Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Brexit
Stay in EU/Bydand 35 36.08%
Leave EU/Adios! 62 63.92%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 10:43 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
So you agree, it is about immigration then?

For someone who claims to have no opinion on the issue, your posts seem heavily freighted to one side. Don't believe I've seen a single post from you making the case for remain.
I'm not making the case for either side. For me, the economic argument, in particular, is inconclusive.

The big issues are immigration, sovereignty and the democratic deficit at the heart of the EU. The EU is in need of serious reform and, in my opinion, it will take an existentialist threat like Brexit to start driving those. And if that doesn't work, then one has to question whether remaining in the EU is worthwhile.

In theory, the EU is a good thing. But, in its present form it clearly isn't working for millions of Brits. And, if the polls are to be believed, it isn't working for millions of other Europeans either.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:50 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post
Firstly, they are not EU citizens. Secondly, after Brexit, they'll be camped in Dover. So they'll soon find out what it's like.

What utter drivel you spout.
Ah, you selected only part of my post. I also mentioned EU citizens. I am quite aware those gathering on the coast of France aren't EU citizens. I mentioned them only in passing as wondering why they don't like the look of France..........

Boy, you're touchy aren't you? Thinking of moving to Holland huh? You won't be able to do that if we leave the EU........... Be careful with your insults pointed at me. Another guy did that a while back, and he isn't here anymore..........

I think you are genuinely frightened of the vote going to the outers. I believe this is for personal selfish reasons, rather than your concerns for the future of the UK. Calm down - we'll be ok. We've survived much worse than leaving the EU in our recent past.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:53 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I'm not making the case for either side. For me, the economic argument, in particular, is inconclusive.

The big issues are immigration, sovereignty and the democratic deficit at the heart of the EU. The EU is in need of serious reform and, in my opinion, it will take an existentialist threat like Brexit to start driving those. And if that doesn't work, then one has to question whether remaining in the EU is worthwhile.

In theory, the EU is a good thing. But, in its present form it clearly isn't working for millions of Brits. And, if the polls are to be believed, it isn't working for millions of other Europeans either.
The highlighted issues are all political, not economic, so i'm now even more unsure why you seem to be objecting.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:56 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,959 times
Quote:

I believe you're right Jaggy. The whole EU needs shaking up. The free movement of people, at least in the massive numbers the UK is dealing with, has to be addressed. It won't be so unless the EU is made to do so.

I believe the whole structure is in danger of collapse. Nobody believed the USSR would go as quickly as it did. When something is rotten at the core, it doesn't take much for it to fall apart.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
The highlighted issues are all political, not economic, so i'm now even more unsure why you seem to be objecting.
So what is your point? That political issues are not worth fixing? Or that they are not important?

Old 06-15-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
So what is your point? That political issues are not worth fixing? Or that they are not important?
No, political issues are worth fixing. My point is that I'm having an increasingly difficult time believing you.

You stated several times that you have "no opinion". Then said you didn't buy the economic argument in particular, and then used political issues to justify that. You seem to be tying yourself in knots in an attempt not to be associated with those who are overtly anti immigrant.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
No, political issues are worth fixing. My point is that I'm having an increasingly difficult time believing you.

You stated several times that you have "no opinion". Then said you didn't buy the economic argument in particular, and then used political issues to justify that. You seem to be tying yourself in knots in an attempt not to be associated with those who are overtly anti immigrant.
Whether you believe me or not is of no import to me.

I said that the economic argument is inconclusive. That applies to both sides.

I have not taken a position on immigration either. What I have tried to do is to explain where I think concerns over immigration reside.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:14 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,074 times
Quote:
Well destroy it is precisely what you are doing and have already done your little bit.

Time will prove me right.
Interestingly I have found the Remain campaign far more abusive and insulting throughout this Referendum debate.
It's almost as if they are the swivel-eyed loons frothing at the mouth.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Whether you believe me or not is of no import to me.

I said that the economic argument is inconclusive. That applies to both sides.

I have not taken a position on immigration either. What I have tried to do is to explain where I think concerns over immigration reside.
So, you've said the economic argument is inconclusive on both sides, and haven't taken a position on immigration, but all your posts are heavily freighted toward leave. So what have you taken a position on?

Old 06-15-2016, 11:16 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,074 times
Quote:
Welcome to my world.

I've been doing the same with about 200 others elsewhere. Not one credible answer has been forthcoming.

These people are thick. Frankly, it's a waste of time trying to debate with them. I'm utterly sick of it all.
See what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom