Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 02:32 PM

33,555 posts, read 37,155,629 times

Advertisements

You need to get yourself a baloney detector.....

Lieder states that she was chosen to warn mankind about Planet X, which would sweep through the solar system in May 2003, causing a pole shift that would destroy most of humanity.

I hope this is my last comment on the Nibiru hoax, but questions like the above six keep coming in. Most of the entries on the Internet about Nibiru are false. Wikipedia has it correct when they write that "Nibiru is a name in Sumerian, Babylonian astrology associated with the god Marduk, generally accepted as referring to the planet Jupiter." The rest is a hoax

Nibiru Redux: Six recent questions about Nibiru: (1) I have « Ask an Astrobiologist « NASA Astrobiology

Old 01-28-2009, 11:16 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,306,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wclac View Post
Can somebody help me out here? This have been bugging me for some time now. Do you think the world is going to end at December 1?, 2012? What are your opinions on that day?
Well, I don't know when the world is going to end, and people have no idea. But if the world is going to end then as long as the person has their life in order with God, then it does not matter.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:36 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,376,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Well what I am talking about is what is supposed to scientifically happen. I'm aware of the Mayan Calendar but that means about as much to me as a door to door zipper salesman.

I want to know what cataclysmic events are supposed to happen and what evidence there is to support such irrational thought. If there are supposed to be earthquakes, is there any record of the Mayans having a fantastic track record of predicting these things as well as having labeled that as happening on 12/21/2012? If it's supposed to start raining bile from the sky did the Mayans have a track record of predicting such things with accuracy and did they forecast these events for this "scary" date?

Or is this just a bunch of bupkus with no substance and the only reason people are frightened is because a semi-ancient culture was good at math and astronomy? The whole idea sounds like a bunch of rubbishly stupid Y2K-esque crap that feeds off the fact that people don't realize that humans 500, 1000, and 10,000 years ago had the same intelligence capacity and that different societies were more technologically advanced for their time than others. It doesn't mean any of them were predicting the end of the world.

I'm not directing this towards you, I'm just expressing my sentiments in response to your reply.
I have traveled among the Maya in Mexico and Guatemala quite a bit and asked quite a few Mayans what would happen when their calendar 'ends' in 2012. It was explained to me that the calendar would not end, it would turn over like an odometer, just as someone explained in this thread.

However, most Mayans I have spoken with acknowledge that they will be at the sacred places (the pyramids) on December 21, 2012.

I don't have a source but apparently the Mayan calendars have been amazingly accurate at predicting future events. December 21, 2012 marks a major event to happen. Most people I know do not think that will be an 'end of the world' event but some, including one Mayan I spoke with explained that the world as we know it will cease to be. (Whether on that exact date or slowly leading up to it, or proceeding from it is unclear.)

I checked with one of the world's foremost experts on calendars and he confirmed that not only the Mayan but many other calendars as well mark a major event to occur on or about that time.

But okay, the scientific part? How about the following report from none other than NASA, as recently reported by Fox News:

-----
Modern power grids are so interconnected that a big space storm — the type expected to occur about once a century — could cause a cascade of failures that would sweep across the United States, cutting power to 130 million people or more in this country alone, the new report concludes.

Such widespread power outages, though expected to be a rare possibility, would affect other vital systems.

"Impacts would be felt on interdependent infrastructures with, for example, potable water distribution affected within several hours; perishable foods and medications lost in 12-24 hours; immediate or eventual loss of heating/air conditioning, sewage disposal, phone service, transportation, fuel resupply and so on," the report states.

Outages could take months to fix, the researchers say. Banks might close, and trade with other countries might halt.

"Emergency services would be strained, and command and control might be lost," write the researchers, led by Daniel Baker, director of the Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics at the University of Colorado in Boulder.

"Whether it is terrestrial catastrophes or extreme space weather incidents, the results can be devastating to modern societies that depend in a myriad of ways on advanced technological systems," Baker said in a statement released with the report.

The race is on for better forecasting abilities, as the next peak in solar activity is expected to come around 2012.

The report was commissioned and funded by NASA. Experts from around the world in industry, government and academia participated. It was released this week.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,478024,00.html

Old 03-19-2009, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 4,156 times
No one knows exactly when the world is going to end. One thing I know it will not be in the 21st century. In the bible it says that Jesus will come after the gospel is spread to all humans. Not everyone has heard or acepted jesus as their only savior. Then he will come for those who believed in him which is the Rapture. There will be three and a half years of peace and and three and a half years of tribulation. After those seven years those who are not saved will perish in the lake of fire and that will be the end of the world!

Old 03-19-2009, 04:36 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,306,173 times
Quote:
Can somebody help me out here? This have been bugging me for some time now. Do you think the world is going to end at December 1?, 2012? What are your opinions on that day?
WEll, people say it will, but I don't pay much attention to it. God said that we will not know the hour. I focus my attention on God and living for Him, I myself don't see the need on wasting my time in putting in effort on a date. If God said 2012 then that would be a different story, but this is a date made up by men. So, I feel that their is not need to worry, because we all will die someday anyway.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:36 PM

33,555 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie1234 View Post
No one knows exactly when the world is going to end. One thing I know it will not be in the 21st century. In the bible it says that Jesus will come after the gospel is spread to all humans. Not everyone has heard or acepted jesus as their only savior. Then he will come for those who believed in him which is the Rapture. There will be three and a half years of peace and and three and a half years of tribulation. After those seven years those who are not saved will perish in the lake of fire and that will be the end of the world!
What a morbid myth that is....

Old 03-19-2009, 05:25 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,628,860 times
Angie1234 wrote:
Quote:
After those seven years those who are not saved will perish in the lake of fire and that will be the end of the world!
Yeah, but aren't the people who are supposed to get slapped with a sentence of eternity in the lake of fire already dead?

Old 07-29-2009, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,703 times
i dont know much about this stuff because im only 14, but i have faith in god and i know and hope that if he were as great as i think he is then he wouldnt have created such a beautiful planet just to let it be ruined by an ancient mayan calendar!. i believe in miracles and they arent accidental, my baby brother was born having strokes and ceasars and he was also diagnosed with cancer on his 6th birthday and he is still on this planet because of one amazing fantastic miracle..God!the world is not going to end in 2012, i know this because gos isnt going to let that happen. he said he wouldnt. you can have all the evidence in the world. you can even have an ancient calendar carved into a rock saying that the world is going to end in 2012. but i dont think so.. god already has plans for us.. much bigger plans... sorry if this replay doesnt make sense to some people but again, im only 14.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:14 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
Quote:
Have the Mayans ever been wrong?

Old 07-29-2009, 06:40 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
^In about three years, we're going to find out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal