Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2015, 04:39 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,265,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Yes, it's likely an American with English ancestry dating back to the 17th century settlement would have other ancestries as well, but usually closely-related ones (or at least NW European), such as Scottish, Ulster-Scots, maybe a little German and Irish. In the case of the Ulster Scots, they are more commonly (in the US) known as Scotch-Irish, which kind of bolsters the Irish component a bit. Jim Morrison, for example, considered himself an Irish-American, but he really wasn't very Irish at all: Jim Morrison -- he was really more English.
My American relatives do that. They keep calling their relatives Irish and i've told before that they are Ulster Scots not Irish, they won't listen to me.

They have this fantasy that my family are from Galway and that there was a conversation of religion a few hundred years ago. Their/my ancestors are through and through Presbyterian, I have traced them right back to a link in Kirkcudbrightshire in Scotland, they are certainly NOT from Galway!

I've never heard anything like it!! I don't see what's wrong with accepting their identity and putting down scots-irish? They take it so seriously to the point that they nearly tear me up when I say that the family are not Irish even though they're American

Old 10-10-2015, 04:43 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,655,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindstealer View Post
True, it's very rare that a specific ancestry group is over 50% of any county. I know some countys in Wisconsin and North Dakota are around 40% German... but still that leaves 60% who are of non-German origin. And those areas are regarded as the most German in the US.

Same with the supposededly Irish dominated areas in the northeast. They are not in the majority, they are just the biggest minority.

Minnesota is an intresting case. It's seen as very Scandinavian... even though German ancestry is more common in that state than Swedish, Norwegian and Danish put together.
I don't think it's coincidence either that Minnesota is considered to have the least corrupt state and local government in the US, or at least way better than NJ, and L'eeziana.

I have a brother-in-law originally from the Irish island of Achill, off the west coast, population 5,000. He tells me that traditionally people from the island, (who are very clanish even by Irish standards), when emigrating to the US, skip Boston, NYC, Philly, east Podunk etc. and still head to Cleveland, because that's where a lots of islanders settled after they finished building the Erie canal. Apparently, to some, it's the only place in the entire US worth emigrating to. Now you know.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:48 PM

The southern Irish have a tendancy to stick together when they immigrate. Northern Irish not so much.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:57 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,714,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
The southern Irish have a tendancy to stick together when they immigrate. Northern Irish not so much.
Hey, you are right! They are clannish and stick together. But the Scots Irish aren't that way, that I know of. The southern US has a lot of Scots Irish and in the northeast we have Scots Irish in the state of New Hampshire. Most of them have origins in people who migrated here around 1700.

New Hampshire is known for not wanting laws, like the south. Their motto is Live Free or Die. I had one Scots Irish ancestor a few centuries ago and he was a famous fighter. Slaughtered Native Americans and French in the French and Indian War. Founded a town in New Hampshire called Londonderry. Of course, they started out as mercantile warriers on the English-Scottish border, probably the origin of their rebellious, fighting ways.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:02 PM

It's so funny to me that people from my local area were so influential.

I always assumed it was just English people who had influence.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I guess all those Scots-Irish in Ulster quickly forgot about their Scottish Clan ancestry. Ya couldn't be up to them.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
It's so funny to me that people from my local area were so influential.

I always assumed it was just English people who had influence.
There's a large new housing development a few miles from me, and all the street/road names are after Irish towns and counties, (southern obviously). It's the developer's prerogative.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:34 PM

Really?

Old 10-10-2015, 06:04 PM

93 posts, read 75,271 times
Quote:
That's a valid point you make. Sadly you will probably be ignored.
Oh I'm aware of that. Americans can obviously identify with whatever ancestry they choose. But I'm annoyed by ignorance and when an American say German or Irish ancestry is way more common than English? Yep thats ignorance, and factually incorrect.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:23 PM

It's completely pointless debating the numbers, because there's no uniform counting protocol. The Wiki link has two different tables.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_a..._United_States

This link has different numbers again.

Ancestry of U.S. Population by Rank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom