. The forces will build up over time and do not need a lot of pressure to release them.

Of course this is speculation; but I have heard many 'stomp sounds' from my own forty year old house. Most happen on very, very, cold nights; but not all.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Indeed. I have looked all over the place for anything that even comes close to these spiders and have been unable to find anything. It seems that funnel web spiders are a lot smaller like the ones you see in your windows. I can't find a spider anywhere (in the world) as big as these were that spin such massive and perfect whirlpools. This area is in far North West NV, quite remote and totally undeveloped.

The battle that was fought there was not huge by most standards. It was no Little Big Horn. But, it was quite brutal and the Indians will go nowhere near it. I now know why. And I don't think we were anywhere close to the cave. We were still down in the old river bed in the valley. It was an experience I'm in no hurry to repeat.

To add there is a story about a cowboy who found the cave decades ago. Stumbled on it so the story goes. He described that the bodies of the troopers were still in the cave and their gear was scattered about the floor. The bodies were sort of mummified according to the description in the story. He got out of there as the narrative goes and never went back. It was my buddy and my adventurous intention to find the cave again. But, we found it off limits.
I just saw this story on the Weather Channel: https://weather.com/news/news/2019-0...nctuaries-list. I have to ask if that is the area where you had your experience?

Old 04-03-2019, 11:34 AM

1,305 posts, read 856,368 times
Quote:

I really shouldn't wade into another quagmire on CD, but seriously, what if there is no way to prove what occurred? Again, what if it is internal? I have had only one "paranormal"/ESP type experience in my life and I still don't get it. Many years ago, I had a very strong connection with a certain person. However, this person lived far away and I didn't see him often. I lived in a home with two parents and five siblings...our telephone rang constantly (well before the invention of cell phones) Anyway, one afternoon, the phone rang, and on the first ring, I KNEW it was him, even though it had been quite some time since we had spoken or seen one another...I'm talking like a year....one ring and somehow I knew.....I had never felt this way when the phone rang probably 20 times a day over the course of that year.....I still have no explanation and I can't imagine any way of explaining it logically or through some type of experiment....certainly had nothing to do with mental health issues or drugs/alcohol abuse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal