Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 12:57 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,516,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post

Can the UK survive Brexit, of course it can but if it was allowed to go ahead there would be an avalanche of money leaving the UK and it would take a hell of a long time, if ever to recover from that kind of loss
I think we'll be ok.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCNews/s...344384/photo/1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 02:34 AM

1,129 posts, read 470,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post

I read that this morning which is great to read but if you had posted all of my original message

Quote:
It will be similar for other deals, why would you work to set up a deal with the UK when you have all of Europe in one single deal.

This is an old article now so the damage and loss to the UK is certainly greater now but at the time in January a Trillion dollars had already been moved out of the UK due to the Brexit shambles https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/07/i...ets/index.html

If I was the CEO of a very large company I would also move my head office to Europe to maintain deals in place, its bad enough with fluctuating exchange rates, add extra tax and bureaucracy at the ports it would be extremely challenging to continue in the UK as many companies are deciding already.

Can the UK survive Brexit, of course it can but if it was allowed to go ahead there would be an avalanche of money leaving the UK and it would take a hell of a long time, if ever to recover from that kind of loss.
You will see that in the latest good news for the UK of investing billions it's still a lot less than the trillions leaving

I do have faith in the UK though to stand on its own if it had to, British spirit cannot be underestimated.

I just believe being in the EU is a better option which is why I would prefer it stay

Last edited by britinspain; 02-28-2019 at 03:29 AM..

Old 02-28-2019, 03:44 AM

336 posts, read 147,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post

As was pointed out - the huge influx of a staggeringly different culture could prove unusually deleterious.

Is this what happened in US,Canada,Australia and New Zealand?

Old 02-28-2019, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
I read that this morning which is great to read but if you had posted all of my original message

You will see that in the latest good news for the UK of investing billions it's still a lot less than the trillions leaving

I do have faith in the UK though to stand on its own if it had to, British spirit cannot be underestimated.

I just believe being in the EU is a better option which is why I would prefer it stay
Whatever anyone's views on the EU the clear fact is that Britain is still a hugely attractive proposition for investment - which is why it attracts more foreign inward investment than any other country in the EU.
A lot of investment managers predict super-charged growth for the UK economy after Brexit with a massive influx of capital from investors currently holding back until the outcome is clear.
It's the eurozone which is heading into recession - have you had a look at Germany's GDP figures lately ?
Of course all this gets lost in the tsunami of Project Fear MK 2 but the British people are not fooled by Establishment guff.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:35 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,997,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Add Australia and New Zealand to that, and it's a deal. It's hard to be sure which way this is all going to pan out. Parliament is in turmoil.
Such a grouping would be impressive as a trade network. That would be complemented by the history of defense/security cooperation.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:59 AM

7,682 posts, read 5,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cahpsuth3 View Post
Is this what happened in US,Canada,Australia and New Zealand?
Canada and Australia use the points system for regular immigration which increases the probability of successful integration. Perhaps the U.K. should consider something similar.

In the Canadian point system, for example, a score of 67 or more is needed to be considered as an immigrant. The government sets a target for how many will be accepted in a particular year.

https://www.canadim.com/express-entr...ction-factors/

As you can see from the article, points are given for education level, language proficiency, age, work experience, arranged employment and adaptability.

Edited to add: Canada welcomes young immigrants with in-demand skills because it needs them. The population is aging.

Last edited by cdnirene; 02-28-2019 at 11:16 AM..

Old 02-28-2019, 11:11 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,733,559 times
Italy is in Technical recession, Germany looks to head that way, whilst the UK is poised for growth. Bring on No Deal!!! We need to believe in ourselves and create our own opportunities. C'mon people its Britain we're talking about here; forget the empire, forget the "Rule the Waves" nonsense, just look at all our research programs, our high quality services, our science Nobel laureates (2nd in the world), our higher education institutions, our spirit. If dozens of other countries can make it on their own how can the 5th largest economy out of 193 countries not? The UK is and for a long time yet be an attractive investment.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:18 AM

Latest 2018 GDP growth figures for the G7.

US +2.9%
Canada +1.8%
Germany +1.5%
France +1.5%
U.K. +1.4%
Italy +0.8%
Japan +0.7%

Just saying.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:11 AM

1,877 posts, read 679,174 times
Just before the referendum the UK was top of that list.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:43 AM

1,129 posts, read 470,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
Just before the referendum the UK was top of that list.

This isn't comforting either

Quote:
Britain's hopes of a trade deal with America just suffered a big blow
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/01/b...xit/index.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom