Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 02:49 PM

215 posts, read 976,894 times

Advertisements

I'm a US Citizen brought up in So Cal and now living in Nor Cal. I moved there because I married my British hubby.

Personally, visiting Wales, Devon and Cornwall stopping in London would be an experience for someone who hasn't been there. Beautiful place to visit for a holiday just wouldn't want to live there again.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:45 AM

23 posts, read 55,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy View Post
What do we get a lot of, for paying high taxes??
For one thing, the NHS. As much as some people complain about it, it's still preferable to paying health insurance premiums in the States and I know what I'm talking about here.

I'm an American living in Britain and when I still lived in the USA, I did have health insurance - except that it didn't kick in until I had something (a doctor or hospital visit) that cost over $100. I was a young student and $100 was a lot of money to me, and consequently I could never afford to go see a doctor because I couldn't afford the $100 deductible. For example, I suffered from severe eczema for years and couldn't get treatment for it. I used to get recurring earaches because of a lingering ear infection but couldn't even afford the doctor's bill, let alone the antibiotics I needed to treat it. I've got a slight hearing loss in my left ear as the result.

In contrast, I've had overall very good care in Britain on the NHS, including a 6-week stay in hospital due to severe pregnancy complications. Prescriptions cost a tiny fraction of what they do in America and are free for pregnant women and children under the age of 16. Under 16s also get free dental care and eye exams, as well as glasses. You won't find that in the States, especially not if you're one of the 47 million Americans without health insurance (and plenty who do have insurance have very limited policies that have a lot of restrictions on coverage - just like me in the past).

My eczema is a distant memory now that I can pay £6.25 for medicines that would've cost much more than that back home. In fact, that £6.25 (US$13.50) for a prescription no matter what it's for seems pretty damn good to me. My dad back in Georgia has a heart condition and is on all kinds of meds that his insurance doesn't cover - costs hims several hundred dollars a month, every month for the last 14 years and for the rest of his life. He can't afford to take a vacation anywhere because of it and is still working at the age of 74 because he can't afford not to.

You might think that when you get to the US you'll pay lower taxes - and you're quite likely right. On the other hand, you'll pay dearly in health insurance premiums. If you have a family with you, it will be even worse. If you opt not to buy health insurance, if you don't want to pay a lot of $$$ for doctor visits, you'll just have to muddle along with anything that goes wrong instead of phoning to make an appointment with your local GP like you would if you were in the UK.

According to the World Health Organization, the UK ranks 18th in the world in healthcare. The United States of America, the most powerful, most industrialized nation in the world, ranks 37th. That should tell you something about American healthcare versus the British system, but maybe that's not important to you. Maybe you'll never need medical care while you live in the States. For your sake, I hope you're right.

In the UK, healthcare for all is seen as a basic human right and our taxes support that. In the United States, the health of the population is seen as a way for hospitals and insurance companies to make a profit. If people die along the way, then that's OK as long as there's a healthy bottom line.

Another thing that our UK taxes pay for: education. I did a degree in the States years ago and it cost me nearly US$30,000 in tuition fees. I did another one in the UK five years ago and it cost a total of £4,500 (roughly US$9,000) in tuition, and it was at a better university than I attended the first time around.

So, healthcare and education, that's two things. There are more but those are two of the biggies.

Don't get me wrong, I love America and am proud to be an American. I love going back to visit as often as possible, but my quality of life in Britain is far, far better than it ever was there.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:58 AM

23 posts, read 55,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda25 View Post
The healthcare system may be free but you have no say in your care and if you need some kind of surgery, even if it's a life threatening condition, you'll be on a waiting list for months.
That simply is not the case. People in life threatening situations are seen to right away. I know it personally from when I started bleeding profusely during the 29th week of pregnancy and was zapped immediately into hospital, and also when my 3 year old developed meningitis symptoms he was taken in without question. People with, for example, cancer or heart attacks aren't sent home and told to come back in 6 months. Where on earth did you get that idea?

Of course people are on waiting lists for some treatment, but surely that's better than knowing you'll never get the treatment at all because either you don't have health insurance, or you don't have loads of $$$, or your insurance company doesn't cover the necessary treatment.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:35 AM

358 posts, read 1,916,626 times
The cost of health care per person in the USA is far higher than in the UK.

I agree with who mentioned the aspect of arrogance and xenophobia in English culture. It's funny they accuse Americans of being that way but they're just as bad if not worse... they're one of the worst nations in Europe for that.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:31 PM

578 posts, read 3,063,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Getz View Post
For one thing, the NHS. As much as some people complain about it, it's still preferable to paying health insurance premiums in the States and I know what I'm talking about here.

I'm an American living in Britain and when I still lived in the USA, I did have health insurance - except that it didn't kick in until I had something (a doctor or hospital visit) that cost over $100. I was a young student and $100 was a lot of money to me, and consequently I could never afford to go see a doctor because I couldn't afford the $100 deductible. For example, I suffered from severe eczema for years and couldn't get treatment for it. I used to get recurring earaches because of a lingering ear infection but couldn't even afford the doctor's bill, let alone the antibiotics I needed to treat it. I've got a slight hearing loss in my left ear as the result.

In contrast, I've had overall very good care in Britain on the NHS, including a 6-week stay in hospital due to severe pregnancy complications. Prescriptions cost a tiny fraction of what they do in America and are free for pregnant women and children under the age of 16. Under 16s also get free dental care and eye exams, as well as glasses. You won't find that in the States, especially not if you're one of the 47 million Americans without health insurance (and plenty who do have insurance have very limited policies that have a lot of restrictions on coverage - just like me in the past).

My eczema is a distant memory now that I can pay £6.25 for medicines that would've cost much more than that back home. In fact, that £6.25 (US$13.50) for a prescription no matter what it's for seems pretty damn good to me. My dad back in Georgia has a heart condition and is on all kinds of meds that his insurance doesn't cover - costs hims several hundred dollars a month, every month for the last 14 years and for the rest of his life. He can't afford to take a vacation anywhere because of it and is still working at the age of 74 because he can't afford not to.

You might think that when you get to the US you'll pay lower taxes - and you're quite likely right. On the other hand, you'll pay dearly in health insurance premiums. If you have a family with you, it will be even worse. If you opt not to buy health insurance, if you don't want to pay a lot of $$$ for doctor visits, you'll just have to muddle along with anything that goes wrong instead of phoning to make an appointment with your local GP like you would if you were in the UK.

According to the World Health Organization, the UK ranks 18th in the world in healthcare. The United States of America, the most powerful, most industrialized nation in the world, ranks 37th. That should tell you something about American healthcare versus the British system, but maybe that's not important to you. Maybe you'll never need medical care while you live in the States. For your sake, I hope you're right.

In the UK, healthcare for all is seen as a basic human right and our taxes support that. In the United States, the health of the population is seen as a way for hospitals and insurance companies to make a profit. If people die along the way, then that's OK as long as there's a healthy bottom line.

Another thing that our UK taxes pay for: education. I did a degree in the States years ago and it cost me nearly US$30,000 in tuition fees. I did another one in the UK five years ago and it cost a total of £4,500 (roughly US$9,000) in tuition, and it was at a better university than I attended the first time around.

So, healthcare and education, that's two things. There are more but those are two of the biggies.

Don't get me wrong, I love America and am proud to be an American. I love going back to visit as often as possible, but my quality of life in Britain is far, far better than it ever was there.
As disccused in the past, in the UK we pay high taxes for a crap service where as europe get much better health care and they dont get pounded with so much taxes.

Its funny how many Americans on this forum who have lived in the UK have realised how much more efficient the US healthcare is compared to the UK. Ok the NHS is cheaper than the US but, the waiting lists are a joke, trying to get hold of a GP wow I think I would have more chance of finding gold and the time with a GP is quite shocking too. But the worst is people having to get treatment elsewhere does this happen in the US??

My ex works in the NHS as a nurse and she is getting out as she cant belive how far gone the NHS has gone down the pan, she has applied to be a nurse in the US.

The NHS is all well and good but whats the point when its not efficient and people I know and the horror stories its shocking

It may be good for the poor who wouldnt be able to pay for insurance but its not good for many other people who are suffering.

Check out these references:

Cancer survival rates worst in western Europe | Uk News | News | Telegraph

http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa532.pdf

As for education I am paying nearly as much as you mentioned, fees have risen every yr while I was at UNI and any re-take exams can also cost £180 each from this year.

Also education is quickly going down the pan here especially the schools which are overcrowded.

Back to my statement why do we pay high taxes on everything? the Uk is one of the highest tax nations why?

When it comes to praising the UK the answer is the same which is the healthcare is free and this seems to be the only answer everytime, we are going to have to agree to disagree on this, so I take it there is nothing else good about the UK

Old 07-06-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Getz View Post
That simply is not the case. People in life threatening situations are seen to right away. I know it personally from when I started bleeding profusely during the 29th week of pregnancy and was zapped immediately into hospital, and also when my 3 year old developed meningitis symptoms he was taken in without question. People with, for example, cancer or heart attacks aren't sent home and told to come back in 6 months. Where on earth did you get that idea?

Of course people are on waiting lists for some treatment, but surely that's better than knowing you'll never get the treatment at all because either you don't have health insurance, or you don't have loads of $$$, or your insurance company doesn't cover the necessary treatment.
But also this isnt true there are poor people in the US that get covered by medicaid that do have treatment when in life threatening situations. Also people can be on waiting lists for major illnesses and/or stuck on hospital corridors because of the lack of room.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:55 AM

85 posts, read 308,269 times
Quote:
"Wow. I had no idea England was so terrible-- was planning a visit there later this year, but now I'm not so sure. It just goes to show that you can't rely on the news, etc."

Are you visting or planning on living here?

Visiting is totally different and like many other countries the UK has many places for the visitor especially if you like history.

Only visiting. I can imagine the difference between visiting a place and moving there. I do enjoy history-- museums and such-- and this is a big reason behind my future visit.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabs1982 View Post
Only visiting. I can imagine the difference between visiting a place and moving there. I do enjoy history-- museums and such-- and this is a big reason behind my future visit.
huh Thats not my message cabs1982 dont know why it says it was posted by me

Old 07-07-2007, 09:43 AM

85 posts, read 308,269 times
Quote:
huh Thats not my message cabs1982 dont know why it says it was posted by me
I don't know either, but look back to the posts of the fifth and you'll see that your name is there, as well.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 3,679 times
Hi,
I am writing from Kansas city, Missouri, USA
I just admitted to study for a Msc. in accounting and finance at Kingston University in London.My program starts in september. I was wondering if you or anybody in the forum could give me some advice on what I should expect when I arrive London. I have been very worried about the move. Like the other guy mentioned I also think America is not the very best and I will like to stay in England if I can find a job after I graduate. Any advise for me.
Many thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom