Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 04:08 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,658,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Everybody lighten up on Versatile. I don't think I have ever agreed with him on anything, but he's never boring.

https://www.hcn.org/articles/essays-...still-need-him

Even if Bigfoot isn’t real, we still need him

I just spent two years chasing a myth. Why?

Laura Krantz ESSAY April 1, 2019
If it gets people outside, it is a good thing.

A little hiking out the in the woods would do everyone some good. We hike in the mountains every weekend. I have never seen a Big Foot, but with all the time we spend in the woods, I'm sure he will turn up. We carry bear spray and an MP-5, but I have the weapon and bear spray for people, not animals. Some times its hard to tell the difference.

If not, let people have a little fun and keep their imaginations active. It's good to think that there is still wonder and mystery in the wilderness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 10:05 PM

30,135 posts, read 11,774,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I believe they exist, (but kind of like with aliens), there is something about their 'nature' that we do not completely understand, in other words, 'they are not what we think they are'.

At some point in the future, I could see a discovery being made in relation to Sasquatch and everyone saying, "well, it is now understood why getting physical proof of them was so difficult for all those years".

I suppose anything is possible. But we have never discovered proof of anything else this way so I would be surprised if a Bigfoot would be the first one.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:36 AM

22,915 posts, read 28,260,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I suppose anything is possible. But we have never discovered proof of anything else this way so I would be surprised if a Bigfoot would be the first one.
Well ... yes and no.

Take gorillas, for instance. People native to those areas had known about gorillas for thousands of years. But when they told the "civilized" Europeans about them, but Europeans initially scoffed and thought they were just superstitious tales told by savages. And then they went and looked and discovered gorillas.

Bigfoot enthusiasts love this story, but they tend to leave out several key facts.

First of all, investigators went and looked and actually found concrete evidence. Gorillas really do exist. We have tons of photos, bones, DNA samples, and many of them live in zoos throughout the world today. There is ample verifiable evidence that gorillas really do exist, and the Big Bad Conspiracy did not suppress the truth known only to a few True Believers.

Secondly, gorillas (like Bigfoot) are large primates. They (like Bigfoot?) require a certain amount of individuals to maintain a healthy breeding population. Maintaining this population requires an INCREDIBLE amount of daily calories, so gorillas live in an environment rich in calories and spend a significant amount of their day foraging and eating and expending little energy doing so.

Contrast that with Bigfoot, who supposedly lives in areas that get VERY cold in winter --- so much so that other large mammals like bears have to hibernate to survive --- and offers very little in nutrients. A mammal of that size can't live off pine cones and raspberries. If Bigfoot existed in North America, he'd have to be a hunter.

Which brings us to the conclusion: How likely is it that a healthy breeding population of several hundred gigantic primates are wandering the wilds of North America, hunting and killing other animals to survive, yet they have somehow managed not to leave behind a single corpse, bone, pile of scat, or other bit of DNA. Even if they had human intelligence, that would be unlikely in the EXTREME. In fact, real close to impossible.

Which is why I conclude that if Bigfoot exists, then the supernatural is really the only viable explanation.

That said, I still love HARRY AND THE HENDERSONS and few things would please me more than to be proven wrong about all of this.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:38 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,083,615 times
As Humans We NEED Mysteries that are still unsolved. not just fo entertainment, but to urge us out of stagnation and into exploration.

Check out this film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h377bm8bolw

Speed Up to the Very End, to 1:22:01 and watch to the end, for about 2 minutes.

The narrator talks about wishing to hear that "lonesome cry" of the monster to remind him that there is still Wilderness left.....

If you watch the film,it was quite successful in 1972 and made on a shoestring budget, went on to make $$ for the filmmaker. Style predates Blair Witch but it was low budget and it does not translate well to you tube, some scenes are so dark that they cannot even be understood. But this was a limitation of the available equipment at the time.

Old 04-18-2019, 12:43 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,127,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
As Humans We NEED Mysteries that are still unsolved. not just fo entertainment, but to urge us out of stagnation and into exploration.

Check out this film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h377bm8bolw

Speed Up to the Very End, to 1:22:01 and watch to the end, for about 2 minutes.

The narrator talks about wishing to hear that "lonesome cry" of the monster to remind him that there is still Wilderness left.....

If you watch the film,it was quite successful in 1972 and made on a shoestring budget, went on to make $$ for the filmmaker. Style predates Blair Witch but it was low budget and it does not translate well to you tube, some scenes are so dark that they cannot even be understood. But this was a limitation of the available equipment at the time.
When my late wife and I first bought the property I own now the old owners left an old dog coupe. We never used the old coupe; but we had a bobcat that used to like to perch on the roof and let out blood curdling scream; always in the middle of the night. I caught it up there with the flashlight one night. It sounded as if the next door neighbor's wife was being strangled. We presumed that it was some kind of mating call? I got tired of being woken in the middle of the night so I hauled the old dog house to garbage transfer station. After that the calls stopped. It was apparently looking for 'high ground'.

I have presumed that many of these 'unexplained calls' come from known wildlife and our imaginations do the rest. Even deer can sometimes have a 'snorting fit' where they snort one time after another time. To somebody, that is not familiar with a deer's snort and they are out in the dark, this could be scary. Deer will also stomp their feet when they want to alert other deer and that could be misinterpreted when we cannot see the source.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:09 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,621,649 times
I will admit that the idea of Sasquatch being real holds intrigue for me. Cryptid animals are an interest of mine but there are other critters that interest me more than Bigfoot. Like the "Hissin' Critter" canines I OK and AR and the possibility of hold over Dire wolves and short faced bears in remote AK.

Nature is constantly evolving with hybrid animals and new adaptations of old species like the polar/Grizzly bear crosses that have been popping up. These tend to interest me more than the idea of some sort of N American primate species that seems to be able to hide from all attempts to flush them out.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:59 PM

372 posts, read 219,924 times
Default Bunyips and Drop bears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Well ... yes and no.

Take gorillas, for instance. People native to those areas had known about gorillas for thousands of years. But when they told the "civilized" Europeans about them, but Europeans initially scoffed and thought they were just superstitious tales told by savages. And then they went and looked and discovered gorillas.

Bigfoot enthusiasts love this story, but they tend to leave out several key facts.

First of all, investigators went and looked and actually found concrete evidence. Gorillas really do exist. We have tons of photos, bones, DNA samples, and many of them live in zoos throughout the world today. There is ample verifiable evidence that gorillas really do exist, and the Big Bad Conspiracy did not suppress the truth known only to a few True Believers.

Secondly, gorillas (like Bigfoot) are large primates. They (like Bigfoot?) require a certain amount of individuals to maintain a healthy breeding population. Maintaining this population requires an INCREDIBLE amount of daily calories, so gorillas live in an environment rich in calories and spend a significant amount of their day foraging and eating and expending little energy doing so.

Contrast that with Bigfoot, who supposedly lives in areas that get VERY cold in winter --- so much so that other large mammals like bears have to hibernate to survive --- and offers very little in nutrients. A mammal of that size can't live off pine cones and raspberries. If Bigfoot existed in North America, he'd have to be a hunter.

Which brings us to the conclusion: How likely is it that a healthy breeding population of several hundred gigantic primates are wandering the wilds of North America, hunting and killing other animals to survive, yet they have somehow managed not to leave behind a single corpse, bone, pile of scat, or other bit of DNA. Even if they had human intelligence, that would be unlikely in the EXTREME. In fact, real close to impossible.

Which is why I conclude that if Bigfoot exists, then the supernatural is really the only viable explanation.

That said, I still love HARRY AND THE HENDERSONS and few things would please me more than to be proven wrong about all of this.
Did the Yeti come before big foot? These creatures are said to live in the Himalayas. Same basic needs a Bigfoot and of course there are local people who swear to have seen them.

Oz has its fair share of mythical beings.

Our version of Bigfoot is called The YOWIE, but has other names. He is scattered all over Australia, and appears, in different guises in Aboriginal Myths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yowie

There is another with aboriginal origins, the BUNYIP who live in billabongs (like a large swampy pond)
Of course he actually exits; he is known to have eaten a goodly number of Japanese tourists over the years. Kept out of the press as it would damage Japanese tourism. At the time, they were conveniently in a small group for a photo. The link below has a nifty picture.

"The bunyip is a large mythical creature from Australian Aboriginal mythology, said to lurk in swamps, billabongs, creeks, riverbeds, and waterholes.

The origin of the word bunyip has been traced to the Wemba-Wemba or Wergaia language of Aboriginal people of Victoria, in South-Eastern Australia.[1][2][3] But the figure of the bunyip was part of traditional Aboriginal beliefs and stories throughout Australia, while its name varied according to tribal nomenclature.[4] In his 2001 book, writer Robert Holden identified at least nine regional variations of the creature known as the bunyip across Aboriginal Australia.[5] Europeans recorded various written accounts of bunyips in the early and mid-19th century, as they began to settle across the country."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunyip

Finally The DROP BEAR. This is more about Aussies taking the mick out of tourists, especially Americans, who are very gullible. An ounce of truth; if you cuddle that cute Koala it will more than likely pee on you and give you fleas. If he's cranky, he has very sharp claws, so don't .

"A drop bear (sometimes dropbear) is a hoax in contemporary Australian folklore featuring a predatory, carnivorous version of the koala (Phascolarctos cinereus). This imaginary animal is commonly spoken about in tall tales designed to scare tourists. While koalas are typically docile herbivores (and notably, not bears), drop bears are described as unusually large and vicious marsupials that inhabit treetops and attack unsuspecting people (or other prey) that walk beneath them by dropping onto their heads from above.[1][2][3][4][5][6] Picture with link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_bear

Old 04-18-2019, 05:13 PM

12,964 posts, read 9,481,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
When my late wife and I first bought the property I own now the old owners left an old dog coupe. We never used the old coupe; but we had a bobcat that used to like to perch on the roof and let out blood curdling scream; always in the middle of the night. I caught it up there with the flashlight one night. It sounded as if the next door neighbor's wife was being strangled. We presumed that it was some kind of mating call? I got tired of being woken in the middle of the night so I hauled the old dog house to garbage transfer station. After that the calls stopped. It was apparently looking for 'high ground'.

I have presumed that many of these 'unexplained calls' come from known wildlife and our imaginations do the rest. Even deer can sometimes have a 'snorting fit' where they snort one time after another time. To somebody, that is not familiar with a deer's snort and they are out in the dark, this could be scary. Deer will also stomp their feet when they want to alert other deer and that could be misinterpreted when we cannot see the source.
Speaking of bobcats, I just saw a news article that a bobcat had attacked and injured a golfer somewhere in the northeast. The same cat had apparently attacked and injured a horse earlier in the day. The found and euthanized the bobcat, and presumably are checking for diseases, perhaps rabies that can cause animals to do strange things.

Several years ago, I was driving a golf cart that circled around the back of the green. There, at the edge of the waist-high grass, was a bobcat staring at me, not 10 feet away. I stopped the cart and we looked at each other for a few seconds, then he turned and ran back into the tall grass.

It wasn't particularly frightening at the time, but you can never tell what wild animals might do.

Old 04-18-2019, 05:13 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,939,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c charlie View Post
Did the Yeti come before big foot? These creatures are said to live in the Himalayas. Same basic needs a Bigfoot and of course there are local people who swear to have seen them.
From DNA analysis Yeti appears to be either a Himalayan bear or a hybrid of a brown bear and an extinct variety of polar bear, depending on which analysis you believe. A 300 year old Tibetan manuscript says of the Yeti:

'The Yeti is a variety of bear living in inhospitable mountainous areas.'

If the Tibetans themselves said it was a bear, I tend to believe it's likely a bear.

Source:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...nt-cousin.html

Old 04-18-2019, 10:51 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,621,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Speaking of bobcats, I just saw a news article that a bobcat had attacked and injured a golfer somewhere in the northeast. The same cat had apparently attacked and injured a horse earlier in the day. The found and euthanized the bobcat, and presumably are checking for diseases, perhaps rabies that can cause animals to do strange things.

Several years ago, I was driving a golf cart that circled around the back of the green. There, at the edge of the waist-high grass, was a bobcat staring at me, not 10 feet away. I stopped the cart and we looked at each other for a few seconds, then he turned and ran back into the tall grass.

It wasn't particularly frightening at the time, but you can never tell what wild animals might do.

We have a lot of bobcats here but you hardly ever see them. They're pretty nocturnal and really shy. Nobody I know has ever had bobcat problems. They don't bother farm and ranch animals. Not even chickens. Not around here anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal