Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 08:45 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,683,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well thats not mental illness then...Im not sure what that is. Whats the point of filing a FAKE sighting report if you just an average Joe?, (not trying to sell a book, or attract clicks to your cryptid website, etc)...

Who says average Joes are really making a report? My guess(that is all any of us have) is that very few people are making up the majority of these reports, new or old.

Majority of people will look negatively upon a person who reports such a thing, they will think they are using drugs, or mentally ill, it could even impact their jobs, (look at the various scientists that have publicly went on record saying they believe in Sasquatch...they are looked down upon by their peers, they become the laughing stock).

Why do you think that is? My opinion is they either have mental problems(very small percentage) or are seriously gullible(majority) about a topic they really want to believe. Not a single one of us are perfect. We all have an area(s) we are gullible in.

If it was mental illness there would not be people that could function great in real life while believing in made up stuff. People that are extremely gullible in an area(s) have some beyond silly beliefs but keep it under control enough to hold down a job and do well in most parts of life.

Just my opinion and I could be correct of completely wrong.

Plus, this doesnt explain sighting of these things 100s of years ago, there were report databases back then or internet to look up cryptid reports, many of the old reports come from areas where (back in those days), most didnt know how to read and write)...not sure why they would try to 'fake' a sighting, or where they would even get the idea to do that.

The fact is, people are seeing something, and have been for a long time, its humanoid and large, a cross between an ape and a human basically.
The only fact is several people are making money on something there is no real proof that exists. You say you do not buy anything and don't contribute cash to these people. The reality is you are making them cash and every time you post a link you are giving them more cash. You don't have to buy a single thing from any of them to make them cash. You see all those advertisements on those pages. They are paying for that advertising space and wouldn't pay for that space with out you and others clicking and looking at those pages.

Hobbies are fun and as long as these hobbies of any kind don't cause problems in someones day to day real life they are great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2021, 08:51 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,683,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The same place we get ideas for Spider-Man, Batman, Luke Skywalker, the Terminator, Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry, Count Dracula, Cthulhu, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc. Human beings have great imaginations and we love to tell stories. Just because we enjoy stories about talking wabbits doesn't mean our ancestors really ran across talking rabbits.

Some Indian nations also have origin stories where they came from the Underworld. They have stories of Spider Woman and Wendigos and all sorts of spirits and monsters. Norse tales said the Earth was made from the corpse of a dead giant. Mythology does not equal history.
I have some great long time indian friends. We traveled and lived together for several years when I was younger. They would laugh and tell stories about how the tribes make up traditions to get people to travel to their fake ceremonies. Hey it was extra cash for the tribes and like bigfoot people wanted to believe in the "stories" they made up.

Old 10-07-2021, 09:39 AM

17,343 posts, read 11,285,635 times
I'll also add that if civilizations as sophisticated as the ancient Egyptians going back 5000 years could have mythical creatures that they painted on walls and worshiped, why wouldn't some native Americans who realistically still lived in the stone age have some as well?

Old 10-07-2021, 10:22 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That's why if someone was serious about finding out what this tree really was, they'd get a few guys with shovels and expose part of the bottom of it to see if it was chain saw cut. Bigfoots and nature aren't going to be using a chainsaw. Mystery would be either solved or deepen with results. It's a no brainer.
IF you consider the number of artists who go out and create man made sculptures in nature, many going unnoticed, such as Patrick Dougherty and Andy Goldsworthy who work with natural materials in nature, there are a number of artists who go out, create something, and leave it to be discovered. Anonymously. I would point to that explanation first and foremost, especially knowing the minds and the thinking of many artists with whom I have studied and worked.

As far as an upside down tree, yes humans could do it. Humans built pyramids before the invention of power tools. All it takes is a post hole digger and several hours. A group of people can dig up a tree, remove branches, then using fulcrums and levers, lift it and allow it to slide into the pit.

Now I am not trying to be a Killjoy here. I love stories abut monsters and myths. It makes life i entertaining and gives a great peak into our society. But until someone brings a sasquatch in for questioning, I will not be convinced they exist based on current evidence.

Same with UFOs. I LOVE science fiction. I love Horror. ALIEN was one of my favorite films. But every UFO that cannot be explained is not automatically an Alien visitor.

Same with religion. AS an Atheist, I do not use the excuse "Oh we do not know what caused this so god done it" Anything not understood or explained simply means that there are still things that we as humans do not understand . And that inspires us, to use our intellect and curiosity to continue to search for answers.
And lets admit it, life would be pretty boring if we had all the answers, and nothing about which to be curious and explore.

Bigfeet (the plural of bigfoot?) are some most fascinating character. I do not believe that they are real, but I am fascinated with the stories and the phenomenon around them. (No I do not judge those who think that they are real)

In the end, I am glad we have things like Bigfoot, just to remind us of the wildness in all of us, and that there are many things on our own planet that we do not know and cannot explain.

Old 10-07-2021, 10:47 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
IF you consider the number of artists who go out and create man made sculptures in nature, many going unnoticed, such as Patrick Dougherty and Andy Goldsworthy who work with natural materials in nature, there are a number of artists who go out, create something, and leave it to be discovered. Anonymously. I would point to that explanation first and foremost, especially knowing the minds and the thinking of many artists with whom I have studied and worked.

As far as an upside down tree, yes humans could do it. Humans built pyramids before the invention of power tools. All it takes is a post hole digger and several hours. A group of people can dig up a tree, remove branches, then using fulcrums and levers, lift it and allow it to slide into the pit.

Now I am not trying to be a Killjoy here. I love stories abut monsters and myths. It makes life i entertaining and gives a great peak into our society. But until someone brings a sasquatch in for questioning, I will not be convinced they exist based on current evidence.

Same with UFOs. I LOVE science fiction. I love Horror. ALIEN was one of my favorite films. But every UFO that cannot be explained is not automatically an Alien visitor.

Same with religion. AS an Atheist, I do not use the excuse "Oh we do not know what caused this so god done it" Anything not understood or explained simply means that there are still things that we as humans do not understand . And that inspires us, to use our intellect and curiosity to continue to search for answers.
And lets admit it, life would be pretty boring if we had all the answers, and nothing about which to be curious and explore.

Bigfeet (the plural of bigfoot?) are some most fascinating character. I do not believe that they are real, but I am fascinated with the stories and the phenomenon around them. (No I do not judge those who think that they are real)

In the end, I am glad we have things like Bigfoot, just to remind us of the wildness in all of us, and that there are many things on our own planet that we do not know and cannot explain.
Well, aside from all those trying to profit off this sort of thing, there 100s of everyday folks out there, that see these things all the time...sure, SOME are misidentifications, SOME are due to mental illness, etc, etc, but that leaves quite a few that are credible.

Awhile back I had a customer in one of our stores start talking about his sighting of a Dogman, (he had heard me and another employee talking about Bigfoot), he didnt use the word 'Dogman', and he had never heard it before...all he said was, "it looked like a werewolf"...I didnt know this guy at all, but he didnt appear to have mental illness, he was fueling a car, so he was able to drive. I think he really saw something, he had no idea many many other people have also seen these things, I told him to look up Dogman online if he wanted more information.

Old 10-08-2021, 06:04 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Well, aside from all those trying to profit off this sort of thing, there 100s of everyday folks out there, that see these things all the time...sure, SOME are misidentifications, SOME are due to mental illness, etc, etc, but that leaves quite a few that are credible.

Awhile back I had a customer in one of our stores start talking about his sighting of a Dogman, (he had heard me and another employee talking about Bigfoot), he didnt use the word 'Dogman', and he had never heard it before...all he said was, "it looked like a werewolf"...I didnt know this guy at all, but he didnt appear to have mental illness, he was fueling a car, so he was able to drive. I think he really saw something, he had no idea many many other people have also seen these things, I told him to look up Dogman online if he wanted more information.
BFRO has about 5,000 reports that date back over 50 years. That boils down to about 100 reports a year. Many of those reports are not from individuals seeing one of your creatures, some of those are from people just reporting a tree shaking or a rock thrown. Then we have no information on the people that are doing the report such as mental evaluation or whether or not they have fabricated lies in the past.

As far as somebody stops and makes a claim that they have seen a strange animal; you don't know this person. When did you get your degree in psychology? You are very good that in just a few minutes you can determine whether or not somebody has mental problems. I suppose that you ran the man's background through the local police and FBI at the same time?

Our problem lies with your willingness to embrace anything anybody says that fits your narrative. You are not really looking for evidence or a real creature, you are looking for the next fable to repeat.

Old 10-09-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
BFRO has about 5,000 reports that date back over 50 years. That boils down to about 100 reports a year. Many of those reports are not from individuals seeing one of your creatures, some of those are from people just reporting a tree shaking or a rock thrown. Then we have no information on the people that are doing the report such as mental evaluation or whether or not they have fabricated lies in the past.

As far as somebody stops and makes a claim that they have seen a strange animal; you don't know this person. When did you get your degree in psychology? You are very good that in just a few minutes you can determine whether or not somebody has mental problems. I suppose that you ran the man's background through the local police and FBI at the same time?

Our problem lies with your willingness to embrace anything anybody says that fits your narrative. You are not really looking for evidence or a real creature, you are looking for the next fable to repeat.
No, I did not know this guy, and am not able to make on the spot mental evaluations...he could have just been a lonely person wanting interaction with other people...but its strange that he mentioned something that looks like a werewolf, (when we were talking Bigfoot)...

Seems to me if he just wanted attention, he could have claimed he once saw a Bigfoot...why bring werewolves into a Bigfoot conversation? Strange also that he claimed seeing a creature that many others have also claimed to see.

Old 10-11-2021, 04:52 AM

Quote:
No, I did not know this guy, and am not able to make on the spot mental evaluations...he could have just been a lonely person wanting interaction with other people...but its strange that he mentioned something that looks like a werewolf, (when we were talking Bigfoot)...

Seems to me if he just wanted attention, he could have claimed he once saw a Bigfoot...why bring werewolves into a Bigfoot conversation? Strange also that he claimed seeing a creature that many others have also claimed to see.
As 'strange' as it is to you, it does not prove anything. That is why we need more than stories.

Old 10-11-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
As 'strange' as it is to you, it does not prove anything. That is why we need more than stories.
Im working on it!!

I will say one thing about these cryptid podcasts though...Ive listened to PRT (Paranormal Round Table) with Josh Turner since he first started on Dogman Encounters, Im beginning to loose interest, its the SAME thing every show they do...he just tells stories that other people tell him, or things he has experienced, Im not exactly calling him a hoaxer, but according to him, he has seen Dogman, Little people, ghosts, aliens, Rakes, Wendigos, Bigfoot, and on and on...

Either he is making it up, or he is the luckiest person alive! LOL

And after his stories, he always says " tell me what that was"...or "I dont know what it was"...Well buddy, youve had this podcst, (which is quickly gaining listeners), and you are no closer to having the answers from when you started!! Seems like he is content just telling stories, rather than making a discovery.

Ive had it with listening to cryptid podcasts, they are all the same anymore.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Im working on it!!

I will say one thing about these cryptid podcasts though...Ive listened to PRT (Paranormal Round Table) with Josh Turner since he first started on Dogman Encounters, Im beginning to loose interest, its the SAME thing every show they do...he just tells stories that other people tell him, or things he has experienced, Im not exactly calling him a hoaxer, but according to him, he has seen Dogman, Little people, ghosts, aliens, Rakes, Wendigos, Bigfoot, and on and on...

Either he is making it up, or he is the luckiest person alive! LOL

And after his stories, he always says " tell me what that was"...or "I dont know what it was"...Well buddy, youve had this podcst, (which is quickly gaining listeners), and you are no closer to having the answers from when you started!! Seems like he is content just telling stories, rather than making a discovery.

Ive had it with listening to cryptid podcasts, they are all the same anymore.
I hate to say this, but isn't that the same thing you're doing without the evidence to back up your claims!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal