Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 04:26 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times

Advertisements

We were just pricing leg of lamb over here but yeeeeeks, that's why we don't eat it anymore.

Sounds like a lot of our comfort foods come from the UK--I had chicken pot pie last night, bubble and squeak the night before and shepherd's pie the night before that. All comfort foods now that the weather is cold.

I make pot roast in the crock pot. Brit hubby started telling me about his meals at school--fantastic--once they got the chef fired and replaced with somebody from a four star hotel! The former chef fed them fish spawn. (That's what he calls tapioca.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 05:04 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,204 times
ahhh school dinners ... kitty kat pie otherwise known as corned beef pie and chicken in school glue which was their version of chicken fricassee (sp)? and who couldn't love blancmange ? especially when it was warm and had a skin on it *shudder*

Those are some of my not so favourite things about British cooking

Old 11-13-2013, 05:38 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
ahhh school dinners ... kitty kat pie otherwise known as corned beef pie and chicken in school glue which was their version of chicken fricassee (sp)? and who couldn't love blancmange ? especially when it was warm and had a skin on it *shudder*

Those are some of my not so favourite things about British cooking
Just wondering does anybody know - is blancmange considered particularly British? Looking at its name suggests otherwise?

Old 11-13-2013, 08:04 AM

blancmange from the French blanc (white) mangier (dish) probably isn't of British origin, in fact wiki seems to think its an Arabian dish. However anyone who ate school dinners in the UK (especially in the 60's and 70's) will be familiar with the disgusting rubbery desert that was blancmange (strangely ours was usually peptobismol pink).

Old 11-13-2013, 08:06 AM

Leg of lamb has been requested for Christmas day here, my son says turkey once a year is enough and seeing as 'those yanks' (his words not mine) insist on serving it for Thanksgiving then we should have something different for Christmas. Last time I purchased a full leg of lamb here it didn't leave me much change from $100 , this could get expensive.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:25 PM

Well, I must have said something...............suddenly we are taking a drive to the British shop for kippers. He says they would be good smoked with maple! (dh from Lancs.)

"If you ever get in the King's Stag between Sherborne and Salisbury, have a gentlemen's lunch: Dorset stilton soaked with port, and a glass of port." (the rest of what he said is unprintable--leaving now for the British shop..............)

Old 11-13-2013, 01:47 PM

16,669 posts, read 17,433,087 times
Dorset Stilton?

I suspect that is Blue Vinny.

It's pretty good!

Old 11-13-2013, 02:00 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
We did roast leg of lamb for my wife's secretary when in Houston.

She and her husband, both in their forties, had never had lamb.

I used to get it from a Lebanese butcher who had Mexican butchers who didn't speak English.

One time trying to explain that I wanted lamb neck filets got interesting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Leg of lamb has been requested for Christmas day here, my son says turkey once a year is enough and seeing as 'those yanks' (his words not mine) insist on serving it for Thanksgiving then we should have something different for Christmas. Last time I purchased a full leg of lamb here it didn't leave me much change from $100 , this could get expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
We were just pricing leg of lamb over here but yeeeeeks, that's why we don't eat it anymore.
Wow, I must be lucky to live where I do, because I can get leg of lamb for a pretty good price from either the Lebanese markets or the better grocery stores in town--or at any of the farmers markets or specialty meat markets. It's not even that expensive most of the time though at the fancier grocery stores it can start to get pricey.

I forget though how out of touch I am though with a lot of the US in terms of food. I grew up eating lamb fairly often through my mom's cooking and still cook a lot of dishes with lamb.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:34 PM

I lived in Cumbria for a number of years and would buy lamb direct from a local farmer so my children got used to having it fairly frequently. This Christmas will be the first time in 5 years that I get to cook for my family and I am so looking forward to it. I just priced a bone in leg of lamb here at $9.99lb which in all honesty isn't so bad.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Dorset Stilton?

I suspect that is Blue Vinny.

It's pretty good!
"You can get either the blue veined or the white. It should be in a pot jar if it's true farm made Dorset.

If you buy a pot Stilton you open it up, scrape the top of the cheese concave, pour port in, seal it up, put it away out of sight for a month. Then start using it. It's food or drink all at once. and that is a gentlemen's lunch." ---dh from Lancs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom