Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 11:21 AM

578 posts, read 3,065,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabs1982 View Post
I don't know either, but look back to the posts of the fifth and you'll see that your name is there, as well.
ahhh ok my message was at the bottom of yours instead of yours in quotes which confused me

Old 07-07-2007, 09:14 PM

85 posts, read 628,558 times
Default Wow

It's funny, when I posted this I thought I'd be lucky if a few people responded, now it's up to 5 pages. Thank you to everyone who answered, whether positive or negative about the UK.
Here's the way I see it-
1. NHS may be bad, but I'm sure the 14 million Americans without any type of healthcare coverage would be happy to have it.
2. People in England complain about taxes, well let me just say this - MY TAXES ARE DOING NOTHING BUT FUND THIS HORRIBLE WAR!!! Our soldiers and innocent Iraqis die everyday for nothing, and the American people are paying for it. At least the taxes in Britain benefit the nation, not senseless killing.
3. I don't mind rain and clouds, rain keeps everything green.
4. The poverty and crime in the US is out of control. People here are gun crazy, and the population is desensitized to murder.
I know the grass is always greener on the other side, but since the grass in the US is dying, I might as well explore my options. If you are a millionaire, come to America and live the good life, but more middle class people like myself (and poorer people of course) will eventually have to suffer here. Maybe the next president will be able to turn everything around for the better, but it's a nearly impossible job. The only person who could possibly do it is Al Gore (in my opinion) and he says he's not going to run. Whatever.
Peace, my friends!

Last edited by Voltaire; 07-07-2007 at 09:30 PM..

Old 07-08-2007, 08:33 AM

578 posts, read 3,065,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
It's funny, when I posted this I thought I'd be lucky if a few people responded, now it's up to 5 pages. Thank you to everyone who answered, whether positive or negative about the UK.
Here's the way I see it-
1. NHS may be bad, but I'm sure the 14 million Americans without any type of healthcare coverage would be happy to have it.
2. People in England complain about taxes, well let me just say this - MY TAXES ARE DOING NOTHING BUT FUND THIS HORRIBLE WAR!!! Our soldiers and innocent Iraqis die everyday for nothing, and the American people are paying for it. At least the taxes in Britain benefit the nation, not senseless killing.
This is the exact same here too our soldiers also are dying "for nothing" also, the taxes dont benefit the nation especially on how much we have pay they dont benefit as much as they should by far.

Quote:
3. I don't mind rain and clouds, rain keeps everything green.
yep much much rain or more like drizzle but if you like that then that will deffo be a plus for you.

Quote:
4. The poverty and crime in the US is out of control. People here are gun crazy, and the population is desensitized to murder.
Crime in the UK is much higher than the US in most categories, gun crime although not like it is in the US but is a rising trend and it wont be long before police will be fully armed, in some palces they already are, knfie crime is an issue here especially in schools. The law is very very weak in places which needs to be changed. Poverty is an issue too but the very poor do have choices part of why we pay high taxes.

Quote:
I know the grass is always greener on the other side, but since the grass in the US is dying, I might as well explore my options. If you are a millionaire, come to America and live the good life, but more middle class people like myself (and poorer people of course) will eventually have to suffer here. Maybe the next president will be able to turn everything around for the better, but it's a nearly impossible job. The only person who could possibly do it is Al Gore (in my opinion) and he says he's not going to run. Whatever.
Peace, my friends!
The exact same here the middle class are disappearing and/or starting to suffer here too, many cant even afford a mortgage on a house especially people trying to get onto the property ladder.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,704 times
It's a nice place to visit, but prepare yourself for one hell of a shock!

A first timer here but I've been living in England now for 10 years. Originally from US (my husband is English), but now proud to be a British citizen as I love this country with all my heart...that was until I daily have to witness the deterioration of my beloved country. We are taxed to death. Half of my husband's salary goes to tax and that's not including everything else we are taxed on...18% VAT, road tax, tv tax, you name it, there's a tax. And what do we get for this tax? Nothing! Garbage pickup is now every fortnight and yet our council tax keeps going up. We can't afford to make ends meet and yet I am unable to find work (been over a year sending out cvs and applications,and nothing). The NHS wastes billions each year on computer systems and yet our hospitals are suffering as are the people who pay their National Insurance tax for this health care. England is turning into a police state with cameras everywhere, monitoring for this and that and everything else. On top of all of this, we seem to have an open door policy to immigrants who come over here for handouts....handouts for which we as citizens have to pay for and yet we get nothing.

My husband and I are so fed up that we are thinking of leaving to the United States. Let me say that this is not our first choice and were there any hope for this green and pleasant land, we would not go. But what is the average British citizen to do? We sit and watch our beloved land go down the toilet because of greedy politicians.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:06 PM

4 posts, read 12,913 times
I do agree that the politicians are greedy, even from our local councillors in each area, Labour here has control, and a lot have full time jobs, and also their allowence from the government.
2 in my area, both work full time, and as well they got 20 thousand per year working as councillors, one of them got an extra 8,000 for chairing on a panel, when the role was supposed to be voluntary,why take pay if its voluntary?
I think if the government took a cut in pay we would be better off, llwydcoed is right they are greedy.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:09 PM

10 posts, read 14,978 times
Default sounds good

Voltaire--interesting. I live in NYC and went to London in June. I feel the same way. What is your background? I would like to communication a little.
America is a disaster. my philosophy: if that is the truth , where would you rather live America with no rules, traditions and manners or britian : all of the above and no stigma for being yourself: not a top of the heap capitalist.

thx,

swyers56@yahoo.com

Quote:
Hi,

I've been thinking about leaving the US for a while now, and the only country I think I would be happy living in is England. I traveled to London and surrounding areas two years ago and I absoluely loved it. Anyway, my question is this: how difficult is it for an American citizen to immigrate to the UK. I don't expect it to be easy, but is it impossible? Also, is England in a better situation than the US in terms of economics and social structure, etc. Personally, I think that America is a disaster. If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:14 PM

Default WOW interesting

I am genuinely intrigued, has britian gone that far down the toilet? I live in NYC and though the biggest hurdle would be work. Since my salary in NYC is fairly good $87,000, I think : if I make at least this salary level I can do ok in Britain. Of course; if the pounds were not there, I would not move.
maybe I am wrong. I really liked manners, tradition and attention to style and ascthetics. -all missing in the US. -In new york: "It's kill or be killed".

R

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwydcoed View Post
It's a nice place to visit, but prepare yourself for one hell of a shock!

A first timer here but I've been living in England now for 10 years. Originally from US (my husband is English), but now proud to be a British citizen as I love this country with all my heart...that was until I daily have to witness the deterioration of my beloved country. We are taxed to death. Half of my husband's salary goes to tax and that's not including everything else we are taxed on...18% VAT, road tax, tv tax, you name it, there's a tax. And what do we get for this tax? Nothing! Garbage pickup is now every fortnight and yet our council tax keeps going up. We can't afford to make ends meet and yet I am unable to find work (been over a year sending out cvs and applications,and nothing). The NHS wastes billions each year on computer systems and yet our hospitals are suffering as are the people who pay their National Insurance tax for this health care. England is turning into a police state with cameras everywhere, monitoring for this and that and everything else. On top of all of this, we seem to have an open door policy to immigrants who come over here for handouts....handouts for which we as citizens have to pay for and yet we get nothing.

My husband and I are so fed up that we are thinking of leaving to the United States. Let me say that this is not our first choice and were there any hope for this green and pleasant land, we would not go. But what is the average British citizen to do? We sit and watch our beloved land go down the toilet because of greedy politicians.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:33 PM

Default sounds even better

I have a question: do you think people that don't want to stay in britain just grew up there do they want out or is it a matter of taxes that middle class and underclass cannot pay easily. You seem to be fairing ok. Right? I would like to move to london personally.

R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I have lived near Oxford for 18 years now, and love it. I love the beauty of the countryside, the lovely villages , the history and the architecture too. Yes England does have its problems, the healthcare is not as good as the French one but it's not that bad( I should know having sadly had to use it quite a bit) and it is free for all . As an employee you get decent paid holidays ( 4 weeks minimum), paid pension, paid maternity leave etc.. The thing that worries me the most at the moment is the loss of our civil liberties due to the ruddy "war on terror" and England IS becoming a Nanny State. However I think your experience will vary widely depending on where you live. Oxfordshire is fantastic and I am always thankful for living in such a brilliant place with easy access to the theatre, concerts, opera, jazz, tons of different clubs and societies, we are only an hour and a half from London, 45 minutes to Stratford upon Avon ( And the RSC), and under 2 hours to Bath. What else could anyone want ? I would quite like a couple of years in the US ( New England or Northern California) but I think I my heart will always be here. Economically we are doing pretty well, and though there are some social problems , these exist everywhere. The thing I hate the most here is "chav" culture , people getting drunk because they are too boring to have a life , people who swear, and sleep around. Even worse is "super-chav" culture where so called celebrities with IQ of pea-pods have somehow become heroes for the average Brit. It drives me nuts. But all in all I think England is a pretty good place. People are quite tolerant, the society is secular so no freaky fundamentalists ruling society, and plenty to do. Plus Europe is on our doorstep and lots of places to visit.

Last edited by Calypso790; 07-17-2007 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: mispellings

Old 07-17-2007, 06:33 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,661,220 times
The BBC did a very interesting special called 'Brits Abroad,' the website of which is here:

Brits Abroad

It points out that 5.5 million British people live outside the UK, with Australia and Spain each hosting over a million Britons, and the US and Canada each hosting over 600,000 British expats. It's interesting, because the number of Australians/Americans/Spaniards/Canadians living in the UK are nowhere near that number. It's not a symmetrical exchange. For example, 680,000 Britons live around the US, but only about 250,000 Americans live in the UK.

The reasons are usually housing prices, weather, and personal space. It's a lot cheaper to buy a plot of land outside the UK than inside. It's a matter of preference. Many of the Americans who relocate to the UK live an urban lifestyle in central London. If that is what you are after, you'll enjoy it quite a bit. But if your ambition is to buy a nice house with a yard and garden somewhere near the city, then you better come loaded with cash.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:55 PM

85 posts, read 628,558 times
Very few Americans ever actually move out of the US. This is because from the time they can recognize language, Americans are taught that their country is the closest thing to heaven. "America is the greatest country in the world", "You are so lucky to be American", "You have freedom, no other country has freedom". The last one is my favorite because it's such a load of crap. There are many "free countries" in this world, some even freer than the US dare I say it, like The Netherlands. America even boasts having "the greatest city in the world" which is of course, New York. I grew up in NYC, it's a wonderful city, but I would never call it "the greatest in the world" because I haven't been to every city in the world, and you would have to in order to make that judgement. Americans are still so ignorant that they believe the United States (with all its poverty, crime, violence, and corruption) is the most wonderful place on this planet. So here's a rule for America: there's nothing wrong with pride in one's country, but stop saying that everything in the US is the "best in the world" because it isn't, become educated about other places, and then make your decision. You might be surprised what you find.
Peace All.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom