Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 12:17 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
An NDE is merely the chaotic result of oxygen deprivation to the brain.
Actually, oxygen deprivation is an extraordinarily poor explanation for NDE's. Here's what Dr. Jeffrey Long, a cardiologist, had to say about it in his book on the topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jeffrey Long
One of the more common skeptical “explanations”of NDE has been hypoxia. Hypoxia means reduced oxygen levels in the blood and the tissues of the body, including the brain. Hypoxia may occur in a variety of conditions including cardiac arrest and other life-threatening events that result in loss of consciousness. Most doctors are quite familiar with the symptoms of hypoxia, which may include headaches, confusion, memory loss, and fatigue. As hypoxia worsens, it may result in increasing confusion and finally unconsciousness. If you have ever found yourself extremely short of breath for any reason, you may have experienced some of the symptoms of hypoxia. If so, unless your hypoxia was so severe that it was a life-threatening event, I am sure what you experienced had nothing in common with the elements of a near-death experience. Near-death experiences almost never have confused memories that are typical of theexperience of hypoxia. The fact that highly lucid and organized near-death experiences occur at a time of severe hypoxia is further evidence of the extraordinary and inexplicable state of consciousness that typically occurs during NDEs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 10:22 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Not only that, but congenitally blind people have reported seeing during NDE's. How can that be explained, exactly?

Near Death Experience - Blind woman SEES while OUT OF BODY - YouTube

Old 05-16-2012, 05:09 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Unfortunately, in this world anyway not all things can be explained.
I believe in NDE due to my own experiences in life...I can't explain the voice I heard, but what I do know, it was real...and the calming effect that took place was extraordinary, unlike anything I've ever experienced...it was like, I wasn't there at all...until it was over....

I've heard that science explains NDE as the brain dying...? Which they explain the lights to be...? Who knows, what I do know is those of us who have experienced (something) well, for me, I look at it as not only a gift, but life changing.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:27 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times
I've never had one. One of my fantastic aunts did when she had surgery many years ago.

My first neighbor that became a dear friend upon moving to Hawaii had two NDEs. It took a few years before he shared them with me, but he was dead for many minutes. Said he went through the tunnel towards the light just as I've read countless times. He said other people and even animals passed him in this tunnel.

Weird thing is that he had them years apart and both times he and his wife were at a nice dinner club, the same one both times and were dancing on the dance floor once? wish I could ask him if both times.

He said his doctor suggested that he never go to that dinner club again.

I've read three or four of the books by folks that have had them.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:49 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
I should add that the blind woman seeing during her NDE is really more significant than a lot of people realize. If you were born blind and got your vision back tomorrow, it would be useless. Your brain would have no idea how to process the information coming through your eyes. Seeing is just as much in the brain as it is in the eyes. Because congenitally blind people's brains have never had a chance to "learn" how to make sense of visual information, people who grow up blind will never see perfectly from using their eyes and brains, even if their eyesight is magically restored to perfection. So it's not only the fact that this woman could see while something was still physiologically wrong with her eyes, but also the fact that she could make sense of the visual information during her NDE. In other words, she didn't have a surgery, but even if her ocular blindness was reversed from surgery or something completely explainable, it would not explain her cortical vision. Ocularly blind people whose eye problem is fixed remain cortically blind if blindness is the only state their brains have ever known. She points out it took her a minute to recognize her own body, and had to make the connection through seeing her ring and her hair, but she was able to gather and interpret visual information like a congenitally totally sighted person within minutes of gaining her "visual senses". That's evidence of a kind of consciousness outside of the brain, because her brain definitely did not have a chance to neurologically develop the ability to interpret visual information within a matter of minutes.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:41 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
NDE
I find interesting that the brain is considered in science as the point of dead.
Activity in the brain and its functions are still misunderstood. We use a small percent of our brain, yet every other organ or muscle is used and has function.
I think NDE, life, the creation of life and cells are so complex that even in death, life and cells still function. I prefer to look at life as energy and since energy is all around us using it as a spirit would very easy once our body has given out. We are energy in complex bodies and the higher the BODY we are placed in the more things we can do. NDE is a tranfer of energy between the living and dead and sometimes those energys can be retained when you cross over and back.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:18 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
I had an NDE. I remember everything leading up to it, during it and after it. I even remember the date (2/19/2004). It was a date and an event that changed my life.

It was induced by a pharmaceutical speedball (adderall, focalin, and vicodin) plus alcohol and pot. I know it wasn't a hallucination because there were people around me that were terrified when I blacked out...which is when my journey began.

What led up to it was a classic pills and alcohol overdose. which has claimed many lives, yet I came out of it when I took enough pills and booze to kill a large animal and took the pills in a parachute form (smash, place them in a tissue, and swallow them)...

I won't go into full details because this is a very personal event, but I'll give a general overview. I remember sitting in a chair, then I went into what I now know was respiratory depression, blacked out, and then had the most amazing experience of my life (which was terrifying at the time). I remember that last exhale before I went unconcious...it was the last breathe before I was reborn.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:36 PM

900 posts, read 1,702,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
In '82 had a burst Fallopian tube from an ectopic pregnancy that resulted in my arrival at the local emergency room with a BP of 0/45. The last memory I have of the event was hearing the doctor commanding his crew to hurry (as they moved me into surgery) because he was "losing her." I recall feeling very, very cold and heavy. I learned later that they replaced six pints of blood that I'd lost from the event. (The human body has ten, total.)

In '90, I was the victim of a criminal attack, from which I was rescued, but I thought I was going to be killed. After my rescue, I felt very much the same way I felt during my "event" of '82. I learned from the doctor following my examination that it was shock. It was that professional's opinion that it is shock that induces a person's responses to near death, including various types of hallucinations. That has always made more sense to me than an afterlife.

We are organisms of complex chemistry. Stress results in body responses that cause releases of chemicals (in various forms) that react with the body to produce unusual phenomena. Nothing "paranormal" but not yet completely understood.
I knew someone a long time who was "nearly dead" I don't recall for how long. Of course I asked him what was there? He said nothing. Sorry to be a party pooper. That is my only info. I do have a question, off topic , if anyone knows: doesn't everybody have a different amount of blood according to thier weight? This post was interesting and repped btw.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:43 PM

900 posts, read 1,702,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Unfortunately, in this world anyway not all things can be explained.
I believe in NDE due to my own experiences in life...I can't explain the voice I heard, but what I do know, it was real...and the calming effect that took place was extraordinary, unlike anything I've ever experienced...it was like, I wasn't there at all...until it was over....

I've heard that science explains NDE as the brain dying...? Which they explain the lights to be...? Who knows, what I do know is those of us who have experienced (something) well, for me, I look at it as not only a gift, but life changing.
This exactly. Anothr person I trust told me he heard a voice in NDE too and was.calm. He told me this story because I asked him why he believed in God. He told me he knew that was God's voice.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:37 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog1 View Post
I knew someone a long time who was "nearly dead" I don't recall for how long. Of course I asked him what was there? He said nothing. Sorry to be a party pooper.
nearly dead is not at all the same as dead. The stories I give crediblity to are those who died if even for a few seconds or couple of minutes before being brought back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal