Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 05:52 PM

1,139 posts, read 466,887 times

Advertisements

MnM258 over there is already less prosperous what with over 40 million on food stamps for a start.

What an utter pointless and passingly immature thing there from you britinspain if only a reduced section of society had voted. Apart from a daft parliament and incompetent lack of experienced maturity it is a rather silly stance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 01:07 AM

1,129 posts, read 471,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
MnM258 over there is already less prosperous what with over 40 million on food stamps for a start.

What an utter pointless and passingly immature thing there from you britinspain if only a reduced section of society had voted. Apart from a daft parliament and incompetent lack of experienced maturity it is a rather silly stance.
It wasn’t pointless or immature.....

If you had bothered to read the full article you would have seen that it was mainly only the very old that voted conservative, had the over sixties not voted, Jeremy Corbyn would now be Prime Minister.

This was shocking to me because I can’t stand him or his ideas, but it does show how Boris and his policies are totally rejected by the working age population of the UK.

It also shows there is likely to be a dramatic change coming in the very near future.

If Brexit is completed, there’s also very good reason to believe it will be short lived.

Last edited by britinspain; 12-31-2019 at 01:18 AM..

Old 12-31-2019, 01:21 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,290,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
It wasn’t pointless or immature.....

If you had bothered to read the full article you would have seen that it was only the very old that voted conservative, had the over sixties not voted, Jeremy Corbyn would now be Prime Minister.

This was shocking to me because I can’t stand him or his ideas, but it does show how Boris and his policies are totally rejected by the working age population of the UK.

It also shows there is likely to be a dramatic change coming in the very near future.

If Brexit is completed, there’s very good reason to believe it will be short lived.
It only shows that, if, as people age they don't change their politics. It's pretty easy to convince the young that you can deliver on promises of unicorns and rainbows. Consider 18-24 years old people may only be between 7-13 years out of believing in Santa. Many haven't had reality slap them upside the head, and show them what the real world is.

As I've said many times, by 25 I knew it all, and had it all figured out. By 35 I knew I knew very little, and didn't have a clue. I must have gained wisdom in those 10 years according to Socrates anyway.

Old 12-31-2019, 01:36 AM

Quote:
It's pretty easy to convince the young that you can deliver on promises of unicorns and rainbows

It’s not only the young who believe in unicorns and rainbows....

Old 12-31-2019, 02:07 AM

Quote:
It’s not only the young who believe in unicorns and rainbows....
Ah, there ya go.

And we were having honest open and without accusation transfer of information.

Oh, well may next year.

Old 12-31-2019, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Ah, there ya go.

And we were having honest open and without accusation transfer of information.

Oh, well may next year.
Sorry, couldn’t help myself...

Happy new year to everyone.....

Old 12-31-2019, 02:54 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,449,986 times
Quote:

Happy new year to everyone.....
Same to you britinspain, and all the other cast of characters in this long running thread. I'm back in the hospital over Christmas, and haven't had the energy for one of my usual rants.

Doesn't mean I'm not keeping an eye on what's going on here!

Good luck for all in the New Year coming.

Old 12-31-2019, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Same to you britinspain, and all the other cast of characters in this long running thread. I'm back in the hospital over Christmas, and haven't had the energy for one of my usual rants.

Doesn't mean I'm not keeping an eye on what's going on here!

Good luck for all in the New Year coming.
Sorry to hear that Dave, don’t drive the nurses too mad whilst there...

Look forward to your ranting come the new year.

Old 12-31-2019, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
So are we going to see 50 independent states and a disbanding of the USA any time soon? Your argument seems to suggest that it would be better all round for everybody if that happened.

The US would never do that as Americans know it would make them weaker and less prosperous overall, but many of them wish it on others outside the US it seems, encourage the squashing of any moves by other countries to come together with a united voice to fight for their own interests, 'divide et impera'?
At least once a year there are calls for a state or group of states to secede. However the Federal Government's use of force to stop prior attempts still rings through.

You don't know what any state would do. There are several that certainly entertain the idea regularly. The primary motivators are Federal Overreach, not economics.

Old 12-31-2019, 04:29 AM

434 posts, read 248,865 times
Quote:
Just read the following which is interesting.
Yeap, it really puts the results into context. Alot of the long term Labour seats that flipped had high average age so really were normalising rather then bucking the trend.

Only parties that focus on the grey vote will have a chance at a majority in the foreseeable future. That's something that Corbynism really lacks, if the next Labour leader can't appeal to the 55+ voter they are going to be out for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom