Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Brexit
Stay in EU/Bydand 35 36.08%
Leave EU/Adios! 62 63.92%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 09:40 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,656,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
^Why can't England have 90 million ppl? Japan has 120 million, and is far more mountainous, yet it's doing fine. I mean yeah the economy is not doing so well but the quality of life remains high.
Indeed! Two of its closest neighbors Belgium and Holland have had population densities that are 30-40% higher than the UK for decades, if not hundreds of years, and they haven't noticeably suffered as a result.
Because the immigration issue features so prominently in the psyche of the leavers, when it gets right down to it you wonder what, exactly, motivates them.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:41 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,940,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Out of curiosity, is the freedom of movement that big of a concern in the UK? Does it bother everyone that other Europeans come there to work?

When I lived in Germany, there were a noticeable number of men from the UK working on construction sites ("Brickies"). English friends of mine have worked in France and Italy.

Not seeking a row. Just curious. Cheers.
I don't think it is so much about freedom of movement as about access to benefits including the NHS and social housing.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:47 AM

504 posts, read 466,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I think it fair to say that the UK does not want yet more gypsies begging on its streets
Far more of those in the rest of the EU. Or as it will be shortly, "the EU".

Old 06-15-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Indeed! Two of its closest neighbors Belgium and Holland have had population densities that are 30-40% higher than the UK for decades, if not hundreds of years, and they haven't noticeably suffered as a result.
Because the immigration issue features so prominently in the psyche of the leavers, when it gets right down to it you wonder what, exactly, motivates them.
Most of the UK really isn't impacted all that much by immigration with percentages of immigrants below the 10% mark.

London, on the other hand, has over 23% immigrants.

Source: House of Commons briefing paper, May 2016.

As I said above, there is concern over access to benefits. There is also concern that the rest of the country could go the way of London and, of course, concern over terrorists 'sneaking' in amongst the immigrants.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Give the man a cigar! Well said, and right on the money. Boy, it sure took us a long time to get here.........
Been saying it for 20 years. Not on here, but a vast posting history elsewhere.

Which does not mean to say I want to commit national suicide as a solution. Some of us are capable of weighing up options and evaluating. Though, evidently, not enough.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:51 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,440,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Out of curiosity, is the freedom of movement that big of a concern in the UK? Does it bother everyone that other Europeans come there to work?

When I lived in Germany, there were a noticeable number of men from the UK working on construction sites ("Brickies"). English friends of mine have worked in France and Italy.

Not seeking a row. Just curious. Cheers.
Yes, this is the major concern. The real problem is we have a government with their heads in the sand. We need homes....... millions of them. We used to have millions of council homes, with reasonable rents. Many were built in the 30s, but the real building took place after the Second World War.

Winston Churchill was thrown out on his ear in the 1945 election, and a Labour government came to power. Even under dire financial times, they set about borrowing money, and building homes. I lived on three such council housing estates myself in the 50s and 60s.

When Margaret Thatcher came to power in 1979, she set about selling off many such homes. The best of them were snapped up, many very cheaply. Council house building came to a dead halt practically, and the private sector was expected to take up the slack.

Many new homes were built in the 70s and 80s. I bought a new house myself in 1977 when a young husband with a wife and baby son. Things seemed to be working quite well with supply and demand reasonably in tandem. But house building slowed down in Thatchers recessions, and never really recovered.

Now, with massive immigration, housing supply is a major problem, and getting worse. For many ordinary folks, even renting is a dream, never mind buying a home. Something's got to give, and it will.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Most of the UK really isn't impacted all that much by immigration with percentages of immigrants below the 10% mark.

As I said above, there is concern over access to benefits. There is also concern that the rest of the country could go the way of London and, of course, concern over terrorists 'sneaking' in amongst the immigrants.
I don't believe it is about benefits. It's sheer numbers, and the minority (mainly Bulgarians and Romanians) who are loutish, squat properties, fly tip and are generally a pain in the backside. Very noticeable though.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:54 AM

8,873 posts, read 8,464,126 times
Quote:

Most big cities with considerable wealth around the world have foreign population around that percentage, the only exceptions are the Far East. For example, 50% of the population are foreign in Amsterdam.

I understand that London is really really expensive and the housing is an outright disaster, but population density is quite a silly argument. There are far denser countries out there and some of them are doing pretty well.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:55 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,656,231 times
Quote:

Access to benefits for whom?

Old 06-15-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Access to benefits for whom?
People moving to the UK from other EU countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom