Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2015, 09:14 PM

93 posts, read 75,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
It's completely pointless debating the numbers, because there's no uniform counting protocol. The Wiki link has two different tables.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_a..._United_States

This link has different numbers again.

Ancestry of U.S. Population by Rank
Both those links has a large portion of people who only identify as "American", mostly in the southern states. Those people are of mainly English and Scotch-Irish descent.

Before 1990 there was no "American" option and coincidentally English was the most reported ancestry at almost 50 million in the 1980 census. Which would make them the largest ancestry group even today.

And now apparantley in the 2000 and 2011 censuses there are only around 25 million Americans of English descent.

So I ask again. Did 25 million English-Americans just evaporate? Or isn't it more likely that English is vastly undercounted in later censuses?

Old 10-10-2015, 09:52 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,656,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindstealer View Post
Both those links has a large portion of people who only identify as "American", mostly in the southern states. Those people are of mainly English and Scotch-Irish descent.

Before 1990 there was no "American" option and coincidentally English was the most reported ancestry at almost 50 million in the 1980 census. Which would make them the largest ancestry group even today.

And now apparantley in the 2000 and 2011 censuses there are only around 25 million Americans of English descent.

So I ask again. Did 25 million English-Americans just evaporate? Or isn't it more likely that English is vastly undercounted in later censuses?
I'm not going to take issue with you, because I'm not clear what point exactly you're trying to make. Seems like you're trying to assert the "one drop rule" to English heritage, which is really really bad politics, and I won't touch that with a barge pole.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule

Suffice to say, I struggle with your assertion that the 6-7% who identify as "American" is a large proportion, particularly in the context that they are believed to be largely a mixed race polyglot, English/Creole Asian/French etc.

Here's what the wiki link in my previous post says about the term "American" in context.
Quote:
According to 2000 U.S census data, an increasing number of United States citizens identify simply as Americans on the question of ancestry.[4][5][6] According to the United States Census Bureau, the number of people in the United States who reported American and no other ancestry increased from 12.4 million in 1990 to 20.2 million in 2000.[7] This increase represents the largest numerical growth of any ethnic group in the United States during the 1990s.[8] The US Census Bureau says, "Ancestry refers to a person's ethnic origin or descent, 'roots,' or heritage, or the place of birth of the person or the person's parents or ancestors before their arrival in the United States".[9] American sociologist Mary C. Waters suggests that it may be speculated that mixed ethnicity or ancestry nominate a more recent and differentiated ethnic group.[10]

In the 2000 United States Census, 7.2 percent of the American population chose to identify itself as having American ancestry (see Race and ethnicity in the United States for a list of ancestries in the U.S.).[8] The four states in which a plurality of the population reported American ancestry are Arkansas (15.7%), Kentucky (20.7%), Tennessee (17.3%), and West Virginia (18.7%).[7] Sizable percentages of the populations of Alabama (16.8%), Mississippi (14.0%), North Carolina (13.7%), South Carolina (13.7%), Georgia (13.3%), and Indiana (11.8%) also reported American ancestry. In the Southern United States as a whole 11.2% reported American ancestry, second only to African American. American was the 4th most common ancestry reported in the Midwest (6.5%) and West (4.1%). All Southern states except for Delaware and Maryland reported at or above the national average of 7.2% American, but outside the South, only Missouri, Indiana, Ohio, Idaho, Maine. All Southern states except for Delaware, Maryland, Florida, and Texas reported 10% or more American, but outside the South, only Missouri and Indiana did so. American was in the top 5 ancestries reported in all Southern states except for Delaware, in 4 Midwestern states bordering the South (Indiana, Kansas, Missouri, Ohio) as well as Iowa, and 6 Northwestern states (Colorado, Idaho, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming), but only one Northeastern state, Maine. The pattern of areas with high levels of American is similar to that of areas with high levels of not reporting any national ancestry.[11]

In 2011, 20,875,080, 6.75% of the total estimated population, self-identified as having American ethnicity in the 2009-2011 American Community Survey.[1] An individual's decision to identify ethnically as American may have been due to mixed or unknown family origins among White Americans with surnames from the British Isles; or it may have been an ideological choice to promote nation-building, comparable to the creation of a distinct Soviet and Yugoslav people.

The long form decennial census questionnaire was replaced by the annual American Community Survey in 2005 which has a smaller sample size. The ancestry question is largely similar to the 2000 long form census.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
I'm not going to take issue with you, because I'm not clear what point exactly you're trying to make. Seems like you're trying to assert the "one drop rule" to English heritage, which is really really bad politics, and I won't touch that with a barge pole.

Suffice to say, I struggle with your assertion that the 6-7% who identify as "American" is a large proportion, particularly in the context that they are believed to be largely a mixed race polyglot, English/Creole Asian/French etc.

Here's what the wiki link in my previous post says about the term "American" in context.
Far from it. All I'm saying is that English ancestry is undercounted and a part of the explanation is that many simply identify as "American". Have you studie US demographics? Southern history? If so you would know that it was largely colonized by the English and Scotch-Irish and they have been there quite along time. French ancestry is also offcourse somewhat common(espc in Louisiana), some German ancestry exist aswell. But in general the large emigration wave of the 19th century bypassed the south.

Heres the 1980 census by state, I suggest you look up the southern states.

https://www.census.gov/population/ww...-10/tab03a.pdf

For example heres the demographics of Alabama 1980.

Population: 2,1 million

English ancestry: 857,864
French ancestry: 25,331
German ancestry: 98,120
Irish ancestry: 224,453

Among others.

The proportion is similar on the other southern states like Georgia and Mississippi in that English is overwhelmingly the most reported ancestry.

In the 2000 census, again, English ancestry has suddenly shrunken enormously while "American" ancestry has become very common. In the exact same areas(the south) where English used to be the largest ancestry by far.

And again, in the 1980 census English was the most reported ancestry(ahead of German) nationwide.

And I'm not the only one saying this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_American

Quote:
According to the American Community Survey in 2010 data, Americans reporting English ancestry made up an estimated 9.0% of the total U.S. population, and form the third largest European ancestry group after German Americans and Irish Americans.[5] However, demographers regard this as a serious undercount, as the index of inconsistency is high, and many, if not most, people from English stock have a tendency (since the introduction of a new 'American' category in the 2000 census) to identify as simply Americans[6][7][8][9] or if of mixed European ancestry, identify with a more recent and differentiated ethnic group.

Sources:

Sharing the Dream: White Males in a Multicultural America By Dominic J. Pulera.

Reynolds Farley, 'The New Census Question about Ancestry: What Did It Tell Us?', Demography, Vol. 28, No. 3 (August 1991), pp. 414, 421.

Stanley Lieberson and Lawrence Santi, 'The Use of Nativity Data to Estimate Ethnic Characteristics and Patterns', Social Science Research, Vol. 14, No. 1 (1985), pp. 44-6.

Stanley Lieberson and Mary C. Waters, 'Ethnic Groups in Flux: The Changing Ethnic Responses of American Whites', Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, Vol. 487, No. 79 (September 1986), pp. 82-86.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:50 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,051,692 times
Quote:
German ancestry is only the most common if you go by the the 2000 and 1990 censuses. In all censuses before that English ancestry was the most common. What happened in 1990 was that they introduced the "American" option where you didn't have to identify with a european ancestry because your family had been in the US so long. In the South "American" ancestry is very common... in reality they are of English, Scotch-Irish descent.

You also have to take into account that many German-Americans and Irish-Americans have some degree of English in them but they choose to indentify with the "cooler" ancestry.

Heres the results for the 1980 census
Workers
https://www.census.gov/population/ww...1-10/tab02.pdf

English: 26,3%(49,6m)
German: 26,1%(49,2m)

1990 census

http://www.census.gov/prod/cen1990/cqc/cqc14.pdf

German: 23%(58m)
English: 13%(33m)

2000 census

https://www.census.gov/prod/2004pubs/c2kbr-35.pdf

German: 15,2%(43m)
English: 8,7%(24m)

-

So basicly German ancestry have stayed about the same(give or take a few million) since 1980.... While nearly 26 million English-Americans just what? evaporated?
'Cooler' ancestry! Cooler! Bloody hell I didn't realise it was so 'un-cool' to be English! Just out of curiosity why is it much 'cooler' to say you have German ancestors exactly??

Old 10-11-2015, 03:27 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,487,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
Actually, it doesn't matter what you believe. The rule of law supersedes anything you may have in your heart, and it is the rule of law that maintains civility.

I'm afraid I disagree, Mag3. I will obey the rule of law only in so far as it does not violate God's Law (as instructed in Romans 13). When the two don't jive, I know what I must do, so you see, it does matter what one believes, as that will determine ones course of action.

All people will be judged by what they have in their heart, and no Christian will ever put country before God.

The U.S. has written into law a number of things lately (legalized abortion and the dissolution of the Biblical definition of marriage are two examples) that God considers 'Abominations,' so the rule of law cannot be condoned in such instances, and I doubt, given the times we live in, that we've seen the last of man-made laws that are in opposition to God's.

Shalom Aleichem,

Mahrie.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
'Cooler' ancestry! Cooler! Bloody hell I didn't realise it was so 'un-cool' to be English! Just out of curiosity why is it much 'cooler' to say you have German ancestors exactly??
Americans have a general dislike for the English.

English ancestry has a tendency to be seen as bland and boring.

There was a thread here(I think) with a question that basicly went "Which ethnic group has influenced the US the most?".... Needless to say, the English wasn't even mentioned. Apparantley even the Italians and Poles and whatnot have had a larger impact on American culture than the English.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:13 AM

30,487 posts, read 19,255,042 times
Quote:
You were asked by Jaggy to identify a Scottish dominated community to support your claim, and you didn't. You've not identified any 80% German, majority Italian, etc. here either, so pardon me, if I take your claims, *** c-u-m grano salis.
I'll concede that you might find some Scandinavian dominated communities in Minnesota, and almost nowhere else, but that's about it nowadays. The old enclaves are disappearing.
When my ancestors were in the British Isles, they were the dominant economic and military in the world. They emigrated to the USA and now the USA is 6 times the GDP of the UK and is the dominant economic, military and cultural power in the world. I see why my ancestors left and very glad they did.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:15 AM

16,685 posts, read 17,457,574 times
Quote:
Americans have a general dislike for the English.

English ancestry has a tendency to be seen as bland and boring.

There was a thread here(I think) with a question that basicly went "Which ethnic group has influenced the US the most?".... Needless to say, the English wasn't even mentioned. Apparantley even the Italians and Poles and whatnot have had a larger impact on American culture than the English.
News to me!

Actually the whole post is a bit daft!

Old 10-11-2015, 04:23 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,267,317 times
Quote:

But that's the way most Americans classify their ancestry when filling out the census?

Old 10-11-2015, 04:24 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,267,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
News to me!

Actually the whole post is a bit daft!
Not news to me. I know a few Americans who can't stand the English, usually people with minority ancestries like Italian.

You are gullible if you think all Americans have a liking to England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom